Colorado & SD Cards

eusty

What's the largest SD card you have got running in a Colorado?

I wanted to put in a 16GB...but it doesn't read it, nor a 8GB although I've seen it reported some do work.

4GB is the biggest mine will read. The 16GB & 8GB were Sandisk.

What on Earth would you need to put on a Colorado that would require that amount of memory?

What's the largest SD card you have got running in a Colorado?

I wanted to put in a 16GB...but it doesn't read it, nor a 8GB although I've seen it reported some do work.

4GB is the biggest mine will read. The 16GB & 8GB were Sandisk.

What on Earth would you need to put on a Colorado that would require that amount of memory?

Maps? :)

Bitmap overlays rather than vectors

Edited by eusty

FWIW, I have a 8GB Transcend C6 SDHC in my CO 300. Have about 4GB of various *.img files on it. The last file I added it would only read half the file, I have yet to trouble shoot why.

I have an Oregon 550t, so I have no idea whether my experience is relevant in the case of a Colorado, but here goes...

I was chasing down a cache in a nature preserve about a week ago when the batteries began to give out on me. I stopped what I was doing, in rather deep brush, to change out the batteries. When I removed the almost-dead batteries, the metal cover that holds the SD (actually microSD) card in place somehow sprang loose, and the card came flying out. I never did find the card in the underbrush, and it held the City Navigator maps I use to get turn-by-turn directions, along with TOPO 24K maps for my area. The now-missing card was a 4GB.

After finding my last cache of the day and before returning home, I stopped at my local Best Buy and purchased a replacement card. I'd honestly forgotten what size card I'd had in the unit. The store had a decent deal on an 8GB SDHC card, so I bought it, took it home, and used MapInstall to load my City Navigator and TOPO 24K maps on to it.

That's when the strangeness began. I had no trouble selecting map areas to load until the gauge on the right side of the MapInstall window showed that I'd filled up almost 4GB of storage space. After that, depending on which map segment I added, the gauge shot up to the full 8GB level, the gauge turned red, and MapInstall threw up a warning that I'd selected more data than could fit on the card.

The upshot was that MapInstall seems to recognize the entire 8GB of available space on the card, but can't (or won't) allow any more 4GB worth of map information to be selected and transferred to the unit.

I'm contemplating getting a smaller 4GB card to use in the 550t,then using the 8GB card in a devise that knows what to do with it.

Typing this post triggered an old memory: Could I running up against a file system limit? Does FAT32 allow for files larger than 4GB?

--Larry

You might be mixing up things. The biggest file you can put is 4G (for some reason).

The 4GB for a file is a FAT32 limit, the files I'm using are about 1.2GB max.

I took the SanDisk 16gb class 2 microSDHC out of my Oregon 550, put it in a SD adapter and popped it in a Colorado 400t, ver. 3.70 software and all worked fine. I tried a 32gb SDHC and it kind of worked. It was recognized in mass storage but not all maps were read by the GPS.

I tried a 16GB Sandisk but class 4 which I wouldn't have thought the speed would make much difference, also it was on the 300....but I'm not sure how the 400 is different?

The trouble is buying different SD cards to find one which works is getting expensive as I've not much use for them if they don't work.... :(

I wouldn't think class would matter either. Just tried the same microSD memory in a Colorado 300 and it also worked. It did take what seemed like 4 - 5 minutes from the GPS to load the maps for the first time but it's like over 10gb of maps.

On my Colorado 300 some cards will not work, not sure what the issue is, but some will just hang on boot on the gps. I have no clue why but I can put a 8g just fine, where another will not work. I did find a 8g Sandisk that did work so thats what I use now. I have put CN, half the US topo 100k,some 24k, and some birdseye and it works like a champ. I have not tried bigger than 8g

Maximum number of TOTAL map tiles is around 4000.

Any idea what happens when you exceed the limit?

I might have to experiment as when I put the larger cards in I have to admit I put either 7 or 12GB of birdseye maps on, maybe the issue is the number of tiles....

Maximum number of TOTAL map tiles is around 4000.

Any idea what happens when you exceed the limit?

I might have to experiment as when I put the larger cards in I have to admit I put either 7 or 12GB of birdseye maps on, maybe the issue is the number of tiles....

No, but this has nothing to do with Birdseye, only with vector maps.

With Birdseye, you would only need to watch the file number limit, AFAIK.

The problem is solved...operator error!!!

I feel a bit of a numpty, but when I had time to check the 16GB card in the PC all the birdseye files where in the root! :blink: Moved them to a \garmin\birdseye folder and they work fine now!

Sometime I amaze myself with my stupidity.....