Cache no longer needs maintenance

Is there a way for a person other than the cache owner to remove a "needs maintenance" log? I saw on the log that a cache I was planning to visit needed a new container, so I brought one with me and swapped it out. Problem solved, except that the cache (GC1HF2T) still has a "needs maintenance" attribute. Any way this can be removed easily, or is the only option to email the cache owner?

Is there a way for a person other than the cache owner to remove a "needs maintenance" log? I saw on the log that a cache I was planning to visit needed a new container, so I brought one with me and swapped it out. Problem solved, except that the cache (GC1HF2T) still has a "needs maintenance" attribute. Any way this can be removed easily, or is the only option to email the cache owner?

I'm assuming the cache owner isn't playing so an E-mail would probably ignored, if received at all. You'll have to let it stand. I thank you though, there are so many older caches from 2000's and 2001's, that are being archived due to no cache owners, I wish more people would replace old caches!

I'd email the cache owner, just saying you've replaced the container and they're OK to post the maintenance performed log. Click on their name under the cache title, and check when they last logged in. It could be that life has thrown them a curve ball, and your kind action has taken something off their plate. Thanks from me too!

The CO appears to still be active. His last log in was May 23 2011. So hopefully he's reading his email and logs and will post a Owner Maintenance log.

No, only the cache owner or a reviewer can remove the "needs maintenance" attribute.

I don't agree with replacing containers without the cache owner's permission.

This is the problem with well-intentioned "community maintenance". No matter how much effort put forth, you still aren't the cache owner, you can't post the required "owner maintenance" log. You can't post updated/corrected coordinates, if necessary.

Very often, the reviewers will do a sweep of caches that have long-standing issues. They can and do disable said caches until the owner responds. If there is no response from the owner within a reasonable time, then the cache might very well be archived.

It's nice to see the old caches continue existing, but if the cache owner is no longer active, then the kindest thing to do would be to archive it. Then someone could place a new cache there, perhaps as a tribute to the previous cache.

No, only the cache owner or a reviewer can remove the "needs maintenance" attribute.

I don't agree with replacing containers without the cache owner's permission.

This is the problem with well-intentioned "community maintenance". No matter how much effort put forth, you still aren't the cache owner, you can't post the required "owner maintenance" log. You can't post updated/corrected coordinates, if necessary.

Very often, the reviewers will do a sweep of caches that have long-standing issues. They can and do disable said caches until the owner responds. If there is no response from the owner within a reasonable time, then the cache might very well be archived.

It's nice to see the old caches continue existing, but if the cache owner is no longer active, then the kindest thing to do would be to archive it. Then someone could place a new cache there, perhaps as a tribute to the previous cache.

Sad but true. There are too many unmaintained cache out there. When you see a cache that need maintenance, it is OK to offer to help out, email the CO before going, but if the CO is gone then maybe it's time for the cache to be archived. :(

It probably would have been best to have contacted the owner before fixing their cache.

In extremely rare cases the local reviewer might accept the community maintenance and remove the 'Needs Maintenance' attribute...I wouldn't expect this, though.

It is not uncommon for an owner to not know how to 'neutralize' the 'Needs Maintenance' attribute, so a PM explaining that they should post an 'Owner Maintenance' log stating that the cache was maintained by you could be in order.

I'll agree with most. Where-as it's the cache owners responsibility to take care of their caches.

If they can't take care of it, then it should be adopted by someone who can and will maintain it or archived completely.

If you maintain it once (for them), then they'll just sit back and let you do all the work for them.

If you know the person or get permission - then you can help all you want!

It probably would have been best to have contacted the owner before fixing their cache.

In what way does this act of community maintenance make a bad situation worse?

That's what I used to think.

It's one thing when you're helping out an active owner and saving them a trip. However, caches that aren't being maintained by the owner just continue to have problems.

There are even some owners in our area that believe that the finders should do their cache maintenance for them. One in particular has placed a large number of caches and does no maintenance - wet logs, broken containers, etc. It's a horror show hitting their caches. If they were archived, other (probably better) caches would come in to replace them.

By encouraging throw down caching. We've already had one person state they will replace any missing cache they can, and telling us cache owners to like it or lump it. I can't help but wonder how many secondary caches they've left due to an incorrect assumption that a cache "must be missing since I can't find it". As a cache seeker, I will only replace a cache after receiving explicit permission from the owner. During this conversation, I will find out exactly where the cache should be, how it was hidden and what kind of container they prefer. As a cache owner, I cringe at the thought of someone going out to one of my caches, spending 5 minutes hunting, then spitting out a film can. That puts me in a predicament, forcing me to either accept one cache hidden as I intended, and one cache hidden not as I intended, at ground zero, or, running out as soon as I get the log to remove their litter from my cache site.

By encouraging throw down caching. We've already had one person state they will replace any missing cache they can, and telling us cache owners to like it or lump it. I can't help but wonder how many secondary caches they've left due to an incorrect assumption that a cache "must be missing since I can't find it". As a cache seeker, I will only replace a cache after receiving explicit permission from the owner. During this conversation, I will find out exactly where the cache should be, how it was hidden and what kind of container they prefer. As a cache owner, I cringe at the thought of someone going out to one of my caches, spending 5 minutes hunting, then spitting out a film can. That puts me in a predicament, forcing me to either accept one cache hidden as I intended, and one cache hidden not as I intended, at ground zero, or, running out as soon as I get the log to remove their litter from my cache site.

Good answer, but not to my question: I referred to this act, which was not a replacement of a possibly-missing cache, but of a found damaged cache — a very different proposition.

What is? I was asking a question, not stating a position.

It's one thing when you're helping out an active owner and saving them a trip. However, caches that aren't being maintained by the owner just continue to have problems.

There are even some owners in our area that believe that the finders should do their cache maintenance for them. One in particular has placed a large number of caches and does no maintenance - wet logs, broken containers, etc. It's a horror show hitting their caches. If they were archived, other (probably better) caches would come in to replace them.

I can see that. But it's not obvious that's the case in this instance. Seems to me it's at least possible this was a case of saving an active owner a trip. So is there a reason to disparage the OP's action?

That, again, is a question for which I'd be interested in an answer, not a rhetorical device, in case I wasn't clear.

What is? I was asking a question, not stating a position.

I can see that. But it's not obvious that's the case in this instance. Seems to me it's at least possible this was a case of saving an active owner a trip. So is there a reason to disparage the OP's action?

That, again, is a question for which I'd be interested in an answer, not a rhetorical device, in case I wasn't clear.

Because if the CO was doing their job then the OP would not be posting a message on this board asking for a way to clear a NM without involving the owner. Not to mention the CO never acknowledged the original NM or took any action on it.

. I referred to this act, which was not a replacement of a possibly-missing cache, but of a found damaged cache — a very different proposition.

Sorry 'bout that. I should pay closer attention to statements I reply to.

My biggest concern with the situation I was describing is that the seeker hadn't found the cache, and as such, they really don't know how the owner set it up. As you pointed out, finding a broken container is a whole 'nother critter. When I find myself in this position, my highly biased cache aesthetics kick in. I am one of those curmudgeons who believe that all caches are not created equal. In my mind, there are great caches, good caches, mediocre caches and crappy caches. I will go above and beyond to fix up what I consider to be a good cache, up to and including replacing a damaged container without prior consent. However, I will not do anything to help what I consider to be a crappy cache, prefering instead to let it die a natural and inevitable death.

I am reading this topic with interest but have a question. In my area there are TONS of caches with 5 or more DNFs and no Founds since early 2010 or even 2009. Nobody seems to be fixing them, archiving them or in any way making an effort to correct the problem. I feel like they are taking up cache sites where someone could place a nice active cache. What is the procedure, other than just logging a DNF? I've even emailed the cache owner and asked if they are still playing. I've tried logging Needs Maintenance but it's been weeks and still no movement. Maybe this topic is addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it. Thanks!

I am reading this topic with interest but have a question. In my area there are TONS of caches with 5 or more DNFs and no Founds since early 2010 or even 2009. Nobody seems to be fixing them, archiving them or in any way making an effort to correct the problem. I feel like they are taking up cache sites where someone could place a nice active cache. What is the procedure, other than just logging a DNF? I've even emailed the cache owner and asked if they are still playing. I've tried logging Needs Maintenance but it's been weeks and still no movement. Maybe this topic is addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Scroll down to the "Published" log, which usually is from the current moderator for the area, and contact them and alert them to the problem. I did that with a cache that had 6 consecutive DNF's in a row and a NM. Sometimes the Mods just need them brought to their attention and they take care of the rest.

. I referred to this act, which was not a replacement of a possibly-missing cache, but of a found damaged cache — a very different proposition.

Sorry 'bout that. I should pay closer attention to statements I reply to.

My biggest concern with the situation I was describing is that the seeker hadn't found the cache, and as such, they really don't know how the owner set it up. As you pointed out, finding a broken container is a whole 'nother critter. When I find myself in this position, my highly biased cache aesthetics kick in. I am one of those curmudgeons who believe that all caches are not created equal. In my mind, there are great caches, good caches, mediocre caches and crappy caches. I will go above and beyond to fix up what I consider to be a good cache, up to and including replacing a damaged container without prior consent. However, I will not do anything to help what I consider to be a crappy cache, prefering instead to let it die a natural and inevitable death.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with the Riffster.

(My god I need to get down to FL and cache with you!)

If I feel it's a worthy cache and I can help, I'll fix it as best I can.

Otherwise, sayonara.

I have one local cache that I had been to (it was actually my second cache that I had done) I keep it on my watch list, and after a couple of DNF's I went and checked on it myself, because it was very close to where I live. now, having been there several times, either to swap out travel bugs, or to introduce a new cacher to the game, I was very familiar with the hide, and came prepared with a similar-sized container. I looked around the area, and even a bit further out, thinking maybe someone moved it... Being an ammo can and in an area with very little other option where it could have gone, I placed a replacement cache, and posted a log as such. I also emailed the Cache owner, nicely telling them the situation, and offering to adopt it if they wished.

Now mind you, this Cache owner had only one hide, 10 finds, their most recent find was in Feb of 2006, and this hide was made in Dec of 05.

I wasn't expecting a response, but figured what the heck... It's a courtesy to make the effort to let them know...

I ended up getting a really nice email back like this:

Thanks for offering to adopt the cache. I've had several family emergencies and dont have time to take care of it anymore.

Here's the email I sent him:

I have been to your cache "City Limits" several times. This is a great location to introduce new folks to caching, a good size cache, not too far from town, and easy to find. I am very interested in a cache staying in this location, and I went and checked on it today after there were a couple of DNF's on it. I knew right where it should have been, and even searched all around in surrounding clumps of vegetation, just in case it re-hid improperly by the last ones to find it, and no luck.

My daughter had a new cache container ready to go, of the "regular size" type, so we went ahead and replaced it for now. The vegetation is really thick right now, so it hides well, but this container will be too visible in the wintertime, as it has a white lid.

As this cache is really close to where I live, I figured I would offer to adopt this cache from you and keep good care of it if you would like... I have a couple of ammo cans, and some other cache containers that would work very well in this location.

If not, you can come by when you have time and replace the cache with whatever replacement container you may have, and just let me know when you do, and i will come and pick up my other temporary container, so my daughter can take it to where we were going to put it. Just take and put the logbook and stuff in the new one and leave the other one next to it, and I'll come by later.

Either way, let me know, so I can make arrangements.

Thanks for the Cache,

Aaron Wadzinski a.k.a. CedarPointFreak, part of TeakTrunkMonkey

I still have yet to hear back on a reply I made to him regarding actually going through the process of doing the adoption, but it's only been a couple days...