Cache Camera Full..

Hi all, there's a disposable camera in a cache I'm quite close to with a note on it to "Take a picture of yourself".

From the logs the camera seems to have been full since 2007 and folks report it as being full every couple of months. I can't tell from the logs who left it and since it's been reported empty for soooo long I'm thinking the owner's not coming back for it.

I'm thinking about getting it developed (or trying to at least). If I do get pictures out of the camera, what should I do with them? Is there a protocol for/against posting them on the cache page?

TIA.

Posting such photos is frequently done, so I would assume that cachers who took pictures of themselves are willing to have them posted. (You may find a lot of photos with no face visible.) I would not hesitate to log a note and attach the photos. If someone objects, say sorry and take it down. I would not try to identify individuals, but if anyone steps up to identify themselves, I would add the caption.

Edward

Is it digital or film? If its film the film has a shelf life of only a couple of years. If it doesn't get developed in that time any images are destroyed. The film also gets destroyed from a allot of heat. Chances are the film is dead and would be a waste of time and money to try and develop.

Is it digital or film? If its film the film has a shelf life of only a couple of years. If it doesn't get developed in that time any images are destroyed. The film also gets destroyed from a allot of heat. Chances are the film is dead and would be a waste of time and money to try and develop.

Film degrades. It may not be dead.

Try it. Warn whoever processes it it may not be in 'top quality' condition!

If they do film to digital, it may be easier to get that done, than scan prints.

Post a Note to the cache page, and load the images. Or load on another site and provide a link in the note.

(If they are loaded on the web page as a note they should show in the gallery)

Yes, develop it -- post the pics online, and maybe put the pysical photos in a little album in the cache itself, if there is space? The cache owner (if they are still about) would most likely thank you for doing their work anyway, and you can always send them the digital photos if they subsequently request it.

Im amazed the camera is still there-- here, the only one I knew of was stolen before being half full...

Im amazed the camera is still there-- here, the only one I knew of was stolen before being half full...

There was one of those here too. the camera got stolen on day 2 of the caches life

I had the opposite problem. I got a good deal on a bunch of the cameras and put them in my caches as swag (with a label on them stating they were swag) and people were opening them and using them as cache cameras. I really had no interest in developing the film so threw them away when I eventually archived the caches.

There was one of those here too. the camera got stolen on day 2 of the caches life

Interesting. I've been around pretty long, but certainly there are people who have been around longer. Cache Camera's were somewhat popular in "the good old days", but are a relic of an era gone by. I personally never heard of one being stolen. And I'm talking about the disposable ones, of course. I did it on a 2004 placement, and thanks for the reminder, if I ever find that thing again, I should get it developed. :blink:

Anyways, I did see an "abandoned" cache where someone took it and got it developed. I'd say go for it. But most likely you'd post them to the cache page via a note, and it will slip off the page after 5 logs. Well, they'll always be in the Gallery, and when people view all logs.

Posting such photos is frequently done, so I would assume that cachers who took pictures of themselves are willing to have them posted.

If someone took their own picture, it's almost certain they knew it would probably end up on the cache page.

The only way to know what's on there is to have the film processed.

Since most places only charge for the images that 'come out', you have nothing to loose if the film is no longer good.

Having managed a photo lab, I've seen 20 year old film come out just fine. Age and heat will degrade the image, mostly the color quality, but with today's equipment*, there is a good chance that the pics will come out just fine.

Also, as was noted above, most labs will only make you pay for what comes out, and in my lab, the customer could refuse a pic even if they just didn't like it.

*The equipment I was working with scanned the negs and the photo paper was digitally exposed, then developed. The software could do a good deal of tweaking contrasts and balancing colors that just won't happen on a traditional optical printer, although even those could do quite a bit. Not sure about other brands, but if it's a Fuji Frontier system, this is what I worked on. I'm especially partial to the 390, you can run a roll of film from start to finish, in under 12 mins. One Hour my foot...

Thanks for the advice folks.

Got the film developed the other day, pics came out perfect! Some are a bit dark but I'll bet that's more to do with the dark forest than the age of the film.

Will get a small water proof album and retunr the photos, as well as scanning and posting them.

Also purchased a couple more cameras, let hope it less then five year before they get processed.

Got the film developed the other day, pics came out perfect! Some are a bit dark but I'll bet that's more to do with the dark forest than the age of the film.

Will get a small water proof album and retunr the photos, as well as scanning and posting them.

Also purchased a couple more cameras, let hope it less then five year before they get processed.

I think that you are awesome for doing this. I need to grab a disposable camera for the cache I am getting rdy to place.

I'll never find the cache page, but the one I've seen someone develop on an abandoned cache was developed by an active old-timer who joined in 2001 or 2002, and they and their Geo-buds were able to identify probably 90% of the cachers pictured. You probably won't be able to do that, but you could ask in your note when you post it to have people identify themselves or other people. And you can edit the details for that particular image as the usernames come in. If anyone is that interested in the project, of course. :)

EDIT: I just thought of another thing. Many people who placed disposable cache camera's in the olden days asked people to state in their log which picture number they were in, and I do remember people actually doing this on several occasions. So check out all the logs, I guess.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I've taken my picture with a cache camera 5 or 6 times. I recall maybe 2 of them eventually being developed and posted on the cache page. A funny thing happened with one of the pictures... turns out my friend placed the cache and recognized me when he developed the photos. Neither one of us knew the other was a cacher.