I found a micro but what cache is it for?

>> The log had not been signed for over a year

That is a pretty good indication of an abandoned, archived cache. You could get a name and date off the log, see if you can find that user, and check their logs for that date. Or, if you post the coordinates here, and a reviewer with some (*cough*) spare time on their hands may be able to look it up.

That is a pretty good indication of an abandoned, archived cache. You could get a name and date off the log, see if you can find that user, and check their logs for that date. Or, if you post the coordinates here, and a reviewer with some (*cough*) spare time on their hands may be able to look it up.

Kind of jumping to conclussions here? Probably, but with some cache locations, we're all aware that caches can go without being found for a year and still be active. I vote for checking with the reviewer after you take the coords.

Kind of jumping to conclussions here? Probably, but with some cache locations, we're all aware that caches can go without being found for a year and still be active. I vote for checking with the reviewer after you take the coords.

There is a cache in my area (difficult climb, etc.) that I'm targetting for Sept/Oct. Why? I've had an injury lately which limits my climbing + I'm temporarily on blood thinners (I'd hate to cut myself seriously while away from help). Plus, I live in Phoenix and it'll start cooling off again in Sept/Oct. This particular cache hasn't been visited in over a year already and my plans for going for it are still months away. The cache is still active and the CO is still very active. It's a puzzle cache that I solved through an extra hint from him via email.

Don't assume that just because it's a year old it's abandoned. Bad assumption.

BTW: Just checked - the one I'm targetting was last found 11/6/2009. It's a terrain 4.5. :)

Edited by Redfist

What... with "pretty good indication"? If I had said, "proof", I might be jumping to a conclusion. In addition, the type of cache that you are referring to is seldom a micro, although it certainly can be. No, I'd say the indications are pretty good that it is abandoned.

I am, however, assuming that the OP has already done a coordinate search for the area and has turned up nothing.

Edited by knowschad

What... with "pretty good indication"? If I had said, "proof", I might be jumping to a conclusion. In addition, the type of cache that you are referring to is seldom a micro, although it certainly can be. No, I'd say the indications are pretty good that it is abandoned.

I am, however, assuming that the OP has already done a coordinate search for the area and has turned up nothing.

Yes, it is a pretty good indication for this size cache most of the time. I'm feeling contradictory this morning, and found a spot I could nitpick. Meh. Sorry you're the one who caught it.

The OP may not have thought to do a check before heading out though, or may have forgotten, or whatever. Just trying to throw out an option to help :rolleyes:

i found one right by my house and its on a different Caching site, so id say leave it alone also.

If it hasn't been logged in a year, it would probably not be opencaching.com, but it could be one of the other sites. Unlikely, but possible.

Psst. There are no caches exclusive to Opencaching.com. Ok, just kidding. And True, it's only 6 months old, and opencaching.us is only 9 months old. Navicache? Been around, but well, that one I seriously doubt. <_<

Judging from where the OP's other 6 hides are, there are about 10 Terracaches in the general vicinity. You never know. Not that anyone's suggested throwing it out or anything. Which has indeed been suggested in many similar threads. :)

I looked and looked and finally found the perfect place for my cache and when I found it there was a micro there already. Lame! The log had not been signed for over a year, so I signed it. How do i find out if it is the final for a multi or unknown cache or if it has been archived?

My 1st step would be to record the coords for that location.

Then do a search for nearest caches to see what pops up if anything.

Next as others said try to match cacher names & dates to that area.

If those all fail ask an area reviewer if that spot is clear for a new cache.