Postage just went up again...

avroair

It went up on April 17th. In the US, it went up $.32 for any package I mail between 1-1.99 ounces. Canada went up $.49 for the same range, and anywhere international I've mailed so far went up $.31. Usually 1 coin is less than 2 oz. and greater than 1 oz.

The big hit is international rates after that. Each additonal oz. is an even bigger bump. Before the 17th it was an additional $.70, now its $.87 each extra oz.

Edited by The Moop Along

I had heard this was going to happen. So what would you set as a base price for shipping to Europe, etc.? And how much per additional coin(s)?

CF30

To Holland, Spain and Portugal it is still about $3.00-$3.75 for 1 or 2 coins. Where I saw the real leap was shipping to Czech Republic and Germany which was $4.25 for a big coin and up to $7.00 for two coins.

It went up on April 17th. In the US, it went up $.32 for any package I mail between 1-1.99 ounces. Canada went up $.49 for the same range, and anywhere international I've mailed so far went up $.31. Usually 1 coin is less than 2 oz. and greater than 1 oz.

The big hit is international rates after that. Each additonal oz. is an even bigger bump. Before the 17th it was an additional $.70, now its $.87 each extra oz.

Especially to Germany and Czech Republic. The other countries were minimal bumps.

Sorry to hear that about my country. I do not get the difference between Germany and Holland, though. In our country they also dramatically lowered the total sum that does not have to be declared. So now, when the the total is about 30 US dollars we have to pay the toll and also VAT. It seems the mail services are going to ruin our budgets. sad.gif

Having spent 2 of the last 3 weeks in the USA I decided to mail coins from there can I say that the USPS has the fastest service in North America. Mailed one in NY on Saturday it was received Monday, the other was a little slower but it took less time then in Canada.

Speaking of which Canada Post may be going on strike so if your sending mail this way or expecting mail it may take longer then usual <_<

Bummer!! I thought they had only put it up a few months ago. Are they allowed to indiscriminately increase postal rates? I know here they're not allowed to increase the rates too often.

No it's an act of congress and can only does happen every 6 months I believe. Most of the time it's a 1 or 2 cent raise, but this increase seems much bigger on the heavier end. Still it cheaper and faster than shipping from Germany.

Bummer!! I thought they had only put it up a few months ago. Are they allowed to indiscriminately increase postal rates? I know here they're not allowed to increase the rates too often.

No it's an act of congress and can only does happen every 6 months I believe. Most of the time it's a 1 or 2 cent raise, but this increase seems much bigger on the heavier end. Still it cheaper and faster than shipping from Germany.

Yeah, I'm finding it quite expensive to ship internationally from Aotearoa these days. Last Christmas they clamped down on the letter rate - use to be if it fitted the size and weight restrictions for letter rate they'd let it go through. Now the contents must be paper to get the letter rate. Overnight the postage went from $2.40 to a minimum of $6.80. South America and Europe are the most expensive destinations to date.

I'm sure people who get coins from me think I am ripping them off on the postage! But the truth is, by the time the exchange rate is taken into account (which is changing daily at the moment), what I charge for postage is usually less that what I end up forking over to the post office to send items! Then there's the bubble mailer (that costs me up to $1.25 each) and all the other associated costs.

Edited by keewee

I went to the Post Office today to send a couple of coins and nearly died of fright!

New Zealand Post has hiked up there prices to a shocking level!

International AirMail Parcel rate to the US use to start at $7.51, now it starts at $11.50!!!

It's even worse to Europe - now starts at $13.00.

At least these prices are for up to 200gm, but still - OUCH for just one geocoin!!!

At these prices I am going to have to flaunt postal rules and start sending geocoins in standard envelopes to get the International AirMail Letter Rate. To hell with NZ Post and their money grabbing!!!