Do cache owners have the right to delete logs if they don't like the log comment

Zor

I've actually pondered archiving all of my 1 to 2 star terrain hides, so I don't receive any more park & grab logs.

I've already begun that process. B)

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I would gladly read nice logs like these, versus one hundred thousand "TFTC" logs.

Edited by Kit Fox

The question I have is whether or not, as a cache owner, I have the right to delete logs from my caches if I am not happy with the "short log".

short answer is NO, you don't have that right

yes they are extremely annoying but a new breed is emerging, the "blank log" :lol:

THE NEW BREED...or the NEWBIE..better known as the iPhone [Android now] cacher...log on the fly. Face it.."the times they are a'changing" per some old dylan guy back when...

I just wanted to share in the sentiments of some of the other newbies. I didn't know. Many things I have learned never occurred to me until I delved into these forums. I've learned a lot.

I started with a smart phone as well. I downloaded a free app and it worked well enough. I find out later that I had downloaded an illegal app, according to this website. I didn't know. I have since purchased a GPS and love it so far.

I guess that what I want to say is that, not everyone knows or understands the rules. Nobody reads the manual until something goes wrong. (My husband and I had extra parts when we finished putting together our grill!) Some of us newbies just need a gentle mentor or a fleeting suggestion. Everyone was a newbie at one time. Someday, when I hide my own caches, I will understand why short logs are annoying. However, some of my first caches were quite unremarkable. (I already know that I do not care for the Walmart parking lot caches.) Even so, I will respectfully log from now on.

By the way, how may caches do I have to log before I am no longer considered a "newbie"? That would be a nice goal for me this summer. The term "newbie" just sounds so dirty. :anicute:

Happy Caching!

Missy

My take on it is if its found it should be logged. If you really don't like the log types then you are doing this for the wrong reason. Sure it would be nice to have some comments but lets face it this will not always happen so let it slide.

My take on it is if its found it should be logged. If you really don't like the log types then you are doing this for the wrong reason. Sure it would be nice to have some comments but lets face it this will not always happen so let it slide.

I've placed 164 caches. I look at it like Trackables. Once I place it, I have very little control over what happens next.

I have had blank logs, (starting yesterday), TFTC logs, Thanks Don from friends that knew they didn't need to add more. I have also had logs that greatly detail the finders adventures. Logs that link through the caching day in the classic Flask style. I have also had logs that were 300 words long that said absolutely nothing.

I have deleted two found it logs out of over 4900. One was in German and it was clear that the cacher was caching in Germany that day. The second was double iPhone log and I did it a month after I notified the user by email.

I think that it is unfortunate that the CEO of Groundspeak has determined that totally blank logs will be allowed. I think it detracts from building a community and puts the spotlight on racking up numbers.

I will admit, I have gone on day long cache runs and diverted to C$P, but I at least try to describe the days (mis)adventures, not simply "Found with cachers A-D, # 1 of 35", or "cleaning up the west side tonight".

Edited by Don_J

If you are placing 100 caches near your hometown, they can't be all spectacular. Whenever I find a cache that is clever or takes me to an interesting place, I can usually think of something to say in the log. Otherwise, what am I suppose to say other than TFTC? It seems like some people just plant as many caches as possible, with varying quality. While I fell compelled to stop at every cache along my route, if a cache isn't that memorable, I'm not going to have much to log about.

I just wanted to share in the sentiments of some of the other newbies. I didn't know. Many things I have learned never occurred to me until I delved into these forums. I've learned a lot.

I started with a smart phone as well. I downloaded a free app and it worked well enough. I find out later that I had downloaded an illegal app, according to this website. I didn't know. I have since purchased a GPS and love it so far.

I am curious if there is a difference in the way somebody starts this activity when they get started using a phone instead of a GPS. What I am suspecting is that many that get started on the smartphone simply see the app, download it, and start playing. Do they see it (at first) as just yet another smartphone game?

Those that get started by using a handheld GPS must visit the website and learn a bit about what they need to do before they can even begin playing. Smartphone users do not.

What I am suspecting is that many that get started on the smartphone simply see the app, download it, and start playing.

At least on my phone (a Palm), no. The app cannot create a new account, so it is necessary to visit the web site at least once.

I have also had logs that were 300 words long that said absolutely nothing.

:ph34r:

Not sure what Toz is trying to say here, but I've come across long logs that tell me nothing about the cache or the experience of looking for the cache. Doesn't bother me, as long as I don't have to say it is good just because it is long.

I am curious if there is a difference in the way somebody starts this activity when they get started using a phone instead of a GPS. What I am suspecting is that many that get started on the smartphone simply see the app, download it, and start playing. Do they see it (at first) as just yet another smartphone game?

Those that get started by using a handheld GPS must visit the website and learn a bit about what they need to do before they can even begin playing. Smartphone users do not.

? I think you were trying to say something?

When I heard about geocaching this spring, I found Geochaching.com. There was a spot to tell the site what unit I would be geocaching with. My phone, a Palm Pre, was listed there. I chose it. It must be OK. The next thing I did was check my phone for apps. I found the free app and I it was a good program. It had things like "find the nearest cache" So when you say did I see it as a smartphone game. No. But, I did see it as a way to test if my family would enjoy this activity enough to invest in a premium membership or a GPS. I have since bought a Delorme GPS and will purchase premium membership when my free 30 days is up.

Only because I am a freak in everything I do, I delved into these forums. I have gained much knowledge and continue to persist even though the tone towards "newbies" is less than welcoming. Is growth for geocaching such a bad thing? Were you not a "newbie" at some point?

I believe there are only 3 legit reasons to delete a log.

1. If you have proof they didn't find and sign the log.

2. Gave too much information in the log post of the location or how it is hidden.

3. Offensive, abusive or profanity.

oops we had another reason during the 10.10.10 events when a cacher was posting logs spamming their coin.

Am I wrong?

Edited by jellis

I believe there are only 3 legit reasons to delete a log.

1. If you have proof they didn't find and sign the log.

2. Gave too much information in the log post of the location or how it is hidden.

3. Offensive, abusive or profanity.

oops we had another reason during the 10.10.10 events when a cacher was posting logs spamming their coin.

Am I wrong?

Jellis,

I have almost 5000 found it logs on my caches. I have deleted two. One was a double and one was a cacher in Germany who entered the wrong GC#.

For some reason, no one has posted spoilers, and their language has been clean. SoCal cachers seem to respect each other.

I am not sure how this thread got so large, so I stopped reading it.

Basically, the responsibility for stopping TFTC logs is on all of us. When a new cacher pops up in my area and all they put is TFTC, I send them a welcome e-mail. I encourage them to keep caching and let them know that as a cache owner I really appreciate reading more about your adventures.

I would think if you started deleting people's logs because you didn't like what they had to say, you might find a newbie, or a veteran, decide to start removing your caches.

I am fairly non-confrontational about Geocaching because there are so many ways for a bad apple to really ruin your day.

We are still new to caching, we started using the IPhone and a Lowrance Endura. I have trouble with the Endura but have found two really good ones using it, guess I lucked out on those, back to the topic... I've signed logs with TFTC TNLN SL, because I thought it was acceptable. I looked at logs other people left and it appeared that's what people were doing. I have left some longer logs about the find but then wondered if I was getting too wordy. Any comments/emails from an experienced cacher would be appreciated by me as long as it was presented in a friendly matter. If I'm doing something wrong let me know and I'll try my best to do what is expected. I appreciate the time and commitment of anyone that hides a cache. When I've signed with TFTC I meant it.