Just discovered Geocaching

mollymunch

Hi. At the ripe old age of 55 i have just discovered Geocaching! I was at a Campaign for Real Ale meeting chatting about walking rather than beer and someone told me all about this. I went straight home, got onto the internet and signed up! I have yet to actually go out and find a cache (working for a living tends to get in the way) but I am really looking forward to getting started and wish I had found out about this years ago. I love walking and it will be great to have a goal/goals during my future walks. I live in Northamptonshire, England, and I hope to meet some other Geocachers while on my travels!

Hi Mollymunch

I just tipped the 51 mark on the 4th of May so your just ahead of me. I also only discovered Geocache on the 13th after buying my first Garmin.

(Also CAMRA member and love walking) Real ale and good walks go hand in hand.

I have found 2 caches now and is a great buzz, and within a couple of miles from home. Loads to go for and without getting in the car.

The only thing is, when you are in the close vicinity of the cache you stand the risk of looking like some kind of weirdo wandering around in circled grubbing around in the undergrowth....

51 year old bloke wandering around in the woods staring at some kind of mobile phone gadget in his hand. ( Doesn’t sound good when you write it down).

Enjoy the walking.

Enjoy the real Ale.

And good luck with the hunting.

Best Regards

Lindian_10

Northwich Cheshire

Hi Mollymunch

I just tipped the 51 mark on the 4th of May so your just ahead of me. I also only discovered Geocache on the 13th after buying my first Garmin.

(Also CAMRA member and love walking) Real ale and good walks go hand in hand.

I have found 2 caches now and is a great buzz, and within a couple of miles from home. Loads to go for and without getting in the car.

The only thing is, when you are in the close vicinity of the cache you stand the risk of looking like some kind of weirdo wandering around in circled grubbing around in the undergrowth....

51 year old bloke wandering around in the woods staring at some kind of mobile phone gadget in his hand. ( Doesn’t sound good when you write it down).

Enjoy the walking.

Enjoy the real Ale.

And good luck with the hunting.

Best Regards

Lindian_10

Northwich Cheshire

Hi Lindian

Great to know that someone else has lived for half a century before discovering Geocache. I intend to go find my first cache this weekend. I did wonder about the looking weird thing, especially when on your own. Still, I am not afraid of looking daft, but I think I will start with something out in the countryside...Glad to meet a fellow CAMRA member too!

Cheers

Mollymunch

WELCOME, Molly. I think you'll love it like I do.

I've already lost 4 pounds too. Instead of sitting in front of the boob-tube, been out in nature.

My early thoughts were recorded at: Musings of a Newbie

Let us know what you think once you've had a) a bushwhack in the face,

B) bug and beast encounters, c) your first 'Unable to Find'.

I predict you'll still love it. The people are really friendly and generous too. And getting into Trackables is a whole new dimension too.

:rolleyes:

Welcome to the obsession, Molly. I discovered Geocaching on another forum, so that same day I signed up, did a search in my hometown thinking there surely weren't any around here (because it's a VERY small town) and was surprised to see 2 caches in town & others not far off. I picked up my son from school and away we went. That was last fall and we've been hooked ever since. Last year, before winter hit, we were going every weekend, Sat. & Sun. and many times Fri. after school too. We packed snacks & lunches and made a day of it. Best of all, we've discovered places and seen sites that we never knew existed. And none of them very far from home either. One of the more special places was about a 2 hour drive from home, a town we had never been to & never really heard of but simply picked out on the map. Come to find out, my great great grandparents lived there, my great great Grandpa helped build the bridge into town that still stands today, and my Grandpa grew up there. I also have family buried in the cemetery we Geocached in. Family history that I never knew until then. I plan to take a trip back soon to find my family's grave sites. All thanks to Geocaching. So good luck & enjoy!

WELCOME, Molly. I think you'll love it like I do.

I've already lost 4 pounds too. Instead of sitting in front of the boob-tube, been out in nature.

My early thoughts were recorded at: Musings of a Newbie

Let us know what you think once you've had a) a bushwhack in the face,

B) bug and beast encounters, c) your first 'Unable to Find'.

I predict you'll still love it. The people are really friendly and generous too. And getting into Trackables is a whole new dimension too.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I have a lot to look forward to! And if I can lose weight at the same time then that would be a bonus :lol:

I started caching as something I knew I liked from having done it before with my mom before I started on my own. I didn't think I'd be losing any weight or getting fit but I have. Its also taken me places that I didn't know where there and some of these places were breathtaking and so much worth the hike. When I first started I would get tired easy I was that out of shape. Now I have even done 6 to 7 miles in one day caching. I even have had a 5 time DNF and I still haven't gotten back to try again. I thought about looking werid a lot in the beginning but not I just do what I need to do not caring if it looks werid since I found most people are more interested in themselves and what they are doing then you. I only had one encounter with a muggle that came up to me and asked what are you doing when I was looking for a cache in a bush in a park. have fun and good luck finding your first cache.

I am also new to Geocaching. I head about it in the staffroom at work and was curious so I looked up this site and was amazed to find so many caches in my small town. I went to find my first today with no luck :( I do plan on trying again. Anyone have any tips on finding the cache in a parking lot of a busy store?

Hi. At the ripe old age of 55 i have just discovered Geocaching! I was at a Campaign for Real Ale meeting chatting about walking rather than beer and someone told me all about this. I went straight home, got onto the internet and signed up! I have yet to actually go out and find a cache (working for a living tends to get in the way) but I am really looking forward to getting started and wish I had found out about this years ago. I love walking and it will be great to have a goal/goals during my future walks. I live in Northamptonshire, England, and I hope to meet some other Geocachers while on my travels!

Hello, mollymunch!

Welcome to the forum, and hope you have a great time on your geocaching adventures. Let us know how you get on!

We've found it to be a great way to discover and try out new walks, and find ourselves going back over and over to some favourite places we discovered through caching 'just' for the walk and views.

I grew up in Northants and still have half my family there. (Hope to get over and do a bit of caching late May & late July.)

Caching events are a good way to meet up with other cachers - I've seen some good ones listed in your area.

Mrs F

Edited by Fianccetto

I am also new to Geocaching. I head about it in the staffroom at work and was curious so I looked up this site and was amazed to find so many caches in my small town. I went to find my first today with no luck :( I do plan on trying again. Anyone have any tips on finding the cache in a parking lot of a busy store?

If you're in the US, those caches are sometimes called "LPC" - Lamp-post Caches, or "Skirt Lifters" as the base can be lifted, does that help?

Can't help with how to find/retrieve them in a busy area, that's down to you!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I'm 62 and have just under 200 finds since September of last year. I truly regret not knowing about this wonderful pastime 10 years ago. Make the most of every day that your out and about. Can't find one? Move on to the next. Remember, this is all about having fun! BTW, as much as I would like to, I've yet to meet a fellow geocacher on the trail. That'll change as I attend my first event cache this June. Good luck!

The way I found out about caching is my brother in law stumbled upon a cache while walking his dog and posted a You Tube video about it. I signed up right away and even attempted to find one without a GPS last weekend (which wasnt too successful) waiting for my GPS to come in the mail. I can't wait to get started.

Hi mollymunch and welcome! My family came from Northampton...but I was born in the south. We started caching back in 2007 - I was 54. Have fun with the hobby/sport/addiction - and the events that could take place in a pub where you can discuss caching over a Real Ale or two. :D

I am now living in Canada on Vancouver Island.

Pat

If you're in the US, those caches are sometimes called "LPC" - Lamp-post Caches, or "Skirt Lifters" as the base can be lifted, does that help?

Probably, but it also kinda spoils the surprise. I was going to suggest that as a general hint, when you arrive in the general area where your GPS is taking you (even when your GPS is telling you that the cache is up to 100 feet away) stop looking at the GPS and start looking for and examine any sort of fixed object which might hide a container. Keep in mind that most geocaches are hidden from view and the container could be a small as your thumbnail. If you think to yourself, "where could I hide a container in this area" there may be a few obvious spots to check. Some spots may not be so obvious but with experience you'll discover certain types of hiding techniques that are often used, giving you sort of a checklist to work off whenever you arrive in an area where a cache is located.

Welcome to the obsession (or sport)! My hubby said he knows his dad would have had a ball with Geocaching, had he been alive when this all started! He was always looking for spots off the beaten path. As for hiding... oh boy! With his imagination and love of building/creating things, he probably would have been the "evilest cache" hider in the area! Many of the people we have met caching lately are retired and are having the time of their lives doing this!

Oh, forgot to mention in the previous post that I talked a man in his early 60's into Geocaching! To me, it was a perfect match! He was going to be retiring in 2 months, had a new GPS, and a nice big motorcycle. He said on the weekends he sometimes would just get on his bike and ride up to 150 miles just to have lunch in a "tourist bar" in the next state. He said I was the second person to mention this to him in the past week! The equation added up: new GPS + motorcycle + love of travel + lots of time= Perfect Geocacher!

Well it will soon be Hook Norton Beer Festival not too far from Northampton, Pity that 15 of them did not come out for the second half in Cardiff. I'm also a new member here and an Ex CAMRA Member. Started Letter Boxing on Dartmoor back in 1994 and was told about this site by a friend. I'm about to go on holiday but when I get back all walks will have a purpose. Will need to get a GPS as the Mobile Phone is flat inside a couple of hours.

Well it will soon be Hook Norton Beer Festival not too far from Northampton, Pity that 15 of them did not come out for the second half in Cardiff. I'm also a new member here and an Ex CAMRA Member. Started Letter Boxing on Dartmoor back in 1994 and was told about this site by a friend. I'm about to go on holiday but when I get back all walks will have a purpose. Will need to get a GPS as the Mobile Phone is flat inside a couple of hours.

Hook Norton Beer -Good stuff!

See your first 7 caches are on my patch... Welcome!

UK cachers can be found over in the UK and Ireland section of these forums here link, come and join us!

At last I managed to get out to search for my first cache at the weekend. I found my way to the location ok - but find the cache - no!! I searched, and searched and wondered what I was missing. Apparently the cache was supposed to be an easy one to find! I decided to go and try the next closest...........and then my phone died :(

Anyway, I am not going to give up, I will try again and when I start to get the hang of what I am doing - I will buy a GPS!

Hook Norton Beer -Good stuff!

See your first 7 caches are on my patch... Welcome!

UK cachers can be found over in the UK and Ireland section of these forums here link, come and join us!

Hook Norton, my second favourite brewery, my fave being Wychwood. I was at Hook Norton brewery on a tour only two weeks ago :lol: