Best place for cache supplies?

Team Van Dyk

So far, the Groundspeak site has had pretty much everything I'm looking for, but its selection is also quite limited. For instance, I know I'm soon (in the next week or so) going to want a pretty big cache container (50mm ammo can, I think) and a small handful of travel bugs and geocoins (beyond those carried on the Groundspeak site). Thoughts on what the other "major" reputable vendors are?

Thanks!

--Matt

P.S. Is there any particular brand/model of ziploc or ziploc-esque bags that work best in true 4-season states (i.e. Michigan)?

So far, the Groundspeak site has had pretty much everything I'm looking for, but its selection is also quite limited. For instance, I know I'm soon (in the next week or so) going to want a pretty big cache container (50mm ammo can, I think) and a small handful of travel bugs and geocoins (beyond those carried on the Groundspeak site). Thoughts on what the other "major" reputable vendors are?

Thanks!

--Matt

P.S. Is there any particular brand/model of ziploc or ziploc-esque bags that work best in true 4-season states (i.e. Michigan)?

REI has an assortment of TB's and Geocoins, and depending on where you live, they might sell ammo cans. They have lots of great containers for caches too.

also check out your armynavy surplus stores. they often carry steel ammo cans, as well as plastic ammo cans.

there are a number of geocaching web stores, but i know people that typically go to the big online store that makes a certain popular ebook reader because they have a lot of supplies as well.

you might check out the aloksac bags, but they can be pricey. might be easier to get write in the rain note pad to throw in your container.

Edited by jermlac

I buy basic cache supplies like containers, trade items, notebook, pencils at bulk stores like Sams Club and order Lock-n-Locks from Amazon. For Ammoboxes - I get them at local surplus military stores.

I don't muck around with Geocaoins very much and I buy Travel Bug tags from the Groundspeak store.

You can find ammo cans online or at gun shows or ArmyNavy stores. They are awefully expensive these days unless you get them in bulk. Lock N Locks are a distant second as far as quality containers. You can pick up a multi piece sets of assorted sized Lock n Locks online at JC Penny, Amazon and other retailers.

As far as other supplies, I get my golf pencils by the box at Staples. Same for logbooks. I buy a 5 pack of spiral bound 3" x 5" steno pads (do not get glue bound pads, they fall apart quickly) at Staples.

My Ziplocs are off the supermarket shelf. If you have a quality container you really don't need them other than toseparate the logbook from the rest of the contents.

I've rarely bought my supplies from a geocaching specific supplier. I get everything in the supermarket, Home Depot, Walmart and other similar establishments. A lot cheaper.

You can find geocoins on Ebay or head over to the geocoin forum here where there are often coins for sale or trade. There are also some geocoin vendors. Google will help you find them.

One of the swag items I came across when I first started was a large (about 1" diameter) copper ball. They wee somewhat of a collectors item. The team that put them out found a large box of them at a garage sale. When looking for supplies for creating a cache, hitting the garage sales might give you some unique container ideas.

The cost of shipping ammo cans generally makes them unsuitable for buying online so you should search out your nearest military surplus store (assuming that you're in the U.S) for those.

It's not so much the shipping cost, its the base cost of them. I used to get six .30 cal ammo boxes from Cheaperthandirt for $19 plus $10 shipping. $29 for 6 ammo boxes, delivered to my front door. Before that I was getting .50 cal ammo boxes for $4.50 each + $2 shipping or $6.50 each delivered.

Now, when you do see the ammo boxes they are going for $8 - $15 each plus shipping.

What some people do is buy full pallets at auctions. I know some local geocaching organizations, and in a few cases individuals, have done this. They come out to about $1.50 - $2.50 each in bulk. They are then sold to local geocachers at cost or for a modest profit. You just need the cash up front, a pickup truck to haul them and some backyard space to store them. There is usually an eager bunch of cachers who will scoop them up fast.

Edited by briansnat