Musings of a Newbie: Possibly helpful

FolsomNatural

Musing of a Newbie: This might help.

Learn from my errors.

I’ve been into the sport of geo-caching for less than a month now, and I’ve learned a few things that might help YOU avoid the mistakes I made starting out.

1. I thought I’d like geo-caching - - I never thought I’d LOVE it and become obsessed. It has successfully pried me off the couch and into the outdoors. If anything, I have to watch the “Difficulty” ratings, because as a Senior Citizen, I tend to forget my physical limits, and find myself getting into trouble. After facing bugs, snakes, and branch-in-the-eye hazards, I’m thinking of petitioning for the institution of an “OLS” (Old Lady Safe) rating for all posted caches. In the first week I found myself scaling a stone wall, trekking up a 45-degree trail, and hiking almost a mile with one soggy boot after falling into a creek. But I loved every minute of it. (See the log for “White House” in Granite Bay, California, code GC2G5KZ, if you are interested.)

2. There are many varied aspects and sub-categories for geo-caching, but this website (geocaching.com) is an EXCELLENT resource with very helpful pages and references. It pays to read the log entries from previous visitors. It is important to watch the difficulty ratings and the cache sizes when choosing a target. I began with traditional caches of relatively large size. The “ammo box” cache is a great way to start. You best start is the Guide page; http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx.

3. GPS equipment can be tricky. And confusing. You can use the GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) device in your car, and some smart phones have a GPS function, but most hobbyists opt for a hand-held unit made specifically for geo-caching. The tricky and confusing part is getting the unit to function properly. Manufacturers often provide only the most basic maps, and then expect you to spend over $100 to get the latest, detailed Topo maps. Next, you have to have special software to pick out and load those portions of the total database that include your local search areas. You also need to download and install software that will load cache location data from a website to your GPS device.

(See http://www.geocaching.com/software/default.aspx.)

4. At first, I was disappointed at the (lack of) quality of the contents of some caches. I quickly learned, however, that the prizes are not what the hobby is all about. It’s the adventure. Besides, I find it a real pleasure to upgrade a lagging cache by adding my own valuable items and taking away some of the junk. Like giving at Christmas, you can imagine the eyes of a child lighting up when they discover some really cool gifts you left behind. To that end I’ve taken to shopping in thrift stores, bargain bins, and stores that sell one-dollar items. You can also find great values by buying in bulk on the internet. A navigation compass, for example, might cost $10 retail, but you can buy two dozen of them for less than a dollar each at an auction site.

5. Prepare for any contingency by bringing along what I call a “cache-pack.” This is a carry-bag or knapsack that includes:

• prizes of different sizes, as you don’t know what will fit in any given cache

• pens, pencils, and note pad

• water bottle

• camera

• GPS unit

• extra batteries

• compass

• hand wipe

• cell phone

6. Add to your pleasure by learning about some of the variations of geo-caching, such as multiple caches, trackable items, and Earthcaches. Again, see the Guide page; http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx.

7. If you park your car at a trail head, be sure to log your starting location onto your GPS unit (as a waypoint) so you can find your way back!

I hope that helps! Vince “FolsomNatural”

Very nice post!!

May I also add - do not expect any GPS to put you right on top of the cache every time. You search with your eyes and sometimes hands after getting close not right to it.

And if you do search sometimes with your hands, take along something long enough to probe inside cavities in logs, under rocks, etc. I find plastic chop sticks work great, especially as I can't begin to use them for their intended purpose :laughing:

I had to laugh reading the orginal post since I made some of those mistakes when I first started out over a year and half ago. I'm still making mistakes but having a blast while doing so. I have become a obessed crazed cacher and right I'm going stir crazy since I can't get out caching with a cast on my driving foot. Darn it. One of the biggest mistakes I made in the beginning was always looking at the gps to make sure I was going the right way even when I had a good distance to go. I now have walked past a spot that is GZ because I'm taking in my surroundigs instead of the gps. lol I also have now made a pack up of things that I wish I had when I first started. Batteries are always now in my pocket since they run out in the middle of doing a hike to a cache. I also now carry a small flashlight plus tweezers. Wish I had known I need them in the begining. Hate to say I cursed out a nano log the first time I opened one and couldn't get the thing out of the container. I did get it out but I ripped it trying. Not something I wanted to do. I have also done creeking crossings and ended up with a wet foot. I one creek I dunked the same foot both times crossing.

Most excellent post, FolsomNatural. As you learned, preparation is important to a fun and successful hunt. I enjoy researching caches I want to hunt, study maps, and imagine what the area is like that I am going to. BTW: my kids (now grown)thought I was crazy because I would get excited about reading a map! The prep, the anticipation, the adventure, and that brief moment of jubilation when you first spot the cache makes it fun for me. As a near-senior citizen, I appreciate your thoughts on knowing your limits. Still, I consider my caching day successful when I return home dirty, wet, scratched and bleeding, and tired. Then its time for an adult beverage and reflect on the day and enter my logs. Continue to enjoy the sport (obsession).

Yes, yes and yes! My husband and I are approaching 100 caches and we love it. And although I don't know how old you are, I consider myself of the senior nature (atleast my body reminds me daily).

Don't forget to put tweezers, pens. Bug spray, flashlight, spare bags. spare logs - inside that cache sack!!

I think the more we do this, the more stuff goes in our cache box (we have a small toolbox we carry around). And a cooler for drinks. Sometimes, spare clothes and shoes if were out all day. There was a guy who was seeking one of our own caches, and the poor guy fell in the swampi stuff. I felt bad. ... Haven't needed the spare clothes yet (crossing fingers)

I have also done creeking crossings and ended up with a wet foot. I one creek I dunked the same foot both times crossing.

Gee, maybe we should start a "Soggy Foot Club" for anyone who's trekked for a cache

with a wet foot (or two).

:laughing:

Edited by FolsomNatural

I have also done creeking crossings and ended up with a wet foot. I one creek I dunked the same foot both times crossing.

Gee, maybe we should start a "Soggy Foot Club" for anyone who's trekked for a cache

with a wet foot (or two).

:laughing:

Would there be an age restriction? :lol:

On our first caching trip my 7yr old daughter planted her foot squarely into a small creek.Didn't bat an eye.She wanted to find the cache and nothing,not even a soggy sneaker,was getting in her way.

And if you do search sometimes with your hands, take along something long enough to probe inside cavities in logs, under rocks, etc. I find plastic chop sticks work great, especially as I can't begin to use them for their intended purpose :laughing:

When we reach a cache site, the first thing my wife looks for is a 'pokey stick'.

Wonderful post - thank you. The only thing I would add is that as a very new cacher I have already learned one vital thing from my wife, who teaches kindergarden. My brain is more important than my GPS when I arrive at a site. While I am focussing on narrowing down the precise spot with the GPS, she is looking round and thinking 'Where would be a fun place to hide something? What stands out here?'

Guess who finds the cache first.

Very nice post!!

May I also add - do not expect any GPS to put you right on top of the cache every time. You search with your eyes and sometimes hands after getting close not right to it.

I use a hiking pole..dual purpose...

BTW..i always wear gloves...

Edited by alohabra

Wonderful post - thank you. The only thing I would add is that as a very new cacher I have already learned one vital thing from my wife, who teaches kindergarden. My brain is more important than my GPS when I arrive at a site. While I am focussing on narrowing down the precise spot with the GPS, she is looking round and thinking 'Where would be a fun place to hide something? What stands out here?'

DITTO...geosense, it is called...

I can so relate to that! After a few, we switch. :laughing:

When we reach a cache site, the first thing my wife looks for is a 'pokey stick'.

I used to be the same, then we bought a pair of hiking sticks, adjustable length type, so we can poke to our hearts' content. They are also handy to steady us!

edit to add - camera - great to take pictures of Momma Bear and her cub from the safety of the cachemobile. We had a close-ish encounter of the bear kind yesterday...it was wonderful.

Edited by popokiiti

As a Senior of 67 yrs. I certainly can relate to FolsomNatual.

Besides having to deal with the natural body limitations due to aging, I have polymyocitis.

This makes climbing rocks and hiking through brush especially taxing on my muscles. But hey, this gets me out into fresh air and exercise which my muscles need.

I never had enough motivation to go for walks before this. [by the way, a walking stick is essential to help you get up those hills.]

Except for one day when it rained, I've been out daily since I started. I just love this new interest/sport that is geocaching.

We have a lot of forest and brush around here, so we've had to implement a regular routine of checking each other for wood ticks trying to hitch a ride on our way back home.

It's definitely a learning experience.

A stick is a very good idea....while caching with a friend we got to GZ looked around for a little bit. I saw a hollow tree that had fallen and said check there. He went to the tree and a snake slithered away, my friend is afraid of snakes but he work himself up enough to grab a stick (albeit a small one) stuck it inside the tree and something pulled it out of his hand. While running past me on his way back to the car, he said "Did Not Find"