Idea for a new kind of Cache-Game

A friend fo mine asked me, if I couldn't develop a game in a game in Geocaching, I am a massive-realworld-game-developer myself, so I thought

this could not be that hard.

After hours of mumbling under my beard, which i don't have, I came up with an idea. A cache-ralley. The rules are simple:

It can be done either as a normal multi-cache, or as a competition with two- or more oposing geocachers.

I made a round one for two teams, with the same start-coordinates for each Team. It is up to you, how you would like to

desing yours and for how many teams you would desing it. All that counts is that all teams do have to consume the exact same

distance. Well, although you might want to give someone a handycap, but that is up to you.

So, if you, as I did, design your Cache-Rally as a circle for two teams, the teams do each waypoints only in another order, e.g upside down.

Since both teams had the same startingpoint, the should all have the same endpoint, which is the startingpoint.So hide the final coordinates somewhere close,

be creative. May the force be with you, always.

What do you think of this, is that a good idea?

Cool -- but this is not a competition, nor do I believe that it was ever intended to be such.

Your idea has merit, but I do not believe so much so within geocaching itself. Maybe with individual competitors/teams, pre-registered to whomever runs the competition, keeping stats and records therein. Trust me, you WILL want enforceable rules!

A friend fo mine asked me, if I couldn't develop a game in a game in Geocaching, I am a massive-realworld-game-developer myself, so I thought

this could not be that hard.

After hours of mumbling under my beard, which i don't have, I came up with an idea. A cache-ralley. The rules are simple:

It can be done either as a normal multi-cache, or as a competition with two- or more oposing geocachers.

I made a round one for two teams, with the same start-coordinates for each Team. It is up to you, how you would like to

desing yours and for how many teams you would desing it. All that counts is that all teams do have to consume the exact same

distance. Well, although you might want to give someone a handycap, but that is up to you.

So, if you, as I did, design your Cache-Rally as a circle for two teams, the teams do each waypoints only in another order, e.g upside down.

Since both teams had the same startingpoint, the should all have the same endpoint, which is the startingpoint.So hide the final coordinates somewhere close,

be creative. May the force be with you, always.

What do you think of this, is that a good idea?

Capture the flag geocaching style?

Some of the side games for Geocaching have led to a lot of angst due to a lack of clear, concise rules and lack of a referee. Start with a strong set of rules.

I am sure you could have fun with your idea but it just won't be for a lot of cachers as most don't see any competition within Gecaching.

There was a few of these in sourthern California a couple of years ago called "RITV: Rally In The Valley- Puzzle Event". It was single cachers or teams that would race head to head in an "Amazing Race" style day. There are still many of the caches around this area.

Here is a link to the first one of them: RITV

And to the second one 2 years later: RITV 2

Edited by angelsfan33

I didn't mean to "enforce" any rules, and at least in Germany, it is about competition, pretty much.

What I basically ment was actually just for fun and for those, that need the competition in the mids of

the competition.

One type of a geocaching game is "Cacheball", it's like soccer with a cache instead of a ball. You are permitted to log once and advance the cache to the goal destination. I found one some time ago and it was quite amusing to read the different logs in a commentator style GC2114G (scroll down for english description).

One type of a geocaching game is "Cacheball", it's like soccer with a cache instead of a ball. You are permitted to log once and advance the cache to the goal destination. I found one some time ago and it was quite amusing to read the different logs in a commentator style GC2114G (scroll down for english description).

Wouldn't that be a moving cache? They are not allowed any longer, (except for grandfathered caches).

I don't see anything wrong with some friendly geocaching competition. It does not need to turn out like a hockey game.

The one that I have participated in is Scavenging for the Holidays and I had an absolute blast. We were given a list of four new caches, which held poker run cards, a list six other caches that gave extra points, and a list of things to find and take a photo of with a team member in the photo. From the git go, it was obvious that not everything could be accomplished in the time period allowed, and different tasks had different point values. After driving around for four hours, we hit the Bar & Grill for the event, where the scores were tallied and everyone had a good laugh at all of the photos.