caches on or in moving objects

I thought I remembered something about this topic but couldn't find it.

Can a geocache be placed on or in an object that moves around but is always at a certain location at a certain time on certain days, if that information is provided in the cache description or can be discerned from clues?

You can't have a cache on a moving object* because you have to be able to provide the final location coordinates to the cache reviewer.

I have an idea that in ye olden dayes of geocaching there was a moving cache on a train somewhere in USA. Of course, I may have dreamed that... or maybe one of the old hands can recall which one I'm think of. :unsure:

There was also once a cache where the co-ords took you to a field with a group of llamas in it and you had to attract the attention of the correct llama and call her to the fence so you could read the final co-ords from the tag attached to her halter. That was a neat idea but the final cache was stationary. :D

There are few "grandfathered in" moving caches but I don't think any of them are actually located on a moving object.

MrsB :)

* There's always an exception that proves the rule: GC1BE91

It really is little different from any cache that is only available during certain hours.

That was my thought as well. If it's located on an object that will always be in a certain location at a certain time it "might" be allowed. Of course it would still depend on what the cache is attached to.

It really is little different from any cache that is only available during certain hours.

That was my thought as well. If it's located on an object that will always be in a certain location at a certain time it "might" be allowed. Of course it would still depend on what the cache is attached to.

Exactly. The next question is going to be whether it violates any other guideline. I'm thinking that placing a cache on something that moves might sometimes violate the commercial guideline, for instance.

You can't have a cache on a moving object* because you have to be able to provide the final location coordinates to the cache reviewer.

I have an idea that in ye olden dayes of geocaching there was a moving cache on a train somewhere in USA. Of course, I may have dreamed that... or maybe one of the old hands can recall which one I'm think of. :unsure:

There was also once a cache where the co-ords took you to a field with a group of llamas in it and you had to attract the attention of the correct llama and call her to the fence so you could read the final co-ords from the tag attached to her halter. That was a neat idea but the final cache was stationary. :D

There are few "grandfathered in" moving caches but I don't think any of them are actually located on a moving object.

MrsB :)

* There's always an exception that proves the rule: GC1BE91

Perhaps you were thinking of GCJH11. It is on a type of train, a trolley to be more specific.

Here's one that is on a moving object. GCHHB2

Thanks for the link. That looks like fun - something different. I doubt it would get published nowadays.

Perhaps you were thinking of GCJH11. It is on a type of train, a trolley to be more specific.

That might have been the one I've heard of - Thanks. Again, something a bit different - another old cache that's still popular.

MrsB

Here's one that is on a moving object. GCHHB2

I think I recall seeing another one like that. There was a thread here awhile back asking about placing a cache on a cruise ship and one of the suggestions was to make it a multi with a starting stage in one part and containers to be found while on board the ferry and the final in a destination port.

I was thinking that if one was electronically inclined enough you could build a cache in an area with good cell signal or a blanket free WiFi where the cache had a built in gps and either cell phone or WiFi card that it would use to report its location as it moved around. I also saw a reverse geo cache so to speak It was a cache that had to be taken to a specific location before the electronic mechanism inside would allow the cache to be opened forget where I saw it but it was a prototype not in use yet.