The official website desperately needs an overhaul

Viscus

Greetings Matt and welcome. I posted on page one about something you should think about as you have an auto-publish cross posting on FB. If you are out on a cache run, you destroy the news feed for all of the people on your friends list. Why do you think they care about every single cache you find?

This is what I posted.

I would address the social networking bit. I have some friends that have spooled every single find they make to Facebook. I put them on ignore there. If they did a 50 to 75 cache run day, all I saw was the auto-generated "Found GCWHTEVR". I don't care about every cache you find nor do I want it clogging up my news feed. I do like those that take the time to say they are heading out to a cool area for the day, then post pictures later on with personal notes about the day. That is easier to follow, much more interesting overall, and I didn't have to look at an impersonal "Found GCWHTEVR" over and over and over. Those typically get zero likes and zero comments. That says something about that type of feed. To me, auto-generation ends up being noise. With 500+ friends, I like more personal feed information than auto-generated noise.

Twitter spooling exists right now. http://www.geocaching.com/my/sharing.aspx

Greetings Matt and welcome. I posted on page one about something you should think about as you have an auto-publish cross posting on FB. If you are out on a cache run, you destroy the news feed for all of the people on your friends list. Why do you think they care about every single cache you find?

This is what my suggestion is:

either (a) tweeting or posting their log entries to Facebook automatically, or ( b ) better yet, selectively tweeting or posting their log entries to Facebook on a case-by-case basis (preferably via a toggle option on the log page in the app)

If someone wants (a), in my book, that's there prerogative; I'd almost certainly use ( b ). But, again, what does GC (or any of the GC users) care if I choose to flood my Twitter or FB streams?

Edited by mattvandyk

You asked...

Alright, I've read this entire thread and while it's clear that there is a contingent (maybe even a majority) of long-time geocachers that would prefer to NOT have any Facebook or Twitter integration, the question remains, "why not?".

I gave you a reason "why not". If you are OK with being put on ignore by your friends, the FB and Tweet away.

It occurs to me that it might be helpful to demonstrate what I mean by selectively posting to twitter/facebook on a case-by-case basis (i.e. "Option ( b )") as opposed to auto-tweeting or auto-posting (which would, as you point out, flood friends/followers).

This is a quick and dirty mockup, but under Option ( b ), the log page in the app would look like this:

5677625957_182e764b1e_d.jpg

If you tapped the "f", it would light up and then share to facebook when the log was posted. If you tapped the "t" it would light up and then share to twitter when the log was posted. If you wanted to share to both, you would tap both the "f" and the "t" such that it looked like this:

5677626015_3b4f490303_d.jpg

Then when you clicked Save & Close, it would upload the log to the GC site in the usual course and post to the selected social media outlet (in the example, both FB and Twitter).

You could, of course, choose not to select either one (and, in fact, the default should be set to neither) in which case it would just upload the log to the GC site like normal and not post to either one.

Hope that's a little more clear.

--Matt

P.S. Sorry for the crude mockup. I would, obviously, expect it would be a little more refined than that, but only so much editing I could do on my phone.

Edited by mattvandyk

One observation: the cacher who started this thread is not a premium member. That means he (or she) is getting something for nothing. While we all benefit from suggestions for improving the site, perhaps this poster should consider that he is contributing nothing to the costs of developing and maintaining the site.

Alright, I've read this entire thread and while it's clear that there is a contingent (maybe even a majority) of long-time geocachers that would prefer to NOT have any Facebook or Twitter integration, the question remains, "why not?".

the resources that would be allocated to implement that feature can be used to fix/implement other more important features

At this point the whole conversation is pointless. We need to wait and see what the lily pad has in store for Wednesday. After that we can debate the need to add or delete whatever features we want or hate as needed. For whatever good it does.

Speaking of the Lily Pad, hear they are ready for the release:

fallout-shelter.jpg

Where is the harm in providing users the OPTION of connecting their Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to their GC account for purposes of either (a) tweeting or posting their log entries to Facebook automatically, or

I'll tell you the problem: Many of my actual friends are geocachers. Not just Facebook "friends," but actual friends. I like having Facebook alert me to things like their kids birthdays, their return home after vacations, and their job promotions. But if I start getting an email alert every time one of them finds a geocache, I'll have to unfriend them or something; my phone would be buzzing all day, every day.

At this point the whole conversation is pointless. We need to wait and see what the lily pad has in store for Wednesday. After that we can debate the need to add or delete whatever features we want or hate as needed. For whatever good it does.

fallout-shelter.jpg

Hold on a minute! That looks like a tuffet - time to paraphrase a parody of an old rhyme:

Little Miss Muffet

sits on her tuffet

in a nonchalant sort of way,

With her bomb shelter around her

the spider, that bounder,

is not in the picture today.

fallout-shelter.jpg

Hold on a minute! That looks like a tuffet - time to paraphrase a parody of an old rhyme:

Little Miss Muffet

sits on her tuffet

in a nonchalant sort of way,

With her bomb shelter around her

the spider, that bounder,

is not in the picture today.

Why do you suppose they felt the need to label the boxes "Canned Food" and "Canned Water"? Don't you think they would have figured that out pretty quickly? And where is the bathroom? Oh... maybe that's why the labels.

the resources that would be allocated to implement that feature can be used to fix/implement other more important features

Yes, here were my thoughts on that argument (posted above):

As for the concern that facebook/twitter integration in the manner I described would divert resources from fixing the current site issues, I haven't been around long enough to know if that's a realistic concern, but if it is, I agree entirely. Fix functionality issues first, address social networking integration second, and site navigation issues third (I didn't mention this one in my post, but at some point, the site does need a bit of an overhaul; it's not exactly user-friendly). But, saying "don't add these features until you've fixed what's broken" is materially different than "don't add these at all".

Where is the harm in providing users the OPTION of connecting their Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to their GC account for purposes of either (a) tweeting or posting their log entries to Facebook automatically, or

I'll tell you the problem: Many of my actual friends are geocachers. Not just Facebook "friends," but actual friends. I like having Facebook alert me to things like their kids birthdays, their return home after vacations, and their job promotions. But if I start getting an email alert every time one of them finds a geocache, I'll have to unfriend them or something; my phone would be buzzing all day, every day.

I get that, but that's a question of the social networking manners of your friends, and isn't, in my mind, particularly relevant to whether or not GC should provide the option. In any event, I think most folks would chose "Option ( b )" (excluded from your quote, but discussed in more detail above) anyway, in which event you would only get notifications of specific finds that your friends specifically decided to broadcast.

--Matt

You could select in FB not to see alerts from GC. problem solved

One observation: the cacher who started this thread is not a premium member. That means he (or she) is getting something for nothing. While we all benefit from suggestions for improving the site, perhaps this poster should consider that he is contributing nothing to the costs of developing and maintaining the site.

Like I said, I have generated about 75 euro to Groundspeak for buying the iphone app and ialking friends into buying it as well. But this does not matter. I should not have to pay for the right to voice my opinion, nor should anyone else. Pointing out that I am not a premium member is completely and utterly irrelevant. I will buy premium if I would benefit from its features, not to raise charity.

Edited by Viscus

Like I said, I have generated about 75 euro to Groundspeak for buying the iphone app and ialking friends into buying it as well. But this does not matter. I should not have to pay for the right to voice my opinion, nor should anyone else. Pointing out that I am not a premium member is completely and utterly irrelevant. I will buy premium if I would benefit from its features, not to raise charity.

And we who post to these forums are perfectly and freely able to disagree with your opinions and point out that you are not a paying member. Your ideas have some merit but I do not necessarily agree with all of them. BUT I am a paying member so my ideas should have more influence on GS than yours. I pay, I pick. :)

BUT I am a paying member so my ideas should have more influence on GS than yours. I pay, I pick. :)

B

Even if that was even remotely correct, it has exactly zip to do with this discussion. And I have accumulated more money for Groundspeak in 2 months by word of mouth than you do by paying for one year of premium. Drop the nonsense.

And we who post to these forums are perfectly and freely able to disagree with your opinions and point out that you are not a paying member. Your ideas have some merit but I do not necessarily agree with all of them. BUT I am a paying member so my ideas should have more influence on GS than yours. I pay, I pick. :)

Maybe posting to the Forums should only be available to premium members? We are the ones paying for the site....right?

Edited by KBfamily

Maybe posting to the Forums should only be available to premium members? We are the ones paying for the site....right?

I did not say basic members should not be able to use the site, the forums or any other part of the GC.com experience now did I? I also did not say basic members could not or should not be able to make suggestions for changes and improvements. I said that in my opinion the suggestions for changes and improvements that come from paying members should have more influence. I really do not see how my opinion can be construed as controversial in any way. But that is also my opinion. :)

There's no conceivable reason permitting users the OPTION of enabling the sharing options I describe in their settings should cause the site to be treated any differently under "many people's" IT policies. If it causes an overzealous IT Department to block the site, so be it; restricting site functionality out of a largely baseless fear of getting the site blocked by corporate filters is a little tinfoil-hat-type nuts.

The fact is however that some businesses and schools see Facebook and other social networking sites as eating into productivity.

It's not just some IT department, or a school or business policy that blocks Facebook. In a few weeks I'll be in China for a week and won't be able to use Facebook, Twitter, and most video streaming services. I know that, because I tried to use them during my last visit there last year. I really didn't miss Facebook but I do use Twitter on almost a daily basis. Since geocaching is a global activity any sort of functionality being implemented needs to consider its global user base, not just the social media aware users with good internet connectivity.

I did not say basic members should not be able to use the site, the forums or any other part of the GC.com experience now did I? I also did not say basic members could not or should not be able to make suggestions for changes and improvements. I said that in my opinion the suggestions for changes and improvements that come from paying members should have more influence. I really do not see how my opinion can be construed as controversial in any way. But that is also my opinion. :)

I wasn't suggesting that you said basic members shouldn't be able to use the forums....I am the one suggesting that perhaps they shouldn't be able to post in the forums. The geocaching experience is free for all...but, the forums don't need to be....Geocaching is free - that doesn't mean the forums should be free for anyone who doesn't want to help support this great hobby.....

I wasn't suggesting that you said basic members shouldn't be able to use the forums....I am the one suggesting that perhaps they shouldn't be able to post in the forums. The geocaching experience is free for all...but, the forums don't need to be....Geocaching is free - that doesn't mean the forums should be free for anyone who doesn't want to help support this great hobby.....

Aha! I was reading sarcasm when none was intended. :laughing:

I think the forums should be open to all members, not just paying ones. They can be one of the best ways to learn about the game.

Okay, to be perfectly clear: I am too satisfied with the new design to continue discussing in this thread. It gave me most of the things I wanted, including ease-of-access-details such as submenus, better organized pages, news on the front page and a better, more content design.

The best thing of all is that Groundspeak seems to be putting as much focus on the Geocaching community as I do. On the front page you can read 1. Browse [for geocaches], 2. Discover, and 3. Share which I interpret as a wish for an expanded community and social interaction.

Unfortunately no changes were made to profile presentations nor communication between members (such as guestbooks), and the forum remains external instead of integrated with the site (as seen on http://www.geocaching.se/). It would have been a great improvement as having it integrated (like a page, that is) could have served as a flexible stand-in for an actual social network.

Over-all, the update covered many of the main issues I adress in the starting post. And like many pointed out, changes must come one step at a time, and improving the foundation of the site might just be the preceeding step before expanding the actual community services. Let's hope so.

I guess there are better threads atm to discuss the update. Just wanted to share my few coins here :)