I94, I80 and I90 Cool Caches?

geocat_

We are driving from Ohio to Montana in a couple weeks. Wondering if anyone has any favorite caches which are located right off I94 westbound or I90/I80 eastbound (taking different routes there and back). I 94 would include WI, MN, ND, MT and I 90 would include WY, SD and I80 would include IA. We don't have tons of time so they can't involve long hikes, but we would like to grab some in each state and would love to have some really interesting ones if you know of any. Thanks in advance!

We are driving from Ohio to Montana in a couple weeks. Wondering if anyone has any favorite caches which are located right off I94 westbound or I90/I80 eastbound (taking different routes there and back). I 94 would include WI, MN, ND, MT and I 90 would include WY, SD and I80 would include IA. We don't have tons of time so they can't involve long hikes, but we would like to grab some in each state and would love to have some really interesting ones if you know of any. Thanks in advance!

Well the only advice I can offer is to run a pocket query for those states, then sort by favorites count. I did this on the way home from a trip and found an AMAZING cache on the ride back. I never would have seen it otherwise!

I found caches here back in 2004:

I-94 ND:

2. Prairie-View Cache GCHDDW Very nice small town.
  3. Sue Moo Motel GC1BBR9 Cool!
  4. Menoken Grove GCG2B6 Historic.

Edited by Downy288

What are the most important things for you in a cache? The Sword in the Stone that Team Dennis recommended is a container like you have never seen, but it is not in a particularly interesting area (that said, I wouldn't miss it, if I were you!). If a view and a hike are more important to you than the container, then the answers might be quite different.

If you will be heading south into Iowa from Minnesota (maybe on the way back), the Holly Shrine virtual, near Clear Lake/Mason City is a must (along with another, related virtual, The Day the Music Died, in Clear Lake)

I agree about Soo Moo Motel. I also found Lonesome Sentinal entertaining for its own reasons. The View is neat. and I don't know the route your taking but if you're by here it is a neat park to wander around.

Anyhow, I found on my trip geocaching the back roads in ND and Montana made the trip bearable. This was the one and on PQ I ever ran was doing a trip through these areas. Pulled up a ton of caches to do just off the highway.

George Don't Live Here No More is literally a park and grab located about 500' from an exit ramp. As quick and easy and funny as you will see in your entire trip.

You would also be in PRIME shape to qualify for The I-94 Challenge however you would have to actually find that cache on another trip...or take a massive detour on your way back home to go get it.

The I94 challenge would be awesome but we would have to take a massive detour to MI and then get back to WI. Also, not planning on taking it on the way home so I guess it isn't meant to be. But thanks for letting me dream!

George Don't Live Here No More is literally a park and grab located about 500' from an exit ramp. As quick and easy and funny as you will see in your entire trip.

+1 You'll be driving right by, Hudson is a good town to stop for a bite to eat, and that is a very fun cache! I believe it is actually a Letterbox Hybrid.

Another we will be sure to visit! Thanks!

If you are going as far as the Missoula area there are many fine caches there and south into the Bitterroot valley. I can give you a list of my favorites if you will be in that area.

Thanks for the offer but we won't be up that far. HEading to Boyd, MT

I'll point you to my post in another thread for I-94 in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota. The two I mention in Sioux Falls are not too far from I-90.

Other caches on I-94 that have at least two favorite votes are:

Also, Crossing the Borderline, eastbound I-90 only, in rest area, has two favorite votes.

Edited by msrubble

I'll point you to my post in another thread for I-94 in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota. The two I mention in Sioux Falls are not too far from I-90.

Other caches on I-94 that have at least two favorite votes are:

Also, Crossing the Borderline, eastbound I-90 only, in rest area, has two favorite votes.

Great list. Thank you!

Schizo-Light is supposed to be a really cool virtual but I have not had a chance to try it. Seems like it is either light when we drive past or we're pressed for time and can't stop to do it.

Officers Scenic Cache is another awesome spot if you want to stretch your legs for 30 minutes to an hour. It's the 15th oldest active cache in Wisconsin and one the most favorited.

How long are you planning on spending on this roadtrip? With all the suggestions here you could be out for weeks and still only hit a small number of the awesome spots out there.

Schizo-Light is supposed to be a really cool virtual but I have not had a chance to try it. Seems like it is either light when we drive past or we're pressed for time and can't stop to do it.

Officers Scenic Cache is another awesome spot if you want to stretch your legs for 30 minutes to an hour. It's the 15th oldest active cache in Wisconsin and one the most favorited.

How long are you planning on spending on this roadtrip? With all the suggestions here you could be out for weeks and still only hit a small number of the awesome spots out there.

I have that Schizo-light one bookmarked for a future trip I plan on taking. Looked kind of neat.

I have that Schizo-light one bookmarked for a future trip I plan on taking. Looked kind of neat.

I probably drive past it 5 or 6 times per year (actually 10 or 12 times if you count the return trip) while visiting the in-laws down in Madison.

If you are ever in Beautiful Stilly please feel free to look us up. We might even coax a certain bespectacled canine out for a drink if we play our cards right.

I probably drive past it 5 or 6 times per year (actually 10 or 12 times if you count the return trip) while visiting the in-laws down in Madison.

If you are ever in Beautiful Stilly please feel free to look us up. We might even coax a certain bespectacled canine out for a drink if we play our cards right.

My entire summer vacation road trip got screwed up this year when I took a new job. And then when I was down there in February I was in the process of getting my new job and didn't have time to sneak away and geocache as planned. lol

I still plan to get down there and do some sincere geocaching but might be pushed off another year. But from what I can see from what I researched for my road trip (mostly backroads) there are some neato caches that could be seen on the road trip planned by the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions. Look interesting! As for time, not much. We really are just looking for hides close to the highways since we only have about 2.5 days to get there and 2.5 days back. 1600 miles each way. We will be able to find some in Yellowstone and on a swing by Mount Rushmore area. Wish we had more time (and $$$) for the trip, but it just ain't meant to be.sad.gif

From I-90 Eastbound, take I-29 south to I-80.

It gets you across the Missouri River from Nebraska, and you can easily cross over for a cache-n-dash in that state before continuing your journey home.

Already planning on it. once I saw how close we would be. Added several easy ones across the river to PnG!

Thanks for the suggestions. Look interesting! As for time, not much. We really are just looking for hides close to the highways since we only have about 2.5 days to get there and 2.5 days back. 1600 miles each way. We will be able to find some in Yellowstone and on a swing by Mount Rushmore area. Wish we had more time (and $$$) for the trip, but it just ain't meant to be.sad.gif

I intended to find a ton in Yellowstone and found the crowds just problematic for me in doing that (totally sucked the fun right out of it for me). Ended up finding a couple and forsaking the rest to spend my time taking pictures. If I had it to do over again I would spend more time on my journey there and back and less time in Yellowstone as my favorite part of the trip was the geocaching to there and the little towns we saw on the way there and back.

Thanks for the suggestions. Look interesting! As for time, not much. We really are just looking for hides close to the highways since we only have about 2.5 days to get there and 2.5 days back. 1600 miles each way. We will be able to find some in Yellowstone and on a swing by Mount Rushmore area. Wish we had more time (and $) for the trip, but it just ain't meant to be.sad.gif

I intended to find a ton in Yellowstone and found the crowds just problematic for me in doing that (totally sucked the fun right out of it for me). Ended up finding a couple and forsaking the rest to spend my time taking pictures. If I had it to do over again I would spend more time on my journey there and back and less time in Yellowstone as my favorite part of the trip was the geocaching to there and the little towns we saw on the way there and back.

Visiting family and getting to hang with my 11 year old niece in Yellowstone will be really fun. I don't think we'll actually get many either, but maybe a good couple of virtuals/earthcaches.

Edited by geocating

The Sword in the Stone is just a few miles off I-94 on the east side of the Twin Cities metro area. It's racking up favorites like crazy and (having done it for my 1000th find) I can tell you it is pretty cool. Totally worth checking out if you have a chance!

They did it! http://www.geocachin...58-26088ce01af7

Yes we did! Glad someone noticed. We had to work hard to get through the mud, get it open, and then got lost trying to get out. My GPS somehow lost the trail in and we were left to my own sense of direction which is pretty poor, lol!

I really, really admire the craftsmanship that went into this hide! I was dying to see how it worked before I got it loose. Now that I saw it, I know it took a lot of planning and engineering!