TBs gone missing

mrdan01

What is the best thing to do when the cache info shows a TB in the inventory but then when you get there its not in there?

Do I just ignore it or make a note on the TB page thats it not where it says it is or is there a way to log it as not there or something. I have been to a few caches recently where the TBs in the inventory aren't actually in the cache.

As a CO, I generally appreciate it when finders make a note of the listed TB not being in the cache. Then I can keep an eye on the TB, and give it a reasonable amount of time to be picked up here on the site before marking it as missing.

It's really about all you can do.

Hi,

I've had a few of my own TB's go MIA but I certainly appreciate someone logging that's it's

not in the cache if they notice. And after a while I've moved them out and marked as missing

so no one makes a trip to the cache expecting to find 'em in there.

Happy hunting!

Allow me to second what The Blorenges wrote. Write a note on the trackable's page.

You can also mention the trackable in your log of the cache, by name helps. A good many cache owners and trackable owners have no idea that they can mark the trackable missing, or that doing that is a good idea.

But for those who do know it, these logs are really helpful.

What I do:

If I found a cache, came home to log and notice there's a TB or GC in the cache's inventory, I write in my online log that I don't remember seeing any TB; since I always look through the swag, I notice any traveler that is there.

If I know a traveler should be in the cache but isn't, I read the physical logs for clues of who might have taken it. Sometimes it's someone who took it the same day or the day before, sometimes it's a newbie who doesn't know how to log travelers (or doesn't know that travelers are not swag).

- if the traveler was taken recently, I wait for the cacher who took it to log his visit.

- if the cacher who took it logged his visit but didn't log the trackable, I send him a mail telling him that he forgot to log out the TB from the cache. If said cacher is a newbie, I add that trackables are not swag, and how to log them in/out of caches.

- if the cacher who took the TB could not be identified based on the paper and online logs, I send two mails, one to the TB owner and one to the cache owner, telling them that the TB is not there.

So far I sent several mails for missing trackables. The cache owners didn't mark the TB missing, probably they wanted to verify themselves, or chose to let the TB owner mark it as missing. The TB owners didn't mark it missing as well, probably they hoped it will reappear eventually.

I considered stopping emailing the owners. By reading this thread I acknowledge that there are cachers appreciating the information, and will continue to send the mails.

Bummer.

Alas, I've seen this happen to my TBs. Someone is all excited about geocaching, finds a few, picks up some bugs ... then drops off the face of the earth.

One was returned after a year, when it was passed by a former cacher to a friend to place.

Recently one which had been missing for a long time and last seen in an archived cache in Florida appeared recently near Quebec.

This happened today along a series of cache's on a hiking trail near my house. Three of them showed trackables, and none were inside..

I included in my log that the trackables weren't there, but somebody else should have noticed or marked it missing by now.. one of them was last seen being put into that cache over a year ago, and then no mention of it ever since!

This happened today along a series of cache's on a hiking trail near my house. Three of them showed trackables, and none were inside..

I included in my log that the trackables weren't there, but somebody else should have noticed or marked it missing by now.. one of them was last seen being put into that cache over a year ago, and then no mention of it ever since!

It's good that you mentioned the missing trackable when you logged the cache... it's also helpful if you can put a Note log on the trackable's home page to let the trackable owner know that it's not in the cache. Both the TB owner and the cache owner have the ability to mark the item as 'Missing' - doing so would then remove it from the cache inventory - but often they don't do so (for various reasons).

MrsB :)

yesterday we found a cache, listed online to contain 8 TB !!!

none was fount in there !!

this suck !!

I say logging a cache found is AFTER logging TB/Coins in/out !!

if you got spare time, then log the cache, thanks.

people actually pay money for trackables, so please take about their locations are updated correctly

or LEAVE them in good caches if you cant log them or dont take it a little bit seriously,

this suck !!

people actually pay money for trackables, so please take about their locations are updated correctly

or LEAVE them in good caches if you cant log them or dont take it a little bit seriously,

If those 8 TBs have been absent for a long time (more than 6 months) perhaps the cache owner does not realise that they can mark them as Missing so that the cache inventory accurately reflects what is in there (nothing!). You could email them to give them this info, but be aware that some COs feel it's not their responsibility to mark trackables as missing.

In the meantime I live in hope that Groundspeak can set up some better, automatic system... but I'm not holding my breath on this one...

Feature suggestion: To remove "ghost" trackables from caches.

MrsB :)

this suck !!

So, in your opinion, it is more important for people to attend to your property than to have fun caching.

Excellent example of why I won't touch trackables.

>Excellent example of why I won't touch trackables.

then you are doing your job, you dont screw their position up, thanks alot.

see the problem is people who actually take and place or keep them,

and forget / neglect to log what they do, that is bad style..

it is perfectly fine not to like trackables or play their game, then just dont touch them,

then they are not YOUR problem.