I really want to go geocaching...

jacob501

I think your best bet is to contact some of the cache owners in your area. Let them know that your are too young to drive and wondered if you could tag along with them on a future caching trip. Most are very friendly & would love to take a young cacher under their wing. I know I would jump at the chance to go caching with someone. It gets lonely out there sometimes. Try it,.you might be surprised by the results.

"Mom, Dad, I don't spend enough time with you guys. I really like it when we talk.. Can we go for a walk? yap, yap, yap... Hey look over there! What's in that bush?" ............ "Gee wiz dad, when I spend time with you like this, I don't feel the need to turn to drugs. I love you."

As I read in another thread... Your parents should be thrilled that you want to spend time with them.

Edited by pmolan

"Mom, Dad, I don't spend enough time with you guys. I really like it when we talk.. Can we go for a walk? yap, yap, yap... Hey look over there! What's in that bush?" ............ "Gee wiz dad, when I spend time with you like this, I don't feel the need to turn to drugs. I love you."

As I read in another thread... Your parents should be thrilled that you want to spend time with them.

hahaha.... :)

yeah maybe...but all of my "friends" would think its really geeky or stupid.

Alot of my friends thought it sounded ridiculous when I told them I caches but as soon as I took them on one of my hunts they were hooked :) so just give them a chance to experience the hunt and chances are they'll be part of our little club in no time :/

Ask your father to becom a merit badge councelor. And tell him that you know exactly which one! Also, organizing a CITO event is a great project for eagle scout.

Come to think of it, when I was in scouts many years ago, I can't remember one father that wasn't a merit badge councelor.

Edited by pmolan

Jacob, definitely work the Merit Badge angle. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster with our local troop. Talk to your Scoutmaster about getting started on the merit badge. I am not sure what rank you are or if you hold a troop position, but you could talk to the PLC about a Geocaching activity. You could plan a day hike or even a campout around Geocaching. As a matter of fact, our troop and I stumbled upon this cool (not geeky) activity while on a campout a couple of years ago. I had heard of Geocaching but never pursued it until we met up with a couple of cachers at a state park here in Ohio. I noticed the GPS and asked if they were Geocaching, they said yes and took a few minutes to show the scouts the GPS unit, how it worked and explained about the website and caching. One of them invited us to help him search for the cache. We hiked about .10 down the trail and then started searching and the cache was discovered! He showed us the log book and the tradeables. I have been hooked eversince. For me it was so cool when I checked out the website and found there was a cache in the park righ around the corner from my house! And a really cool woodsy cache right across the street from our scout hall! Getting back to the Geocaching activity, I bet if you can get some of the scouts and adult leaders to give it a try some of them will be hooked and then you will be the "hero" for bringing this COOL activity to your troop, and now you have some caching buddies and hopefully some adults to cache with.

Ps. The 367 in my caching name comes from our troop number. Geocaching and Scouting-both COOL activities!

The Boy Scouts now have a Geocaching Merit Badge. Maybe you could find a Boy Scout troop nearby and ask if any of them are interested.

I'm IN boy scouts!!!

We dropped out of the Boy Scouts. Any idea how geocaching and Scouting are working? I know a local Scout leader is an avid cacher and waymarker, but I don't know if any Scouts are geocachers.