Geomate Jr. In Alaska?

Yes, I understand all that. But in practicality, it just doesn't work that way. I'm consistantly about +/- 8 or 9 feet in AK, and as poor as 24 feet where as when I'm in the lesser 48, or in the UK, I'm consistantly +/- 4 or 6 feet accuracy. Once in the UK I hit +/- 2 feet! May not be the sattelites, could be the terrain, or something else but I'm here to say that it's just not the same here. It's kind of like shopping online. We can order whatever we want, it just costs a whole lot more to ship it here.

Anyway, WE digress. The question still stands. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has used the Geomate Jr. in Alaska.

Thanks!

Fuzzy

B)

It may have to do with WAAS accuracy. I know that coverage varies with location, and I think that Alaska is one of the places where it's not so good. Without WAAS, GPS accuracy can be pretty bad, as bad as 100 feet.

I'm sorry I can't answer your original question, as I have no experience with Geomate Jr accuracy in Alaska.

I'm consistantly about +/- 8 or 9 feet in AK, and as poor as 24 feet where as when I'm in the lesser 48, or in the UK, I'm consistantly +/- 4 or 6 feet accuracy. Once in the UK I hit +/- 2 feet!

One reason for that could be WAAS. The WAAS birds are geostationary and while AK is covered by them, getting reception from them up there can be quite a challenge.

Also I believe that the closer you are to the poles, the fewer GPS satellites you will see in average, which means that the average accuracy will be lower. I've noticed the same thing in Ireland, and that's not even that far north. But that's the case for every GPS receiver, Geomate or anything else, and there will always be enough satellites around for a decent quality fix. The Geomate has a high-sensitivity receiver, so it shouldn't have any problems. My guess is that its performance would be similar to how an eTrex H would perform.

Edited by dfx

I was thinking the same thing, but don't know enough about the WAAS sattelites to articulate it the way Poker and D did. Thanks!

I typically have 2 sattelites on my list with the 'D' on the signal strength bars, where as in the UK that day that I had 2 foot accuracy I had ALL D's.

DFX, thanks for the info on the Geomate's receiver. That helps.

Happy caching!

Fuzzy