Mac OS X users: Geocaching! Widget for Konfabulator available

macfamily6

I've developed a geocaching Widget for Konfabulator. Konfabulator is a JavaScript runtime engine for Mac OS X (version 10.2 or higher) which runs little mini-applications called Widgets. There are Widgets for doing all sorts of things, like displaying stock prices, weather conditions, eBay auctions, etc. Most of these Widgets pull real-time information from various Web sites.

The "Geocaching!" Widget I've written displays the 25 geocaches closest to a given location, which can be specified via latitude-longitude or U.S. Zip code. Behind the scenes, it uses the geocaching.com Web site to perform the searches, and refreshes its list every five minutes. The Widget can optionally display only the new caches amongst the closest 25.

Here's a screenshot of the Widget in action:

widgetScreenshot.jpg

You'll notice that the format of the data somewhat mirrors the cache results page on geocaching.com. I made the blue cache image a live hyperlink to the cache type informational page, and the cache name is a live hyperlink to the actual cache page on geocaching.com.

If you're a Mac OS X user and want to try the Widget, go download Konfabulator (available here) and my Widget (available here) and try it out.

Thanks,

Mike of macfamily6

mike.elness@pobox.com

[This message was edited by macfamily6 on March 25, 2003 at 09:44 PM.]

It reloads information from the site periodically? Just think of what would happen if all 3 Mac users decided to turn this thing on at the same time? Please reconsider before you pull down the server.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

It reloads information from the site Just think of what would happen if all 3 Mac users decided to turn this thing on at the same time?

Now, now, be nice to me and the other two Mac users. icon_razz.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by macfamily6:

Behind the scenes, it uses the geocaching.com Web site to perform the searches, and refreshes its list every five minutes.

This is a little too agressive. Ok, actually, I think its way too agressive. icon_biggrin.gif Would you mind changing this to refresh every hour or so? We don't get anywhere near enough new cache listings to make a 5 minute refresh useful, and the hit to the database from even a small number of Mac users is just too much. With the release of the new Geocaching site, we'll have better tools in place to allow applications like yours to access the data without impacting the performance of the rest of the site.

Thanks,

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Hey Marky-

If you're one and I'm one, who's the other Mac user?

That would be me. Actually I use 3 differnt Macs (OS X, OS 9.2 and OS 8.6) along with 2 or 3 PCs, but my OS X dualie is my main machine. I only use the PCs to convert Access databases into something usable. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by macfamily6:

Okay, I will update the Widget to refresh its list once per minute..., er, hour. icon_wink.gif

Mike of macfamily6

As promised, I have updated the Geocaching! Widget for Konfabulator from a five-minute refresh period to a sixty-minute period.

I'll be adding more features (e-mail me those suggestions!), but I wanted to get this fix in quickly.

Note: I will _not_ be adding an option to grab more than 25 caches at a time.

Mike of macfamily6

mike@elness.com

I'm a mac user too!!! My first computer was an Apple IIe. Now I use OSX on a G4 Powerbook icon_biggrin.gif

I love my mac, but i have to admit I get pretty frustrated by the lack of software and excessive pricing ..no AutoCAD, no good topo(at least I haven't found any), even Pixar's Renderman is only being made for windows and UNIX and Pixar/Disney/Apple are related companies. Every once in a while I think about selling the Mac and going to PC so I can use AutoCAD and 3Dmax ...but I just don't have the heart to do it.

Finding good topo software is a problem. I've got one of the Nat'l Geographic packages for Southern California that's not bad, but it has kind of a clunky interface and the maps are pretty outdated I just got MacGPS Pro which isn't bad, but doesn't do everything I want by any means.

As much as I love my mac I'm thinking I may buy a Windoze machine just for GPSing, topo and some HAM stuff that I want to do. XP really isn't too bad as long as nothing goes wrong with it. The interface is a lot like OS X actually. One of the main reasons I haven't bought an XP box is because I'll have to go buy Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark all over again. That adds another $1500 to the price tag!

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

Finding good topo software is a problem. I've got one of the Nat'l Geographic packages for Southern California that's not bad, but it has kind of a clunky interface and the maps are pretty outdated I just got MacGPS Pro which isn't bad, but doesn't do everything I want by any means.

I bought that and just got OSX hoping to be able to make the interface from the Garmin and Palm and computer all play nice together. I also bought the Garmin map for cities. With OS X do I still have someone else load those maps onto the GPS?

You're in Orange County? I am out in the Mojave desert.

quote:
One of the main reasons I haven't bought an XP box is because I'll have to go buy Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark all over again. That adds another $1500 to the price tag!

...like upgrading to OSX all over again ..I still haven't bought my updates for illustrator, Quark and InDesign (although I upgraded photoshop) so I have to start up in system 9 to run them.