Spring / Summer Caching

We started Geocaching in November, so we had just a few weeks of beautiful Fall weather before the area turned frigid the day after Thanksgiving. We've had a blast all winter going out into the snow. The woods are fantastic in the winter and we never would have known that without Geocaching. We're trying to look past the terrential rains that are hindering our caching right now and were wondering what Spring and Summer might bring. We're already seeing the impact on waterways, most certainly the vegitation will add to difficulty, and we're thinking there will most likely be more muggles. What else do we have in store for us? Can't imagine Geocaching being ant better than those first few weeks in November, but can it be?

The main difference to me, here in WA State, is that the plant life can get so thick it can make it really difficult to find caches hidden in plants.

When the berries grow larger, or the nettles grow up, you've got to watch out a little more too.

Another different thing about the summer, is that it can screw up the timing on night caches. It gets dark so late here, you've got to be out REALLY late to get them. I figure I'll probably try to get some in the spring before the sun is out too late at night.

Probably the best thing about the summer though, is the boat caches. Looking forward to more of those!!!

as another cacher in the Pacific NW

I agree about berry bushes/nettles etc

even though we had a strange winter

they are already starting to grow back and

that always adds a star or 2 to the difficulty

or try to find another way to GZ

but on the plus side we get warmer temps, less rain

and mud, and longer sunlight hours

The main difference to me, here in WA State, is that the plant life can get so thick it can make it really difficult to find caches hidden in plants.

When the berries grow larger, or the nettles grow up, you've got to watch out a little more too.

Another different thing about the summer, is that it can screw up the timing on night caches. It gets dark so late here, you've got to be out REALLY late to get them. I figure I'll probably try to get some in the spring before the sun is out too late at night.

Probably the best thing about the summer though, is the boat caches. Looking forward to more of those!!!

Night caches? I have done 15 of my 16 during the day.

are you able to see the glints?

We did a night cache in the daytime, and were able to see the blinkies - just! They were the stealth type, and once we got our eyes were used to them, not too much of a problem. I am doing some "night" forum posting right now. We have a big wind storm in progress and lost power about 15 mins ago. We still have internet, thanks to a battery backup thingy. I have to rethink supper - thank goodness for a gas cooktop.

I'm looking forward to longer, warmer and drier days for caching, even if there are more bugs and muggles around!

Yep. Just have to look carefully, thats all. Can see them very easily. Do not need to bother aiming a flashlight either. Fire tacks. Glints. Whatever. Works just as easy in daylight. Now the few caches that have used laser beams, those I would do at night.

The ticks come back out of hiding, the poison ivy, oak and sumac leaves come back out, and overall vegetation makes getting good reception more difficult. But your batteries last longer because it's not as cold, and it's more pleasant to be outside than in the winter.

Yep. Just have to look carefully, thats all. Can see them very easily. Do not need to bother aiming a flashlight either. Fire tacks. Glints. Whatever. Works just as easy in daylight. Now the few caches that have used laser beams, those I would do at night.

And that's why I created Glow in the Dark...

Sorry 'bout your torrential rains, but we still be in lots of snow. Easy going at this time, but most caches are beneath more than 2 ft. of "old" snow.

WHEN the snow departs, we have about 2 - 3 weeks before the Michigan Airforce shows up, mosquitoes so thick you breathe them. If they fail to stop you, then the stealth fighters are sent your way -- black flies. Later, no-see-ums (never heard of them, eh?) are biting you -- so tiny you almost need a magnifying glass to see them while they are gnawing away on your hand or arm.

Ticks also show up soon after those critters, but are easier to avoid. Stay out of tall grass/weeds/bushes. The most prevalent variety are wood ticks, but they don't usually care for the woods, they need the tall grass, etc. to transfer to a host (cannot jump or fly).

Wolves and coyotes are usually full of carrion and resting. Bears, fresh from hibernation are really hungry! They are very temperamental about you tripping over one of their cubs.

Easy to avoid most of those things listed. Just stick to LPC's. :P

Poor GPSr reception when the trees are thick and fully leafed-out in thick forest during Summer. In the Fall after the leaves have fallen, or in the early Spring when there are only buds, the reception is very good. I've encountered forests so thick in mid-summer that I've had to find a clearing and get a direction/distance reading on my GPSr. Then pace off in that direction to get close to the cache.

medoug.