Offline maps For Android Phones Here At Last!

Well at last I can download open street maps to use offline with my android phone!

There is an app called Locus maps this allows you to view online maps ,and now download them as well.

when downloading I would sugest selecting zoom levels 1 upto 23 as level 24 takes 4 times as much memory and you dont really need it.

You can also put gpx files into the locus directory on your phone and they are displayed on the map.

Locus can display cache details , description and logs without the need for another geocaching app on your phone.

If you use G:geo any list (nearest caches , stored caches etc) can be displayed on external map ( press menu display on externay map then pick locus)

Once a map is saved on your phone it can be copied off of the sd card onto your pc and shared it takes a while for ech map to be created by your phone so sharing is good.

There is a program to run on a pc for making maps to be displayed on Locus instead of doing it on your phone but I have not tested that yet, it's called

Mobile Atlas Creator

I have been playing with this for a little bit on what might be consideed a large almost phone XOOM. Works very nicely. I haven't discovered how to save the maps. Is it automatic?

When on the map screen, press the top right hand button, up comes three tabs the right hand one says download.

Click download and you have several options I normally download screen (zoom till you have the bit you want filling the screen).

you then get a list of zoom levels tick the ones you want I do 1 to 23, and set it going (I normally set phone display to never turn off) it will take some time to download Im just downloading a 100 mile by 150 mile ish part of the uk this will be around 800 megs in size.

Im still learning.

cheers paul

Not trying to be a jerk but "here at last"? this has been available for months upon months.

Fair comment but I am from the uk and no one I have spoken to here new about this maybe we are slow or maybe nobody posted about it so Im hoping to spread the word in the uk.

Mobile Atlas Creator is certainly a good option to create maps for those on limited data plans or in places where data is expensive like over here (South Africa).

I have been using it for a while now to create maps for Locus, Rmaps, Mytrails etc on the Android platform.

There are a few simple tutorials out there which I could have sworn that I bookmarked but I don't seem to be able to find right now.

Will post links if I do manage to locate them.

Now all I need is for the Groundspeak app to support offline maps and for the Android Market to be made available on our side of the pond so that I can buy it.

Intresting what you said ab Atlas creator. Is it quicker than doing it on your phone?

I have just out made a map 120 miles by 150 miles and it took 18 hours the file produced was 750 meg

The map is great maybe I just have to be patient ,after all you only make each map once.

I have never tried downloading a map directly to my phone - it will chew far too much data. But I guess it would be quicker.

I created a map of around 50 Km by 20 Km over my Adsl line and that took around 3 hours.

Bear in mind that our line speeds are not nearly as fast as yours.

I do not need large areas - I have an Oregon 450 which I use to do most of my navigation and caching.

The phone caching I do is for those caches which are released while I am out on site and cannot get onto my 450 - which may not even be with me in the first place.

Nothing like having a new cache published a short distance from where you might be working - almost guaranteed FTF.

gonna try locus caching offline for the first time this week.. we'll see how it goes.. taking the backup gpsr just in case..

gonna try the official app offline too.. just to see..

If using Atlas creator select zoon levels 7 to 15 ( thats the same as the phones zoom 23) also save as Rmaps SQlite

Not trying to be a jerk but "here at last"? this has been available for months upon months.

Fair comment but I am from the uk and no one I have spoken to here new about this maybe we are slow or maybe nobody posted about it so Im hoping to spread the word in the uk.

Hi

I'm also in the UK, and have had several mapping apps loaded that allow me to cache maps to my phone since I first got an Android phone about a year ago. They've always been there - just google mapping apps or search market for them :)

Ok will have a look you are a head of us in the midlands then.

The people I mix with have not long gone to using phones as a back up, they all use gprs for "serious caching", so not much info around, so maybe we need to spread the word.

I think with offline maps and being able to store PQ'S on the phone as well as use it live ,the old guard maybe tempted to put down there gprs and pick up a phone for serious caching trips.

Only one question you maybe able to answer, can you buy open street maps on a sd card like you can buy OS maps (view ranger) if this has been around for a while, instead of having to download it myself it would be much easier to just buy them ready done.?

Only one question you maybe able to answer, can you buy open street maps on a sd card like you can buy OS maps (view ranger) if this has been around for a while, instead of having to download it myself it would be much easier to just buy them ready done.?

If you take the time to read talkytoaster's UK OSM site, about half way down, you'll see that he offers to write them to a card that you supply - or will sell you a card with the maps installed. But TBH it's very easy to just download and install them yourself....

If you take the time to read talkytoaster's UK OSM site, about half way down, you'll see that he offers to write them to a card that you supply - or will sell you a card with the maps installed. But TBH it's very easy to just download and install them yourself....

I have looked but the maps Im downloading are much more detailed (zoom level 23) (800 MB for a 120 mile by 150 mile area)

The gps will work but it will take longer to get a lock.

the phone uses, phone cell towers and wifi to get a rough position which speeds up getting a lock.

as for Locus pro it has no ads and seems quicker, there has been lots of work put in to it recently so maybe now its finished the writer wants to get a little money back for all there hard work, Me I was happy to pay as its a great program.

An OLD droid phone????

Can't be that old, it might need an update to Froyo.

Good point mind you some kids think three months is old for a phone lol

LOL..got it Release date 2009..and Just got the Thunderbolt last week. She is too pretty to go out into the wild like the Droid did. the Droid can take the abuse... And I figure I might as well get some use out of it...

An OLD droid phone????

Can't be that old, it might need an update to Froyo.

Good point mind you some kids think three months is old for a phone lol

LOL..got it Release date 2009..and Just got the Thunderbolt last week. She is too pretty to go out into the wild like the Droid did. the Droid can take the abuse... And I figure I might as well get some use out of it...

It's quite ironic, if it works that means you have taken a phone and turned it into what some people would call "A real Gps" !!!!!!!!