Logging Finds <- After the fact

Fish-bone

Hi Everybody,

I finally got around to creating a Geocaching ID today. To give you some history, I have been tagging along with a few of my friends who cache for the better part of 2 years. I enjoyed the hiking aspect of caching but was never interested in actually logging anything. Now, almost 2 years later my friends have talked me into creating an account. Now that I have done so, are there rules or more importantly ethics issues with me going back and logging my finds? For the most part I always put my name in the log book (I used my real name not my caching name).

Thanks,

F-B

What you can do as far as the dates of the finds, go to your friends profile and pull up their geocaches found. Scroll and click through the ones you know you were with them hiking, see when they made their entry, click on log it, change the date and add your comment. I do this with my daughters caches.

CacheKidz!

I think it would have been better to explain it in the logs.

Echoing that. While there's certainly no requirement, it might be good to add a copy/paste blurb to your logs, to the effect of:

I did not have a geocaching account when I found this with Bill and Fred, so I signed my real name in the logbook.

Now that I have an account, I'm playing catch up. Sorry for the late log!

I think it would have been better to explain it in the logs.

Echoing that. While there's certainly no requirement, it might be good to add a copy/paste blurb to your logs, to the effect of:

I did not have a geocaching account when I found this with Bill and Fred, so I signed my real name in the logbook.

Now that I have an account, I'm playing catch up. Sorry for the late log!

Yes this is really good.

Also I might add, "contact me for questions"

I ended up doing some late logs once, and wrote that in the online log. It seemed to help. A few of the cache owners did contact me but most I never heard from. No one deleted my logs.

Hi Everybody,

I finally got around to creating a Geocaching ID today. To give you some history, I have been tagging along with a few of my friends who cache for the better part of 2 years. I enjoyed the hiking aspect of caching but was never interested in actually logging anything. Now, almost 2 years later my friends have talked me into creating an account. Now that I have done so, are there rules or more importantly ethics issues with me going back and logging my finds? For the most part I always put my name in the log book (I used my real name not my caching name).

Thanks,

F-B

Thats fine. You can figure out the dates from the times that your friends visited. However to bump old threads you need to have an account at least as old as the thread, and be wearing flameproof material. ;)

We found several caches before we created our account. I logged them on the dates we found them. Someone emailed me later and asked about it. I explained why and they said it was ok. In hindsight, I think it would have been better to explain it in the logs. It just didn't occur to me at the time.

I'm just curious, how did you get the coords?