Cache treasures

Boltonian

I would avoid batteries purely because of the mess (and acid) they can make if they get wet - having said that I have seen them in caches in the past.

It's a tricky one that I'd love a solution for - 95% of stuff in caches is, let's be honest, junk and even young kids soon tire of doing the swaps. I'm just preparing a series of 18 caches and I've spent over £20 on stuff just for the sake of it but I'd be much happier spending more if it was useful and wanted.

Rather than batteries themselves we often leave a battery case in a cache. They're cheap enough if you buy 20+ at a time.

prod_100600.jpg

Sometimes you can also find tweezers at a cheap price - they might not be great quality for tweezing your eyebrows but they're handy in a caching kit for extracting nano log rolls.

MrsB

I like both answers, I was thinking along the lines of things that are of use to everyone rather than just children, obviously I will cater for children as thats half the fun (dont have any myself through choice) the batteries wont be put in then.

Ikea pencils are good to put in caches, as the amount of times I have struggled to sign a slightly damp log I think pencils may be the way to go :)

I didn't know Ikea sold their pencils :D:ph34r:

Smile, would coloured pencils be any use as they must have some form of coloured wax that might show better??

I was planning to buy a job lot and cut them into 3 sections each.

Smile, would coloured pencils be any use as they must have some form of coloured wax that might show better??

I did that (with normal pencils) and got sick of trying to sharpen them all with a standard small pencilcase type sharpener. I need one of those funky ones my teacher used to have bolted to his desk.

I did that (with normal pencils) and got sick of trying to sharpen them all with a standard small pencilcase type sharpener. I need one of those funky ones my teacher used to have bolted to his desk.

Got one.

Also got an electric one - you just push it in and it strips full sized down to ikea size in a minute.

Barclays have started to make IKEA sized pens available.

Edited by Boltonian

We got fed up trying to sharpen blunt pencils in the field, so we bought a desktop pencil sharpener (just like the teacher had).

We carry a pencil case full of sharpened pencils of different lengths, so when we come to a cache with a blunt pencil, we just swap pencils, and sharpen the blunt one at home, ready for swapping next time.

I also bought a load of these LED torches to put in caches. Cheap enough to buy.

Chris (MrB)

prod_103947.jpg

Where did you get that idea from :lol:

I put one of those in my first (only) cache.

Given the ethos of 'if you can't trade up, don't trade' should I be surprised at how much junk ends up in caches? If we all followed the guidelines of trading, caches should just get better and better, but I haven't seen any evidence of that happening.