Kid Friendly Caches

What constitutes "Kid Friendly"??? Someone brought PBC #4 Bear with Us to my attention, wondering if having grizzly bears nearby qualifies as "Kid Friendly"? On the other fin, I read the cache description

This, the fourth in the Pill Bottle Cache series, is a "log only" camo'd pill bottle with a child-proof cap.
and wondered if a pill bottle with a child-proof cap is "Kid Friendly"?

What constitutes "Kid Friendly"??? Someone brought PBC #4 Bear with Us to my attention, wondering if having grizzly bears nearby qualifies as "Kid Friendly"? On the other fin, I read the cache description

This, the fourth in the Pill Bottle Cache series, is a "log only" camo'd pill bottle with a child-proof cap.
and wondered if a pill bottle with a child-proof cap is "Kid Friendly"?

lol, I usually call my kids over to open those for me as they hurt my fingers.

A cache in a spot like this isn't necessarily kid unfriendly, but I doubt I'd use the kid friendly attribute for one like this.

For me to use the attribute it would have most of these qualities:

1. A walk of no more than a half mile over easy terrain.

2. Something along the way or at the cache site that would be of interest to children.

3. A cache that holds swag. If I use the kid friendly attribute I stock it with kid friendly swag.

4. Nothing dangerous, or beyond PG13, meaning no cliffs, no "adult" stores, no homeless encampments, no syringes and broken beer bottles, etc.

Edited by briansnat

In Fort Dodge, Iowa half of the "kid friendly" caches are micros. They just happen to be in a park.

My 5yo niece and 5yo nephew thought those were boring.

They loved the regular/ammo-can caches that we found. Those were the "secret treasures" they told their mothers and grandmother all about.

They really loved GC1X1TX The Tooth Fairy because they were able to each pick out a brand-new toothbrush (yay for dentist offices that get in to having a cache behind their building!)

So I have to second the call that kid-friendly holds swag.

If nothing too exciting for kids on the way to the cache, then hopefully the cache container is exciting like this was.

Simpley put: somewhat easy to get to and find and full of kiddie type items, toys etc. Watching a kids eyes light up as they find a large container full of colorful kiddie items says kid friendly to us. We just took our 3.5 year old grand daughter out for her first geocaching trip. We hit a few we had already been to but remembered them being very kid friendly. We sat at the caches and looked through all the toys and let her pick her favorite and then traded for it. Prior to finding any caches we explained to her that she could have one item in each of the "buried treasures" we might find on our "adventure". A very nice family outing it was. We plan to place a few very kid friendly caches ourselves.

A cache in a spot like this isn't necessarily kid unfriendly, but I doubt I'd use the kid friendly attribute for one like this.

For me to use the attribute it would have most of these qualities:

1. A walk of no more than a half mile over easy terrain.

2. Something along the way or at the cache site that would be of interest to children.

3. A cache that holds swag. If I use the kid friendly attribute I stock it with kid friendly swag.

4. Nothing dangerous, or beyond PG13, meaning no cliffs, no "adult" stores, no homeless encampments, no syringes and broken beer bottles, etc.

I would say this, at least for most. However, like adults all kids are different and some would prefer a challenging hide to an ammo box full of dollar bills that super easy. I know the Nick half of our teams wants to trade stuff but he wants to entertained even more. It has to be fun to find and when he finds a really challenging cache he'll be excited for days even if it's a nano.

The favorite cache of my daughters (age 9 & 12) was a 3.5/4.5 multi that involved entering small caves. My 12 year old wants to do some night caching. I wouldn't LIST any of these caches as kid friendly but it depends on your kids whether its kid friendly or not.

Caves are definitely cool with the 10 and 12 year old girls at my house -- multiple caves were at the core of their favourite earthcache so far. But, apart from that, swag rules. Especially if it's in an ammo can. They cringe at the sound of "micro".