2012 Olympic geocoins

There are currently two designs and a total of eight colours of Geolympix coins in development by the 2012 Geolympix Mega team. The plan is to have one design available in bronze, silver and gold. The other coin will be an enamelled style available in five colours; Green, Blue, Yellow, Red and Black (or perhaps white). None will infringe on Olympic trademarks; something we're very wary of! Designs should be available after the Wales 2011 Mega, with orders being taken thereafter. We also intend to include coins as a part of supporters packs in Bronze, Silver and Gold variants, depending on the contribution to the costs of running this ambitious event and side events.

Please be aware that the Olympic symbols are protected under law and that their use without permission is a criminal (rather than civil) offense.

This being said, I am not aware of any Olympic coins at this time.

Correct.. and they watch like a hawk. As volunteers we got a list of approved companies using the logo or name, and were to report all others. I believe they were giving out cache awards for people that turned in fakes but I dont remember for sure. They even went after an Olympic squad that had pins with logos and had not gotten permission. The IOC is very very picky and one of the most aggressive at protecting their property. So tread lightly or you could have issues.

I find myself typing cache rather than cash pretty often too :)

Don't worry, the name Geolympix has been in use by a geology event for many years without issue and there are no plans to use the famous interconnected rings, Wenlock or Mandeville characters or anything like them (collective sigh of relief!), or the word Olympics anywhere on the event's promotional material, collectables, tradables, travel items or logo'd caching equipment we plan to offer to fund the Geolympix event. The Geolympix team are glad to have 'connections' to people in the know through a past torch-bearer - Wendy of Dorsetgal and Geodog fame - to help us avoid any issues. :)

Please be aware that the Olympic symbols are protected under law and that their use without permission is a criminal (rather than civil) offense.

Correct.. and they watch like a hawk. As volunteers we got a list of approved companies using the logo or name, and were to report all others. I believe they were giving out cache awards for people that turned in fakes but I dont remember for sure. They even went after an Olympic squad that had pins with logos and had not gotten permission. The IOC is very very picky and one of the most aggressive at protecting their property. So tread lightly or you could have issues.

Whilst I don't disagree with what you have said, clearly they cannot police everything, and when I was in China for the last Olympics, it was in fact very difficult to find anywhere selling official merchandise, everywhere was selling unofficial stuff - even our Torch Bearers bus was festooned in unofficial bunting etc. on top of the official branding.

Also, people should not get confused between the 2012 Geolympix Geocaching Mega Event and the other 2012 event being held in the UK around the same time! The geocaching event will have commemorative coins, and they will not be breaching any intellectual property of a similarly calendared event.

[sigh] There was a time when the Olympic Games were a celebration of amateur activities - and now they've got people policing the logo. They should be ashamed! :(