A Sticky Spot

gardengorilla

Hi All.

I have been trading for quite a while and I guess the following scenario has happened a couple of times. I trade a coin and the coin sent to me has some major blemish rendering it useless against any future trades or sales. I am most likely apt to shrug my shoulders and say, "oh well, someone had to get this coin may as well have been me"(I am Canadian!)

BUT this is a coin that I really wanted and I am pretty disappointed. Do I contact the trader or the person who minted the coin? It was a coin minted recently for a good cause. Should I just suck it up? Or what?

Hi All.

I have been trading for quite a while and I guess the following scenario has happened a couple of times. I trade a coin and the coin sent to me has some major blemish rendering it useless against any future trades or sales. I am most likely apt to shrug my shoulders and say, "oh well, someone had to get this coin may as well have been me"(I am Canadian!)

BUT this is a coin that I really wanted and I am pretty disappointed. Do I contact the trader or the person who minted the coin? It was a coin minted recently for a good cause. Should I just suck it up? Or what?

I would politely contact the person you traded with and mention it. If it is a major blemish then shame on them for trading it. If there is any blemish what-so-ever then they should have mentioned it prior to the trade.

Hi All.

I would politely contact the person you traded with and mention it. If it is a major blemish then shame on them for trading it. If there is any blemish what-so-ever then they should have mentioned it prior to the trade.

I agree with this. The trader should never have traded this coin without mentioning the blemish. To do so voids the validity of the trade and puts the traders integrity into question. I would hope that they will honor the intent of the trade (one unblemished coin for another) by either exchanging the blemished coin for an unblemished coin of the same type; compensating you in some other way or offering to return your (unblemished) coin to you and you send back the blemished coin (trade voided)

CF30

I believe that the least you should do is contact your trading partner and inform them of your disappointment that the coin is NOT as you had expected it to be when you established a value to trade for it. A blemished coin is obviously not worth as much as a pristine one. But the real question is what YOU want to have happen. You said you really wanted this coin so are you willing to accept it in the condition it's in for a lesser trade value or do you want a pristine one? The first desire should be accomplished with your trading partner but the second involves additional individuals.

I had a trade take 8 months recently because of finish blemishes. I sent the first set of coins back to the trader, and the manufacturer replaced them. Then when he finally got the replacements in, what he sent me had another error. So I had to wait for another one. I highly doubt the blemishes were noticed ahead of time, since they were clearly factory sealed. But those are the breaks of using Shiny Copper plating.

I know I've sent out stuff with blemishes on accident, even though I try to look closely. If that happens, I take it back, no problem. I don't always let the other trader know I got blemished items, especially if I'm keeping the item.

TMA

Anyone have a blemished moun10bike coin they want to get rid of? I'd take it in a heartbeat. ;) I got a zombie hunting permit geocoin off of ebay and it is the shiney copper. Where they engrave the numbers and tracking code is blemished but I am going to deal with it cause I wanted the coin. Too bad it did not have the custom icon that it said it had for the coin.

Don't worry this wasn't a Moun10bike coin or any old coin for that matter. It was a newer 'personal' coin that was just minted.

The trader emailed back and was pretty stand up about the whole thing. I sent him pictures and he is going to see what he can do. It looks like the metal actually corroded under the enamel.

It happens from time to time and honestly I can't recall ever taking extra time to look for blemishes in trading coins. That's not to say I haven't noticed them sometimes and put them in my "to be released to tossed in a cache" pile, but I'm sure at some point in the myriad trades I've made that it has probably happened. I'd ask the person you traded with if they have another in better shape first and assume it was just an accident. If they don't have one available, I'd ask the original designer or producer if they had one for trade. Last, I'd just list it here and see if someone has one they'd trade you that's in better shape. Believe it or not, people still throw these beautiful pieces into caches pretty regular so there's always a chance someone will trade you for one of theirs destined for a road trip :)

Just out of curiosity, what coin is it? One of the people reading this thread might just be able to help you out.

Hmmmm...sounds kinda familiar. Didn't know about this discussion, but your trader had already been in contact with me and sent me pictures. I asked for your address, so check your mailbox in a few days.

Mistakes happen, especially at the mint. No idea what it is, but neither one of us spotted it. I joked and said that a factory worker must've dropped his cigarette ash while doing the enamels. :ph34r:

Just activate yours and send it out in a cache. Maybe you can give it a goal to reach Washington D.C. and the headquarters of the National Breast Cancer Coalition?

:anicute: Yes Yime. I came here first for some advice but I didn't want to mention names or anything. Turns out these kinds of things happen and the trader was unaware of the blemish. I would expect this kind of thing more on older coins but something must have happened in production that showed up later.

I am happy to activate the traded coin. I think it would be really cool if it could attend fund raising rallies for Breast Cancer. I did the first 'Weekend to End Breast Cancer' walk in Calgary, Alberta a few years back...a grueling 60km all weekend ordeal. I have to say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done and most rewarding as you had to raise at least $2000 just to enter. In total over 7 million dollars were raised. Back then I was doing it for my daughter so she could have a future without worrying about Breast Cancer but since then I have had 2 Aunts who were diagnosed and passed away with Breast Cancer. So, when I get back to Canada maybe I should get my butt in gear and do it all over again!:lol:

OH! Almost forgot! On a separate note I took the kids to visit the Perth Mint today. We saw a whole bunch of coins being made :lol: and they got their very own coins 'minted'. They are obviously not stamped from a mold but engraved with their names, etc. VERY COOL!! And we saw $250,000 worth of gold being poured into a brick mold.

The coin making machines were really amazing. They stamped out quite a few coins while we were there about 20 in two minutes I guess. They are all handled with gloves and no one is smoking but then again this is Perth, not China.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm...sounds kinda familiar. Didn't know about this discussion, but your trader had already been in contact with me and sent me pictures. I asked for your address, so check your mailbox in a few days.

Mistakes happen, especially at the mint. No idea what it is, but neither one of us spotted it. I joked and said that a factory worker must've dropped his cigarette ash while doing the enamels. :ph34r:

Just activate yours and send it out in a cache. Maybe you can give it a goal to reach Washington D.C. and the headquarters of the National Breast Cancer Coalition?

Got it! Thanks again, it is beautiful:anicute:

OH! Almost forgot! On a separate note I took the kids to visit the Perth Mint today. We saw a whole bunch of coins being made :lol: and they got their very own coins 'minted'. They are obviously not stamped from a mold but engraved with their names, etc. VERY COOL!! And we saw $250,000 worth of gold being poured into a brick mold.

The coin making machines were really amazing. They stamped out quite a few coins while we were there about 20 in two minutes I guess. They are all handled with gloves and no one is smoking but then again this is Perth, not China.:rolleyes:

??? they made coins with their names?? well.. not legal tender but like medals right?? It sounds so cool!!! WOW!!!

Oh... and was the design the same with the original coins or not?? I have never seen something like that so... :D

Edited by GATOULIS