The Addiction

mpilchfamily

When i found out about Geocashing it came at a perfect time. For a long while now i've been looking for a good hobby that wouldn't cost a whole lot. So this was perfect. For an initial investment of a couple hundred bucks i could be caching regularly. Then i find out about the premium membership. $30 a year isn't bad and is a heck of alot better then paying $14 a month on World of Warcraft.

Then i find out about Geocoins. Thus a new addiction beguines. I'm seeing all these really cool coins and wanting to buy them all. These things are hitting me hard in the wallet. Before i knew it i had spent about $100 on these coins. There are still many more i would like to get and more come out every week. I've also discovered all these fun missions with the coins. Why can't i find a great hobby that doesn't cost anything?

For now the wife is supportive. She sees how much fun i'm having with it all. But the obsession with the coins is starting to have its affect on her. Anyone else have this kind of trouble brewing or happening? Guess i'll have to keep my collection limited for now and try to focus on just a few per year that i just gotta get.

Guess i'll have to keep my collection limited for now and try to focus on just a few per year that i just gotta get.

The only problem with that is just when you have limited yourself, to the few you "gotta have", along comes another one that you "gotta have"! It's the subliminal lure of the Geocoin calling. ;)

Yep, Just when i thought i was good to go for a bit i saw the thread for the Year of the Rabbit coin. So i just had to reserve one. Would have reserved one of each finish but the wife would kill me. She'll already be upset when she finds out about the reservation. But the color and finish combos are perfect and covers the wife's, my son and my favorite colors.

In the very first cache we found was a Geocoin (a Dutch Geocoin 2005) and I loved them from that moment on. I started to buy a few and put a few out into the wild. Then I started to collect them. As you described it I tried to buy only the really nice onces, only the must to have ones. Forget it!!!!!!!!!!!! There are more of these coins than you think and its getting more and more. There is no escape. Right now I accepted my addiction and are happy enough that I have a lovely wife who is at least tolerating that. She likes my sparkling eyes when I come home and I there is a bubble envelope to open - looks like a child at Xmas for sure :lol:

My 7 year old son likes them too of course (he has allreday some pirate coins) and even my 1 year old daughter loves them. I have a box with traders and she loves it to take them all out of the box and then back into the box and so on and so on. She can do that for hours and I can watch her for hours...

When i found out about Geocashing it came at a perfect time. For a long while now i've been looking for a good hobby that wouldn't cost a whole lot. So this was perfect. For an initial investment of a couple hundred bucks i could be caching regularly. Then i find out about the premium membership. $30 a year isn't bad and is a heck of alot better then paying $14 a month on World of Warcraft.

Then i find out about Geocoins. Thus a new addiction beguines. I'm seeing all these really cool coins and wanting to buy them all. These things are hitting me hard in the wallet. Before i knew it i had spent about $100 on these coins. There are still many more i would like to get and more come out every week. I've also discovered all these fun missions with the coins. Why can't i find a great hobby that doesn't cost anything?

For now the wife is supportive. She sees how much fun i'm having with it all. But the obsession with the coins is starting to have its affect on her. Anyone else have this kind of trouble brewing or happening? Guess i'll have to keep my collection limited for now and try to focus on just a few per year that i just gotta get.

Yep - I feel your pain! I read this and it is like I had written it. I think the secret is to make sure to get her coins she likes along the way, but I may be wrong...its gotten to where I am nervous now when she checks the mail....I cant remember if I have another coin coming in or not. :blink:

Edited by EyeD10T

I'm well aware of the back catalog of coins. Only wish there was a catalog of all the old coins. There are still 20 or 30 coins i know of that i want. Just haven't sat down and actually listed them all out. Been keeping an eye on e-bay to see what comes up then look for it else ware to see if i can find a better price. Finally got my hands on a couple i've been after from the start. They caused me to almost double the amount i've spent on coins so far. GOt the Ant Silver and Ant Bronze SpaceGate coins. Recently i've seen them go for over $100 each but i got them both for about $83. Didn't mean to get both. But i hedged my bet and bid on them both. Then when the silver one went over my $40 bid i bumped it up to $51 for the win. Paid $32 for the bronze.

The first coin i got was one for the wife as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. So that helped to keep things on the up and up. The eye rolling is getting more intense with each new coin that comes in.

Edited by mpilchfamily

"The eye rolling is getting more intense with each new coin that comes in."

:lol: Ain't that the truth! Wait till you start hiding the bubble envelopes...and saying "What, THAT one? Nah...that's an old one"....

It's a terrible, wonderful addiction and the only cure (and it's only temporary mind you) is to go caching!

I bought my first coin last April and my collection is now close to 50 coins but will be closer to 60 in the next few days :unsure:

Recently I've been trying to cut down the number I buy (at least limit myself to just one or two a month) but there are just too many nice coins!

I bought my first coin last April and my collection is now close to 50 coins but will be closer to 60 in the next few days :unsure:

Recently I've been trying to cut down the number I buy (at least limit myself to just one or two a month) but there are just too many nice coins!

Which in your collection is your favorite? I'm trying to wrap my head around what kinds of geocoins are out there!

Yep - I feel your pain! I read this and it is like I had written it. I think the secret is to make sure to get her coins she likes along the way, but I may be wrong...its gotten to where I am nervous now when she checks the mail....I cant remember if I have another coin coming in or not. :blink:

Same here...I actually got a GPS for my wife for christmas as she wanted to start Geocaching as a hobby,....she enjoys it, but it is me who got bit hard by the bug... the past month we have been under 2 feet of snow, but that hasn't stopped me.. found 50 caches so far in the snow.. on our 2nd found cache we found a Geocoin...and that changed everything... if I am not caching,...i am on the net,...looking for coins!.... and I have yet to see a coin I didn't like and wanted! :D

I've always loved coins, since I was a kid I collected any kind of coin I could get my hands on! Naturally geocoins are really grabbing my attention. Can anyone tell me how a particular geocoin becomes a "hot item" and so popular? I have a lot to learn!

Different Geocoins are hot items for different people. Something you think is a must have may be one that others don't care for. But thats the apeal of Geocoins. There wide range of designs, subject matter, colors, sizes, shapes and finishes make them desirable among a large verity of people. Not to mention the limited numbers that most of them are produced in.

I've latched onto the Space Gate Geocoins. I have both the bronze and antique silver versions but would love to get my hands on the polished silver and black nickle versions. But there where only 75 of each minted. So they are hard to come by. Just before i got my 2 i was watching them go for upwards of $100 on ebay. Possibly to new collectors like my self who discovered them. So they where a hot item for a bit till we all had ours. I spent about $40 on each but find them on ebay now for a buy it now price of about $25.

Another one of my favorite coins is the one in my avatar pic. I like that it has cutouts. The skull and cross bones fits well on the gold finish and it has a nicely colored compass rose on the back. Well they are colored to match the Geocaching logo. I also like my 2010 compass Rose. The color combo on the front isn't really the one i liked but the color combo on the back map is perfect.

We found our first coin as a FTF gift and didn't really know what we had. After a little digging my 8 year old and I are both hooked. He has almost as many coins as I do. Also my "addiction" has led to me joining both of the coin clubs so that I can get the great coins they send out every month. Crazyness I know! :rolleyes:

Which in your collection is your favorite? I'm trying to wrap my head around what kinds of geocoins are out there!

From the ones I can remember just now I think my favourite is probably the first coin I bought - Crakes' Tracking Time Geocoin.

I quite like the ancient/tribal themed coins, but really I like any interesting design or something that catches my eye.