Calling all Puzzle cachers! (Beta test difficult puzzle)

rawkhopper

Would anyone like to beta test a puzzle cache for me? I got this a really fun idea for a puzzle. I feel like with no hints it is very, very difficult. With a hint it may be too easy. I love puzzles but I realize I am not the best at puzzles so I am afraid of making it too easy or too hard. After all I do want people to find it.

I was planning on setting the difficulty to 5 as special knowledge and "equipment" will likely be necessary. Since this is my first cache (I was waiting for a memorable one) I really want some feedback. Problem is I really don't want to broadcast it either.

So if there are any takers on this puzzle I would be glad to send you the preliminary info to see if you can solve it. If no one can in a short period of time I will send out a hint.

PM me or sign up here and I will PM you.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

If this works I have a series I will be creating that will each require a skill that I have interest in.

Would anyone like to beta test a puzzle cache for me? I got this a really fun idea for a puzzle. I feel like with no hints it is very, very difficult. With a hint it may be too easy. I love puzzles but I realize I am not the best at puzzles so I am afraid of making it too easy or too hard. After all I do want people to find it.

I was planning on setting the difficulty to 5 as special knowledge and "equipment" will likely be necessary. Since this is my first cache (I was waiting for a memorable one) I really want some feedback. Problem is I really don't want to broadcast it either.

So if there are any takers on this puzzle I would be glad to send you the preliminary info to see if you can solve it. If no one can in a short period of time I will send out a hint.

If this works I have a series I will be creating that will each require a skill that I have interest in.

I'm not that good at puzzles, but I'll give it a go. PM away penguin dude, PM away.

I'd be glad to try. There are some good puzzle solvers around here whose help I could enlist. Glad to see you are making sure it can be solved before you put it out. We don't need more useless caches no one ever finds. Anyone can do that but what's the point? I look forward to hearing from you.

First, +1 for puzzle cache beta testing. I've worked on quite a few recently published puzzle caches and discovered problems with the puzzle itself (rarely has it prevented a solution though).

I can take a look yours as well. I bet addisonbr could probably give it a good review as I know they've solved some really difficult puzzles in the Puzzle Masters Challenge series.

As far as the D5 rating goes, I've found quite a few puzzle caches that are overrated, simply because a CO hasn't actually solved many puzzles that are rated 4 stars or higher. I've done 5 star difficulty puzzles that have taken well over a month to solve and others that could be solved in an hour or so. If you haven't solved a lot of high difficulty puzzles one thing you could do is search some different areas outside your local area for 5* puzzle caches, then contact someone that has found it from the logs to see if they're willing to take a look at your puzzle.

First, +1 for puzzle cache beta testing. I've worked on quite a few recently published puzzle caches and discovered problems with the puzzle itself (rarely has it prevented a solution though).

I can take a look yours as well. I bet addisonbr could probably give it a good review as I know they've solved some really difficult puzzles in the Puzzle Masters Challenge series.

As far as the D5 rating goes, I've found quite a few puzzle caches that are overrated, simply because a CO hasn't actually solved many puzzles that are rated 4 stars or higher. I've done 5 star difficulty puzzles that have taken well over a month to solve and others that could be solved in an hour or so. If you haven't solved a lot of high difficulty puzzles one thing you could do is search some different areas outside your local area for 5* puzzle caches, then contact someone that has found it from the logs to see if they're willing to take a look at your puzzle.

Well I have not done any difficulty 4 or 5 rated puzzles and do not consider myself the best puzzle solver. This idea fell in my lap and that is why I am beta testing it. I want to make sure it is solvable and has the right rating on it.

I forgot to give you guys some fake coordinates. I tried to send it to those that are testing but I am sure I missed a couple. So here are the Parking coordinates for the cache that are within a mile of the location.

It is funny that I forgot to include that because I am sure I would have never solved a single puzzle without the fakes :D

Anyway here are the parking coordinates:

N 38° 40.490 W 077° 10.034

Oh and anyone watching this thread that is helping me test this puzzle. Please ask questions before you give up because I am constantly second guessing whether or not I am giving enough info to get it. You are not a failure if you don't get it and ask for a hint. It may be my fault and so any feedback is useful.

This is my attempt to make sure that my caches are of a quality that make people feel like it was worth the effort they gave to it and something for people to enjoy.

You may even wish to critique my writing skills or lack thereof. Any feedback you give will surely make this a better cache.

This really is me reaching out to make a quality cache.

So thanks to all who are participating.

If you want to give status updates on your progress that would be fun too just to see what you have tried that did not work may also help to make this a more pleasurable experience for all.

just try to keep the important stuff in PM so I don't ruin it for future cachers.

Edited by jameyp

I forgot to give you guys some fake coordinates. I tried to send it to those that are testing but I am sure I missed a couple. So here are the Parking coordinates for the cache that are within a mile of the location.

It is funny that I forgot to include that because I am sure I would have never solved a single puzzle without the fakes :D

Anyway here are the parking coordinates:

N 38° 40.490 W 077° 10.034

fakes are important because you can use the puzzle listing guidelines against the puzzle meaning you can deduce what 8 to 9 of the 14 or 15 numbers are.

Send it to Fizzymagic. If he has a hard time with it, then its a 5

Heh. Thanks for the recommendation, briansnat. I hope that means I am in the running for the coveted "puzzle cacher of the year" award next year. :rolleyes:

I did look at it. It's a nice puzzle. Not a 5 star, though. Depending on where you live, I'd give it between 3.5 and 4 stars. An original take on something I have seen before, and well done.

I solved this one in about an hour a few days ago, before the fake coords were posted. Nice puzzle! I really enjoyed solving it, and definitely look forward to making a long drive to find it some day. Also let a puzzle fan friend know about this thread.

I did end up with one wrong digit in my solution, which the CO-to-be pointed out, and I then figured out my error. Coord checkers are handy for that reason. Definitely have to be careful and not rush the solution process on some types of puzzles.

I am reminded of a 5/5 I did, where the final stage (of dozens!) of the puzzle ended up with two separate possible solutions, depending which variant of a certain unit of measure was used. I couldn't figure out why the coord checker kept saying it was wrong, when we double- and triple-checked our solution. The two solutions ended up being some distance apart, both close to nice trails, and both with the same type of feature described in the puzzle, and the CO had no idea that there was more than one possible result! There is another aspect which makes it all the more unlikely for that to have occurred, but I don't want to give away too much. :rolleyes:

I did look at it. It's a nice puzzle. Not a 5 star, though. Depending on where you live, I'd give it between 3.5 and 4 stars. An original take on something I have seen before, and well done.

I told the OP in a PM that I thought 4 to 4.5, comparing it to the ratings of the other puzzles I've done so far. To some extent it will depend on how much (if any) of a hint ends up being given. It could be pretty rough for someone without the background that some of us have and without a hint...

Well, event with a hint I still cant figure this one out....I havent really been able to get into the swing of the puzzle caches, so this doesnt mean much more than confirmation that puzzle caches are not my forte! :rolleyes:

I do like the concept and think its a great idea, though - I think that those that have figured out the way puzzle caches work will enjoy this one. I have mentioned this one to another cacher that loves puzzles, so they may be able to offer a bit more input.

Let us know when its published - id like to watch this one get found. :lol:

Thanks to everyone that has worked on this puzzle so far with me. Congrats to n0k1a for being the first to send me a solution. And I believe since one person said 3.5-4 difficulty rating and another said 4.0-4.5 I decided on a difficulty of 4.0.

Thanks for testing the puzzle and let me know if there is anything you would add or take away to enhance the cacher experience.

I am adding some finishing touches to make the cache look cool and hope to submit it for review before years end.

I'm pretty sure I have it done... waiting for confirmation.

I'm also considering a rating... on the puzzle part, fairly high... for the average joe...

plus it takes some tech knowledge and a means to implement it... however it isn't the hardest puzzle I've tried.

Doug 7rxc... fun anyways.

Well, event with a hint I still cant figure this one out....I havent really been able to get into the swing of the puzzle caches, so this doesnt mean much more than confirmation that puzzle caches are not my forte! :anicute:

I do like the concept and think its a great idea, though - I think that those that have figured out the way puzzle caches work will enjoy this one. I have mentioned this one to another cacher that loves puzzles, so they may be able to offer a bit more input.

Let us know when its published - id like to watch this one get found. :)

Puzzles are an aquired taste... particularly if you like 'red herring'.

Said it many times... one of the best puzzle skills is to be able to back away from a line of thought, to start over fresh. To many continue on dead ends... of course sometimes that is the way to go, down the dead end. Most often it is not.

Keep trying it! I was seeing it correctly but had trouble executing it with what I had available.

Doug 7rxc

I'm pretty sure I have it done... waiting for confirmation.

I'm also considering a rating... on the puzzle part, fairly high... for the average joe...

plus it takes some tech knowledge and a means to implement it... however it isn't the hardest puzzle I've tried.

Doug 7rxc... fun anyways.

You got it. I think you took the long way around but you got it.

It has finally been published. So if any of you beta testers want to come and snag it you are welcome to do so. You will have to rework the puzzle as the final coordinates have changed due to park permission.

http://coord.info/GC2J144

The presentation of the puzzle has changed but it is still intact. If this turns out to be a good puzzle it is directly due to the feedback I got from you guys so thanks for your help!

Glad to hear it is up and running... May rework the answer, IF I find time.

It was fun to do, glad to have helped.

Edit: Reworked it a bit earlier, another success... looks like it will go well...

have fun all...

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc