Travel Bug life length

Polgara

I really think that it depends on several factors. For instance, if you attach $100 to the tag, you can almost be assured that you'll never see that Benjamin again. Also it really depends, on the competence of the general public, which sometimes is questionable. Not many people would intentionally lose your bug in their house, but it happens. I would suggest getting the 4-pack. Then you would have a better chance of seeing some of them see the world.

What I did is buy the 4-pack and give one each to my brother and father. We are racing them accross the country. Turns out mine is still at the starting line and theirs are either on the west coast or on their way. Maybe my Blue man will catch up....

kc

row, row, row your boat

It all depends.

Of my 13 bugs on the loose (my first was launched last August):

1 lasted about 1 month then was stolen along with the cache it was in

1 was taken from it's first cache and never seen again

1 lasted 3 months and then was lost by the person who took it

1 lasted a few weeks then was taken by someone who hasn't even logged on to geocaching.com in 4 months

The other 9 seem to be doing okay (actually that should be 8 as one has accomplished it's goal and is back in my possession).

So... you really can't say. A bug can last years or it can have a lifespan of 1 day.

I'd definately get a few and try not to have your hopes to high.

Even with ~30% of my bugs missing I'm still enjoying the ones that are still active.

[This message was edited by Egnix on April 03, 2003 at 08:44 AM.]

I had a travel bug that I placed in Canada on a visit to my folks in Calgary. The next day it was picked up by the owner of the cache and taken to Mazatlan in Mexico. It logged a bunch of miles, but then nothing for almost a year. Suddenly I got an email saying it had been picked up and is now sitting in a cache in Washington State.

About the same thing happened to another travel bug I put out here in Utah. It disappeared for about 6 months only to suddenly show up on the radar again.

It's been kind of fun, but once I put the bug out, I figure it's a goner and hope for the best. So far so good.

WJJagFan

I have 5 bugs out there. One is a personal bug, one is still going after a year but seems to move very very slowly, this one went missing after one move, so I re-started it with the copy tag, then it went missing after the second move. This one was picked up and apparently kept by the first person to get it.

This one is my best performer. It has moved 11 times in 13 months, and is not all that far away from reaching it's goal, which was to follow me across the country after I moved. I'm knocking on wood now because I've probably jinxed it. icon_wink.gif

I set off my first Travel bug about 3 weeks ago. Someone logged that they removed it from the cache it was in. The next day they re-edited their cache visit log to remove any word of taking it. On that same day they became proud owners of a 'new' travel bug. Bah! I'm sure they took mine and renamed it icon_mad.gif . Pretty blatant action. Their 'new' bug shows that it was recently taken from the cache where mine was sitting, even though it was never entered INTO that cache. The first few times I clicked on the new bug name, I got a message in Red text that said it was an invalid number, but now the number works, I don't know how they pulled off this caper but it's sad that geocachers do this to each other. In the 3 weeks before it was stolen, it had only gone 9 miles. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WJJagFan:

It's been kind of fun, but once I put the bug out, I figure it's a goner and hope for the best. So far so good.

I need to remember this from time to time. This is sage advise when dealing with Travel Bugs. icon_wink.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.