A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Cache Game

I'm up for placing a New Mexico wormhole, but I'm placing "The Library at the End of the Universe" first.

If you don't get around to it, I'm sure that my other sister (JusMeLP) in Santa Fe will eventually. We almost did in August, but the container melted in my car. (Probably while I was still in Laughlin.) No rush.

Sn :lol::huh: gans

BTW Sax, she could use some encouragement to get started. She really enjoyed our event.

I'm up for placing a New Mexico wormhole, but I'm placing "The Library at the End of the Universe" first.

If you don't get around to it, I'm sure that my other sister (JusMeLP) in Santa Fe will eventually. We almost did in August, but the container melted in my car. (Probably while I was still in Laughlin.) No rush.

Sn :lol::huh: gans

BTW Sax, she could use some encouragement to get started. She really enjoyed our event.

There aren't any caches in Santa Fe. Send her down here to Albuquerque, I'll motivate her!

:lol: I'm in for a pennsylvania Wormhole, started work on it already. When I place it I am going to do the Pan Galctic Gargle Blaster TB, trying to find something small enough that would resemble the drink. Any ideas?

BTW keep posting any new enties(Caches and Bugs) so I can put them on my webpage for easy access

Edited by programmer64
:lol: I'm in for a pennsylvania Wormhole, started work on it already. When I place it I am going to do the Pan Galctic Gargle Blaster TB, trying to find something small enough that would resemble the drink. Any ideas?

BTW keep posting any new enties(Caches and Bugs) so I can put them on my webpage for easy access

Koooooooooool! That would be Wormhole #3.

(Now, I can't stop thinking about about that old Lucky Luke (Terrence Hill) Western, Waterhole #3, for some reason.)

:huh: I'm in for a pennsylvania Wormhole, started work on it already.

I am already in PA ... but go ahead with yours, programmer64.

I'll defer. :lol:

There's no rules here. If you are a goodish drive apart, why not both do one? They don't hafta be identical.....

I'm into a game called Halo. There's already a cache bearing a name that I had planned to use. So, that other cache is a 4 hour drive away. I don't have a problem with it.

This would take quite a bit of work on my part, but it's still in the planning stages (I'm going stir crazy with all this snow)

At Presque Isle, in Northwestern Pennsylvania, there is a lord of the rings multicache. Basically the caches are located in one trail system. At each cache, there is a multiple choice question about the book, each with coresponding coordinates, only one is the right answer, and the right answer gives you the coordinates to the next cache, otherwise, you're sent on a wild goose chase.

So basically, the idea would be to place a cache with a question something like this, with one coordinate set leading to the next cache, and all the others into nowhere....

What is the name of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"

A. Milkyways (wrong coordinate set)

B. The End (wrong coordinate set)

C. Milliways (correct coordinate set)

D. McDonalds (wrong coordinate set)

And so to make it to the last cache, (presumably three or four stages later, you'd have to have a a fairly good knowledge of the book. This would probably end up being maybe a 2 for terrain and 5 for difficulty since you need special knowledge...

So what do you guys think?

Just for reference, here's the cache page for the LOTR cache similar to the one I'm planning for THHGTTG

click here

According to dictionary.com, a concordance is:

An alphabetical verbal index showing the places in the text of a book where each principal word may be found, with its immediate context in each place.

So, the next time I looked up "Slartibartfast" in a concordance, it would tell me exactly (chapter and verse, as it were) all the places where that word appears.

Edited by MissJenn

Well since there are several duplicate HHGTTG caches out there (in name, at least) and I need a good title for my planned Rio Grande cache, I've decided to call it "Salmon of Doubt".

I'll give you the rough idea here, it still won't help you find it :unsure:

There are very few bridges connecting the east and west sides of Albuquerque across the Rio Grande River. One of those has "lookout points" on it. They consist of benches sort of leaning over the edge of the bridge (they are screened in with railings and such, so it isn't dangerous). The closest place to park is nearly a half-mile away (the bridge is pretty long). I would place a set of coordinates on one of these lookout points (cleverly disguised urban-micro, of course). I would also place a set of coordinates under the bridge in another, cleverly disguised, container. Whether the cacher chooses the top or bottom of the bridge, they will have at least a half-mile walk to get to the first stage. The lower level, being a river and all, will require them to get wet. There are sandbars in the river, but they are not close enough to the bank that you could jump. The coordinates on each micro would be different. One set would lead them up the river about a mile (still well south of the next bridge, which I think is 2 miles north of the first) and the other set would lead them down the river. Both 2nd stage caches would be on sandbars in the middle of the river. Both would be cleverly-disguised containers that blend in with the limited vegetation there (and tied down somehow as well as water-proof). The incorrect 2nd stage cache would tell the cacher to go back to the bridge and change their elevation. The correct 2nd stage cache would lead them to the final cache, probably on yet another sandbar.

1/2 mile to the bridge, 1 mile to the 2nd stage, 1/2 mile to the final stage, 2 miles back to the car equals 4 miles. If you take the incorrect stage, add 2 miles roundtrip to the wrong sandbar. Add in swimming or wading in the water and I think this would be a 4-star terrain rating.

It would also take 1/2 day to walk, swim, etc, in addition to locating each stage, so I was thinking 3-4 stars for difficulty.

Opinions and comments are welcome here. No one in my area really reads these forums, and even then it wouldn't tell them which way is correct. They would still have to travel 4 miles on foot if they guess correctly and I'm not telling what the containers will be. I hope to place this in the late spring timeframe (when the river is high and I can make sure the sandbars don't completely submerge)

edit: spelling

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
I think it's a great idea, but I'd give the terrain a definate 5...

I mean, I know the definition of five is special equipment, but swimming across a river to a sandbar is kind of 5ish, if you know what I mean...

That's why I gave my Row versus Wade cache a 5 for terrain. Heavy rain upstream can cause a flash flood.

Sn ;):( gans

:D

Team GPSaxophone wrote:

Well since there are several duplicate HHGTTG caches out there (in name, at least) and I need a good title for my planned Rio Grande cache, I've decided to call it "Salmon of Doubt".

I'll give you the rough idea here, it still won't help you find it

I may have to come on down and try thay cache!

<_<

Team GPSaxophone wrote:

I'll give you the rough idea here, it still won't help you find it

I may have to come on down and try thay cache!

Expect it to be placed in late spring or early summer :blink:

Amazing the HHGTTG themes found through life. Last year I made my race car #42, put the logo on the grill so people could see me coming in their rearview mirror, and a big "DON'T PANIC" on the steering wheel.

Funny thing is the typical NASCAR type crowd didn't get it. Only one person asked about the #42.

God, I'm a nerd who geocaches.

Amazing the HHGTTG themes found through life. Last year I made my race car #42, put the logo on the grill so people could see me coming in their rearview mirror, and a big "DON'T PANIC" on the steering wheel.

Funny thing is the typical NASCAR type crowd didn't get it. Only one person asked about the #42.

God, I'm a nerd who geocaches.

Not knockig NASCAR, (Gordon Fan here AND PROUD OF IT!) but the majority of that crowd doesn't read much of anything that you can't find on a magazine rack.

Back on topic:

I started getting spare D.A. and other SF books together to start my Megadodo Publications (Bookcrossing Hybrid) cache. I don't know when I'll have time to find a place to hide it.

My Zaphod tb needs some tweaking before I'm ready to hide The Total Perspective Vortex.

A network is slowly forming......

Sn <_<:D gans

:P I just came back from blockbuster video in Aston, Pa. Where in my travels through the isles looking for video readings of Vogon poetry I came across the BBC production of "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" the whole six part tv series which I am now fully indulging in. It is giving me some good ideas for more caches in the theme. By the way tommorow or Sataurday I'll be placing a hitchhiker cache. I'll post here,and on my THHGTTG page as soon as it is approved.
Earlier in the thread,  MissJenn remarked that she had never heard the radio series.  That is a deprivation which should not be allowed to stand, so MissJenn, keep an eye out for TB Don't Panic. It’s somewhere in Texas right now, just having been checked into a series of HHG themed caches there. Perhaps an appropriate new cache in PA might attract the TB to MissJenn’s area.

I kept an eye out and now my ears have fallen upon good fortune: The TB has successfully found me!

:):):):P

Maybe you could give the travel bug a push in my direction, central Iowa. Possibly to my new THHGTTG Cache BY-PASS, which was just approved today. I've got all five books of the series in MP3 format read by Douglas Adams himself, approx 6hrs each. I just started rereading them last week while I drive to work. Half the time I dont remember the three stop signs along the way.

To make it easier for us fans of the series to search for H2G2 themed caches we could use the "H2G2" prefix in the cache name. A keyword search on H2G2 would return caches with this prefix.  :ph34r:

For example, my lastest unfinished cache project is called "H2G2 - Infinite Improbability Drive".

:ph34r: Or you could just post them here and I'll add them to my THHGTTG page,making finding them alot easier. I do include links to the cache pages so everyone can see where they are,I also list the waypoint name and state that each cache is in. With Travel Bugs I include a link to the Bug's homepage. If anyone wants any other relevant info listed just ask,I'll be glad to take care of it. I'm thinking about a "Placed by" column, with a link to the hider's user info page. What does everyone think? By the way It makes it alot easier for me to add all the new cache's and bugs if I don't have to search 50 different key words everyday. Just put the link here or email me.

Edited by programmer64

I think both your web page and the inclusion of the H2G2 characters in the cache name would be an excellent, and very Golgafrinchian, thing to do.

We could also include a link to your web page in our cache code.

Maybe the "Don't Panic" green smiley guy could be the image that we include on our pages that would link to the P64 page.

Don't bother me, I'm busy stuffing leaves in my pants. :ph34r:

I think both your web page and the inclusion of the H2G2 characters in the cache name would be an excellent, and very Golgafrinchian, thing to do.

We could also include a link to your web page in our cache code.

Maybe the "Don't Panic" green smiley guy could be the image that we include on our pages that would link to the P64 page.

Don't bother me, I'm busy stuffing leaves in my pants. :lol:

:lol: That sounds great to me, I am getting ready to release a couple of bugs. I'll be sure to include the prefix for searchability.

To make it easier for us fans of the series to search for H2G2 themed caches we could use the "H2G2" prefix in the cache name. A keyword search on H2G2 would return caches with this prefix.  :unsure:

For example, my lastest unfinished cache project is called "H2G2 - Infinite Improbability Drive".

H2G2 in the cache name AND travel bug names

P.S.

wassup with http://www.douglasadams.com/ ? I hope it's just temporary.

Can't get in at all today (or yesterday).