I'm losing intrest in souvi's.

Coldgears

I had completely lost interest, but this thread got my curiosity up this morning. I checked, and I now have the PA souvi in addition to the 10/10/10 pixels, so my interest level is now up to 0.001%.

By the way, this would seem to support the theory that these (the U.S. souvis) are being retroactively applied based on order of statehood.

Just simple question. Can you get souvenir after logging virtual cache? I am asking, because if yes, we can expect a lot of bogus logs on them. Something similar has already happened in case of Original Stash Tribute cache.

It shouldn't matter what kind of cache it is for a souvenir. A find is a find. As sBell mentioned, GS put a fix in to remove a souvenir upon deletion of a find log, though I don't know if it's been implemented. Hopefully, they considered cases where one inadvertently logged duplicate finds (or attended in the case of an event) and wouldn't remove the souvenir if there was still at least one find within the souvenir zone intact.

IMHO, how prone a cache is to bogus logs isn't related to the cache type as much as it is how well it's maintained. There is nothing stopping those that logged the Original Stash or a virtual cache from logging a traditional in the same area. If the CO doesn't validate that the logger actually visited the cache (either by looking at the physical log or whatever criteria is used for a virtual cache) the find is going to remain in place.

Just simple question. Can you get souvenir after logging virtual cache? I am asking, because if yes, we can expect a lot of bogus logs on them. Something similar has already happened in case of Original Stash Tribute cache.

if implemented correctly, then the souvenir would be retracted once the found log was deleted. i don't know if that's actually happening yet though.

I'm not sure if it has taken effect yet, but Jeremy said that if logs are deleted, any souvenirs gained from logging said cache will be deleted too. He also said people will have the ability to hide their souvenirs if they wish too.

Personally I think they're kind of cool. Gives me encouragement to go caching somewhere I might not have otherwise.

I guess I am ok with the souvi's - some people will like them more than others. Just like some folks are really into collecting geocoins and others aren't. Since they are on their own tab, those who dislike them, can just ignore them. But I will say, even though I have an iPhone, I don't think souvi's should be awarded for simply using the app. They should be awarded for actual finds. IMHO.

Edited by jomouse

I had completely lost interest, but this thread got my curiosity up this morning. I checked, and I now have the PA souvi in addition to the 10/10/10 pixels, so my interest level is now up to 0.001%.

By the way, this would seem to support the theory that these (the U.S. souvis) are being retroactively applied based on order of statehood.

It's hard to tell if they're following the same pattern for Germany. Both Baden-Wurttemberg and Bayern (Bavaria) became states (called Länders in Germany) in 1949 (along with a few others) but they're also the first two alphabetically. If GS adds other German Länders in the order they became part of the FRG I ought to get the one for "Hesse" soon as it also became part of the FRG in 1949. It would be my first legimate international souvenir.

By the way, when I searched for this I discovered a site called "statoids" that has some fairly comprehensive information about administrative regions in the world. It's based on a book called ""Administrative Subdivisions of Countries", by Gwillim Law (McFarland & Company, Jefferson, North Carolina) ". It might be a useful resource for GS as they start adding more country/region souvenirs.

U.S. state souvenirs are being released (and retroactively granted) in order of statehood. Hopefully this will keep your interest level rising!

I really had no interest, and no angst, but then I noticed a few of the state icons showing up and now I think the artwork and the info about the states is pretty cool. I wondered about the numbers on the icons as mine are 1, 2, and 3. It certainly was not the order in which I found caches in the states, but now it makes sense that it's the order of the states themselves.

I am getting great enjoyment out of this thread, laughing at the folks who, 1) are outraged that icons are not appearing in their profile :) 2) are outraged that icons ARE appearing on their profile :) 3) are determined to make icon collecting a competition B) and 4) want to be sure everyone knows that they are not interested in icons. :)

I really had no interest, and no angst, but then I noticed a few of the state icons showing up and now I think the artwork and the info about the states is pretty cool. I wondered about the numbers on the icons as mine are 1, 2, and 3. It certainly was not the order in which I found caches in the states, but now it makes sense that it's the order of the states themselves.

I am getting great enjoyment out of this thread, laughing at the folks who, 1) are outraged that icons are not appearing in their profile :) 2) are outraged that icons ARE appearing on their profile :) 3) are determined to make icon collecting a competition B) and 4) want to be sure everyone knows that they are not interested in icons. :)

Hmmm. I don't seem to fall into any of those categories.

Well, I've seen a few profiles with souvenirs, and I'm interested. B) Can't wait to get those Ontario and Manitoba souvenirs in our profile.

Will we have to wait until all of the U.S. states and all of Germany get souvenirs created before we see ones for Canada?

Just wondering....why was Germany chosen to be in the initial roll-out ahead of other countries?

I am getting great enjoyment out of this thread, laughing at the folks who, 1) are outraged that icons are not appearing in their profile :o 2) are outraged that icons ARE appearing on their profile :( 3) are determined to make icon collecting a competition :unsure: and 4) want to be sure everyone knows that they are not interested in icons. :D

You forgot people that get mad that their own personal list of priorities for features is not being followed by a privately owned company in a timely fashion.

See Also: "We all asked for ponies and all we got were these souvenirs."

Edited by Castle Mischief
Just wondering....why was Germany chosen to be in the initial roll-out ahead of other countries?

probably because their screwup shortly before the site update awarded one of the germany souvenirs to half the cachers in the world.

Ummm, you know about the glitch because they were retroactively giving souvis for finds in Delaware and Baden-Whateverburg.

The glitch wasn't that everyone suddenly received BW souvis. The glitch was that everyone received BW souvis instead of just those who had found caches there.

Ummm, you know about the glitch because they were retroactively giving souvis for finds in Delaware and Baden-Whateverburg.

The glitch wasn't that everyone suddenly received BW souvis. The glitch was that everyone received BW souvis instead of just those who had found caches there.

no, that happened before the site update, before they started retroactively awarding the souvenirs. the DE souvenir was given to anybody who logged a cache on the website, any cache, anywhere. the b-w souvenir was given to anybody who used the Groundspeak app on that day, anywhere. i'm sure it was related to them getting the souvenirs ready to roll out, but they hadn't actually started doing so at that point.

U.S. state souvenirs are being released (and retroactively granted) in order of statehood. Hopefully this will keep your interest level rising!

Yup, I got 2 of the first 3. Never been to number one. :D Now what remains to be seen is whether it will take days to realease all 50 States, or they will try to increase interest by taking months. Only time will tell, I suppose. Or the answer might be out there somewhere, but I didnt see it buried in all the active souvenir thread. :unsure:

Germany has a *lot* of active cachers.

That combined with the fact that it has 16 clearly defined administrative regions makes it a good candidate, though there are certain many other countries that are divided up into states, provinces, regions, etc.

I am getting great enjoyment out of this thread, laughing at the folks who, 1) are outraged that icons are not appearing in their profile :o 2) are outraged that icons ARE appearing on their profile :( 3) are determined to make icon collecting a competition :unsure: and 4) want to be sure everyone knows that they are not interested in icons. :D

Hmmm. I don't seem to fall into any of those categories.

I always enjoy yo9ur posts anyway, so you don't need to be in a category ;)