How do you select a GPS for a Boy Scout?

breeset

I am looking for a GPSr for a 12 year old Boy Scout. It will be used for Geocaching and hiking/camping. The price range is low $200 if possible. I tried looking at the FAQ but it seemed to be more comparisons then guide lines to find a GPSr. Any suggestion would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

go to the garmin website and get familiar with the etrex line of GPSrs and find one with a high sensitivity receiver. Look for a used one like the yellow basic model - try to get it used for about 50 bucks. They are light and reliable.

Maybe something like the venture HC (Still under $200 new and probably less if you can find one used) or even something with an "x" in the name which would mean it takes an SD card that should allow you to load some free maps pretty easily.

I suggest looking for a unit (regardless of brand) that has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. These are really useful features for hiking. Also, a unit (again, regardless of brand) which allows the use of high quality (24k) topo maps. IMHO, a hiking GPSr without maps is of limited use.

I suggest looking for a unit (regardless of brand) that has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. These are really useful features for hiking. Also, a unit (again, regardless of brand) which allows the use of high quality (24k) topo maps. IMHO, a hiking GPSr without maps is of limited use.

And they're all completely useless with dead batteries, or poor reception.

Don't spend the money right now on the electronic compass; he should already have a magnetic one. Likewise, don't spend the money on additional maps; he should be carrying a paper topo anyway to use with the magnetic compass.

A relatively inexpensive unit like the eTrex should be plenty for Boy Scout use right now.

And they're all completely useless with dead batteries, or poor reception.

Don't spend the money right now on the electronic compass; he should already have a magnetic one. Likewise, don't spend the money on additional maps; he should be carrying a paper topo anyway to use with the magnetic compass.

A relatively inexpensive unit like the eTrex should be plenty for Boy Scout use right now.

+1 Let him get familiar with recording tracks and waypoints and saving them to the computer. It will also let him get experience plotting the coordinates from the GPS onto the paper topo which is a skill that is not easy to practice in a practical sense otherwise (sure, you can just have him plot lists of random coordinates or geocaches, but it'll mean more if he's plotting his CURRENT location on that map).

We purchased a Garmin Etrex Venture HC for a first-year, 11 yo scout earlier this year. That unit works great for geocaching! Very sensitive under tree cover, and this scout can deftly use this unit to find geocaches. I figured that it is best to purchase a lower-cost mapping model, as the unit might receive rough treatment from young hands. At least it will not be handled with care as I use mine. And we are not going to have to load many maps, so no need for the HCx model. When we do have to change maps, we'll just connect it to a PC and upload new maps via MapSource.

The scout is going to use this unit during a camping outing in a couple weeks to demonstrate geocaching to his troop. Out of a troop of about 44 boys, only maybe 1 other has experience with geocaching.

Has he learned to use a map & compass yet?

Yes. He knows how to use a compass and a map. Thank you everyone for your help.

John

Easiest way? Let him to the legwork and pick the one he's going to like.

This will work because every hand held hiking GPS (ok limit them to those kind) will do the job. Some better than others. This isn't like getting a mountain bike where there is a lot of crap out there.

Delorme, Garmin both will do you well. So buget, short list of brands and your good to go by turning them loose.