Oregon software question?

Twiztted

I would suggest taking a look at gpsfiledepot.com to see if the free maps available there might suit your needs, if not you can purchase the Garmin 24k DVD (or download it from Garmin.com). It comes with a program called BaseCamp which can be used to upload the maps to you GPS.

You can use the route planner on the unit to plan routes between waypoints, POIs or locations on the map. You can also use a PC/Mac based tool like BaseCamp (a free download from Garmin) as well.

GO$Rs

I just got my Oregon 450t 2 days ago and I'm wondering what software do I need to put 24k maps on it?

Also how do I plan,or put, routes I would like to follow onto the gps prior to "being" there.

Doesn't the Oregon 450t come with 24k Topo's already on it? Actually here is the link that says it should have came with topo maps. Garmin Oregon 450t

Edited by kywaterfowler

This is spot on. Check out gpsfiledepot.com.

I would suggest taking a look at gpsfiledepot.com to see if the free maps available there might suit your needs, if not you can purchase the Garmin 24k DVD (or download it from Garmin.com). It comes with a program called BaseCamp which can be used to upload the maps to you GPS.

You can use the route planner on the unit to plan routes between waypoints, POIs or locations on the map. You can also use a PC/Mac based tool like BaseCamp (a free download from Garmin) as well.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Thanks! The filedepot was the reason I was asking. I want to try the maps they have. Just a few more questions if you dont mind.

1) Which program is easier to use Basemap or Mapsource?

2) Are the maps changeable on the fly via the GPSr

3) Are the maps at the filedepot on par with the Garmin 24K? I would rather not have to fork out another $100 if I dont have to but what are the differnces in the maps?

Thanks for your quick responses to everyone B)

By default you can only have one custom map on the GPSr at a time. It overwrites the old one when you put a new one on. On the forums here somewhere are instructions though on how to get around it. If I recall you just have to rename the old one to something different than the default and then you can turn one off and the other on. Transparent maps let you view both. I used Basemap to upload with my 450t and its user friendly.

I've no idea how the filedepot maps compare to the Garmin 24k. I was tempted to buy the Garmin maps a couple of and would have if the covered at least half the US.

1) Which program is easier to use Basemap or Mapsource?

2) Are the maps changeable on the fly via the GPSr

3) Are the maps at the filedepot on par with the Garmin 24K? I would rather not have to fork out another $100 if I dont have to but what are the differnces in the maps?

Thanks for your quick responses to everyone B)

1. I would go with BaseCamp, it has better support for the outdoor handhelds. Performance is getting better with 3.1.1 but that's been the biggest complaint with BC. BC also gets you access to BirdsEye aerial maps which Mapsource doesn't.

2. Yes. Setup>Map>Map Information Select Maps allows you to enable/disable individual map products. You can set this differently in different profiles to switch back and forth quickly between maps.

3. The biggest difference is that they don't have routable roads like Garmin 24k. Otherwise I've found the topographical data to be as good or better in my local area.

3. The biggest difference is that they don't have routable roads like Garmin 24k. Otherwise I've found the topographical data to be as good or better in my local area.

OpenStreetMap has routable maps in some areas. I use http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php to select the region and package it for me. No need for software install if you download the right package - just drag and drop it onto the GPSr.

On your Oregon 450 you can have multi maps with a different name.

The mapfile name made by mapsource or basecamp will be

gmapsupp,img, this you can rename as >>> my-own-name.img the gps will show these name so you can select what map on or off.

This is easy because you might use normally a local map and on a trip some others, so before the trip you just update a map for your needs the rest you can leave what it is.

Back to the original question - if you don't need use and display of the maps on your PC, you just take the *.img file offered to you by gpsfiledepot and slide it right over into the Garmin folder on your 450 using whatever name (and you'll want to rename it for reasons above) works so that you can remember which file is which. For example, I have 24Ks called COFRTRANGEN.img and COFRTRANGES.img (Colorado Front Range N and S) for my local ones, and have a couple of more loaded for a trip I have planned soon. All you need to do to select/deselect them on your Oregon is go to Setup>Maps and the bottom button takes you there.