My perfect gps. Does it exist?

pmolan

My perfect gps would be a combo of

1. Ipod Touch

2. Garmin Nuvi

3. Google maps

I have the PN-60 and I feel that its cumbersome. My friends have the droid and thats very close to what I want but I dont need the xtra cell phone bill.

The basic reason is... I am on my laptop scoping out caches. When I find on that I want to find, I need to export it to my PN-60. I then need to enter those coordinates into my nuvi in the car to take me there. This is basically 3 steps.

The PN-60 offers hiking/driving routing but only chirps when you need to make a turn. That screen is so dadgum small that its unsafe to look at that while driving.

Edited by pmolan

iPhone does some of that. Obviously it is more than a touch, has maps, and you can get some navigation apps. But not rugged. Your main answer, no. DeLorme's newest is pretty good from what I have heard. If you want a good GPS chipset, your sending caches from geocaching.com

I have an Oregon 450 and I have approx 4000 caches loaded on it at all times. Covers most of the area I cache in around my home. I can select a cache and then "route to it on road". The 450 will tell me when to turn ect. (no speech just beeps) It isn't as good as a nuvi but it gets the job done and you don't need an extra GPS to guide you to the cache.

Hope that helps

The PN-60 offers hiking/driving routing but only chirps when you need to make a turn. That screen is so dadgum small that its unsafe to look at that while driving.

Then buy a sub $200 wide (and touch) screen Garmin Nuvi that does talk and has free lifetime map updates for the car. Best of both worlds and many of us do that. I run a Nuvi alongside my 60CSx and it's been a perfect combination (for me) for years...

Edited by sviking

I use a combination PN60w and Nuvi. Using GSAK, I have no problems loading PQs onto both quickly. I also have a Droid Incredible with the Groundspeak app. While it's a great phone and very convenient for a quick urban cache or two, it doesn't hold a candle to the dedicated handheld and Nuvi combo for serious caching.