Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 4.00

coggins

Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.00:

Added support for Chirp™.

Fixed problem with certain custom maps.

Fixed problem with certain JPEG images.

Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go and user north reference.

Fixed potential hang on start up after an upgrade.

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:

Fixed issue while using spell search in route planner.

Fixed issue on 3D View where vehicle could move after using the map.

Fixed issue where tracks could not be disabled from the map.

Fixed issues with odometer distance.

Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

Edited by coggins

field test successful. can't say i noticed something different.

i did noticed though that with this firmware version and at least the previous version too, the WAAS lock sometimes disappears. and i mean completely disappears: gone and doesn't get it back. once i restart the unit, i get it back immediately. confirmed this on several occasions.

Edited by dfx
i did noticed though that with this firmware version and at least the previous version too, the WAAS lock sometimes disappears. and i mean completely disappears: gone and doesn't get it back. once i restart the unit, i get it back immediately. confirmed this on several occasions.
Didn't see that today. When you looked, did you still have one of the WAAS birds showing when it refused to re-lock? Do you think you lost signal from both of them, or just couldn't get the data successfully?
Didn't see that today. When you looked, did you still have one of the WAAS birds showing when it refused to re-lock? Do you think you lost signal from both of them, or just couldn't get the data successfully?

it happens consistently after the unit has been running for some time, 30-60 minutes or so i'd say. i still see the waas sats listed, but don't get any data from them. it's cycling between 51 and 46 and never gets any data from any of them. i turn the unit off and back on and immediately get data from one of them. it then retains the waas lock (and is able to reaquire it if lost) until the next time it screws up.

switching the gps mode to normal and then back to waas without turning the oregon off doesn't fix it.

Edited by dfx

it happens consistently after the unit has been running for some time, 30-60 minutes or so i'd say. i still see the waas sats listed, but don't get any data from them. it's cycling between 51 and 46 and never gets any data from any of them. i turn the unit off and back on and immediately get data from one of them. it then retains the waas lock (and is able to reaquire it if lost) until the next time it screws up.

switching the gps mode to normal and then back to waas without turning the oregon off doesn't fix it.

I run my Oregon 550 on normal mode out here in Hawaii and after the update, for the first time, I suddenly lost signal while sats were there?!?! Rebooted the unit and immediately got a location fix. Hope this was a one time glitch B)

I updated my Garmin Oregon 450t yday and the update worked fine. The unit finds the satelites much faster with the new version, it only takes a few seconds where it used to take 30 seconds before. Only annoying thing is in the profile menu where the unit puts up new profiles with strange letters further down in the list (did that also with older versions). I also think the compass calibration is very sensible, unless you have 100% steady slow hands the calibration will not be accepted. Otherwise it is a great gps.

Edited by orrarna

Recently purchased the Oregon 450 and had not really had an oppotunity to take it out geocaching. I downloaded the new update the other day and headed out for some caching today. I must admit that it was pretty annoying to have to scroll past the Chrip setup options to get to the Log Attempt button. Let me see, I found 22 caches today and had to scroll past ahat Chrip button every time. I dd not find one cache today that was using the Chirp device. It seems that they could have moved that option down the list if it is not having to be changed or used on a regular basis. Obviously, the Garmin guys are not geocachers.

What firmware version is your Oregon 450 running???

Could you describe, step by step, how you go about logging a "found" on your Oregon? My normal path never takes me near the Chirp setup buttons.

When I'm ready for the final find and I'm an active "Navigate to" on a cache, the menu I use is the main Geocaching menu, and it reads

Show Description

Show Logs

Show Hint

Log Attempt

Enter Next Stage

Find Another

Show Found

If I choose to use the geocaching dashboard, and press the "treasure chest" icon on that screen, it takes me to exactly the same menu above.

The ONLY way I hit the Chirp setup is from Setup>Geocaches>Program chirp

This is with the 4.00 software. Kind of annoying.

Now that's strange - given that I'm also running 4.00 and I don't know of ANY way to re-order the menu sequence. Will be interesting to see if anyone else reports your problem. What you describe should ONLY happen if you have Chirp actually enabled. Just for grins, be SURE that isn't the case.

Setup>Geocaches>"chirp Searching Off" (not On!)

Oh...now I am pretty sure I have it enabled. I figured that was kind of necessary if I did happen to run across one of these new chirp enabled devices. But I suppose that it would be easier to just turn it off when I know that I am chasing caches that are not using the new technology. It still seems weird that they woul dnot put it below Log Attempt or at the bottom of the list when it is On.