Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx it is!

Mountain Moji

I consider myself a good researcher and careful shopper, but this purchasing decision was tough!

After hours and hours and HOURS of research I finally decided on the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

It seemed like every time I made up my mind another model would catch my attention, but I think I made the right choice for my needs.

The final price from Costco was $213.00, including tax and shipping, which feels pretty good.

I have an iPhone with the Groundspeak app, and a car GPS, so I think I'll be all set for most situations.

My only concern is that I'll struggle with getting the thing to work...but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out with all the good information and help here.

Thanks to all who helped me make this decision...can't wait to get out there and use it!

:lol:

My only concern is that I'll struggle with getting the thing to work...but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out with all the good information and help here.

Hi I have also recently purchased the unit and have a HARD tiem to get it to work. I.e. just finding it in my comp when conected, because it need it it to be turned on in the unit as mass USB storage. Whaw.

Anyway, still I placed some GPX file in the unit on card, but still does not show up the Geocaches when I try to search for them :-(

I have never had a unit so difficult to use ;)

So good luck to you and me too to get it working

M

We purchased the 60CSx and are very happy with it. We also purchased City Navigator because we didn't have a GPS'r for the geomobile. We find it very simple to use. I create a PQ and open the .gpx file in GSAK. I filter the data then export it to Mapsource and export a .gpx file to be used in our PDA. If I want to hunt in a particular order I create a route in Mapsource then transfer it to the GPS'r.

Good luck, be safe and have fun...

Are you a Buffalo? I went to school at CU many, many moons ago.

Hi I have also recently purchased the unit and have a HARD tiem to get it to work. I.e. just finding it in my comp when conected, because it need it it to be turned on in the unit as mass USB storage. Whaw.

Anyway, still I placed some GPX file in the unit on card, but still does not show up the Geocaches when I try to search for them :-(

I have never had a unit so difficult to use ;)

M

I'll ignore any opinions and will only give you the technical side of it.

The 60CSx is one of the first Garmin unit to carry the microSD card. As such, it's not "native" per say. Yes, you need to plug it to the USB port, turn it on and select "USB Mass Storage" mode from the menus ("Menu" > "Menu" > "Setup" > "Interface" > "USB Mass Storage" (bottom button on screen).

Once in that mode, you can do the following:

- read/download saved tracks from the microSD card

- upload maps as a single file (only one can exist and be read at a time)

- upload tracks (not sure, as I never tried it)

The USB Mass Storage mode is mostly to access the microSD card and the saved tracks. When you're finished, disconnect the USB drive from the menus in Windows and the unit will power cycle. It's now safe to unplug.

As for dropping GPX file on the card and expecting them to be read, it's a no-no. You're just piling up some useless data on the memory card.

There are a few ways to upload waypoints/geocaches on this unit (that I know of, as there may be more):

1- upload waypoints from Mapsource

2- upload waypoints from GSAK

3- upload POIs from GSAK/POILoader (with a macro or natively in GSAK nowadays, I believe)

In the GPSr, you can define what will be a "geocache" (default is the closed treasure chest icon). Only the waypoints showing the defined icon will appear as "geocaches".

You can have a maximum of 1000 waypoints on the device at a time.

If you're choosing the POI approach, you can load unlimited number of them (I easily went up to 20,000). The downside is they're not "geocaches". To "search" for them (allow the "Found" button on the compass page), you'll need to first save the POI in waypoint when looking for it. That's easily done, but I won't go in details here as I already gave you a lot to digest.

May I suggest reading the manual first? That would give you a good starting point. There are lots of resources on the Internet about this particular unit.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Marty -

I understand your frustration and echo your concerns. I did quite a bit of reading on the forums and on the internet and vaguely understand the process to get caches loaded on the unit.

There is third party software involved, which steepens the learning curve, but it sounds like once the process is figured out, the unit runs pretty smoothly.

I have a few days before the unit arrives and I plan on learning all I can about GSAK, Mapsource, and the macros. I have never used a macro, but I am willing to learn.

Keep us posted on your progress with your new Garmin.

Good luck!

;)

It's only as hard as you want to make it...

In order to get PQ's, load and sort them with GSAK, etc, there's definitely some learning involved.

Depending on how in-depth you want to go, there's good info on these forums about how to export caches from GSAK as a GPX and then use the Garmin POI Loader to push them to the GPS as POIs.

I do it that way and love it. I'm not into puzzle caches, so I'm essentially paperless. There's codes you can use for the outputs in GSAK (they allow you to put data into the name/description/notes of the POI)

This lets you load thousands of caches on the gps, and because they're POIs they take next to no space on the memory card.

As I drive or walk, I can see the POI icons on the screen with the GC name (minus the GC) the type of cache (regular, micro, etc) and the terrain and difficulty as the name.

EX: the poi name on the screen would be something like "rz412 TR 23"

Meaning, GCRZ412 Traditional Regular Terr:2 Diff:3

If it's a cache i want to do, i select it with the coursor and that opens the details. Shows me the friendly name (most of it), the date last found, the results of the last 4 logs (Found/not found) and the hint if I choose to look at it.

After the find, i select it again, hit 'Save' and it saves as a waypoint.

i get home, pull the waypoints off the GPS and there's all the caches i found that day.

I highly recommend loading caches as POIs...just for the amount you can have. (Pretty much unlimited)

Plus it leaves your waypoints uncluttered, for fishing spots or whatever you want to have on there as non-caching waypoints.

Read, read, read.

I've got my GSAK output tweaked so it works the best (for me anyway). if you want more details, drop me an email.

my username here, at gmail dot com.

I usually get upgrade-itis with electronics and blinky lights, but I've had my 60CSx for a couple years now and have no plans to move up to a different unit yet. You'll enjoy it.

I have never put it in mass storage. I just hook it up to the computer, open Mapsource then retrieve from unit. Of course that only retrieves tracks, saved routes and the such, but that is all I need it for.

As for loading it, I use GSAK and then use the send to GPS option.

I am gonna watch this as I may learn something here. Good luck with learning to use it. Once you have it figured out you won't want anything else.

It's not hard getting waypoints into the unit. Here's simplest method, which does not require any 3rd party software.

Turn on unit and connect it via USB to your PC.

Start the MapSource program that came on the disk with your unit. You should use the option under "Help" in the menu to ensure you're using the latest version. If you're not, download & install it, and return to this point.

From the MapSource File menu, open the GPX file (I assume you already know how to request one). Alternately, you can just drag-drop the file in to the Waypoint list box.

Click the Send To Device icon (arrow pointing down to GPS unit). A dialog box will appear, and in a few seconds it should recognize your device. Click the button, and the waypoint will be sent to your GPS.

That's it. You're done. Go caching.

MANY of us use the GPSMAP60 series!

Once you get the unit, play with it a little while. Go with the basics first.

1) Turn on the unit and follow the directions to let it calibrate for the first time. Learn now to PAGE through the different screens and get familiar with them.

2) Once you are locked into some satellites and the display shows your +- location, go outside and MARK and ENTER (save) your location. Now, FIND it again. Walk around the yard and get familiar with how it works, and understand that the unit WON'T take you directly back to the point you MARKed. If you walk away, and return 10 times, you will come back to 10 different places! But, they will be clustered within about a 20 foot oval.

3) Learn how to FIND that location you MARKed, and edit the coordinates manually to the nearest geocache.

note: learn how to toggle the compass on/off (by holding the PAGE button down). I suggest you keep it OFF when walking. Understand that when you're NOT in compass mode, the arrow (or line on the map page) only shows where the cache is RELATED TO THE STRAIGHT LINE YOU ARE WALKING. If you walk in circles, who knows where it is pointing? You'll get used to this in the backyard.

If you turn the compass on, it is better to calibrate it first (simple; look up directions). I suggest you turn the compass on only when you are standing still, just to tell what general direction the cache is in, then turn it off when actually walking to the cache. Many think that the compass in the 60 series is a bit quirky, but I find it most valuable when used this way. You would think that in compass mode, the arrow would always point you toward the cache while you are walking, but for some reason, many of us have trouble navigating with the unit IN compass mode. But, see what works best for you.

4) I believe this will get you geocaching ASAP. Then, in a day or two you can play around with downloading tons of geocaches into your unit. Don't sit at your computer all day when you can be geocaching.

Take it a little at a time. And come back again with new questions.

Good luck. That is a great unit.

Edited by michigansnorkelers

That's a great price for a great unit. I have a bunch of units, both newer and older and it's still my favorite.

Not to throw more at you, but you can also use EasyGPS to load waypoints to your unit. It's free and a piece of cake to use. GSAK is far more powerful but will cost you some money and is more complicated.

For my 60CSX I use GSAK to manipulate the waypoint name so it tells me the size, type, difficulty and terrain of the cache.

I love my 60csx. It's a work horse and a rugged little unit. I cache a lot in heavy tree cover which is why I got it and it does great there. And I've dropped it and man handled it more than once.

I was overwhelmed when I got it thinking I needed GSAK etc but I don't use any of that. I tend to not put a ton of caches in my unit at once. And I read all the cache pages of the ones I go to. So either I'll manually enter the coordinates if I'm not buy a computer or plug it into the computer and just use the "send to GPS" button the cache page. Simple as that.

For my 60CSX I use GSAK to manipulate the waypoint name so it tells me the size, type, difficulty and terrain of the cache.

Briansnat,

You and Gcfishguy mention being able to do this. Is that a built in option in GSAK or is that done with an add on macro? If built in or macro, how is it done? Got a tutorial link?

Briansnat,

You and Gcfishguy mention being able to do this. Is that a built in option in GSAK or is that done with an add on macro? If built in or macro, how is it done? Got a tutorial link?

When you get to the "send waypoints" pop up you put the following tags in the waypoint name box:

%typ1%con1%drop2 %dif1a %ter1a

What this does is change the waypoint name:

Say GC12345 is a traditional micro with a difficulty of 2 and terrain of 1

GC12345 becomes TM12345 2 1

Or GC54321 is a multi small with a difficulty of 1 and terrain of 2.5

It becomes MS54321 1 B (letters replace half stars 1.5=A, 2.5=B, 3.5=C etc.)

Make sure you also have the correct number of max characters (14)

Edited by briansnat

When you get to the "send waypoints" pop up you put the following tags in the waypoint name box:

What this does is change the waypoint name:

Say GC12345 is a traditional micro with a difficulty of 2 and terrain of 1

GC12345 becomes TM12345 2 1

Or GC54321 is a multi small with a difficulty of 1 and terrain of 2.5

It becomes MS54321 1 B (letters replace half stars 1.5=A, 2.5=B, 3.5=C etc.)

Make sure you also have the correct number of max characters (14)

Briansnat,

Thanks for that schooling. IBcrashin posted that tag link the other day. Looked it over. I'm thankful to both of you but it's still Greek to me. I'll take what you've posted andstudy this some more to see if it eventually sinks in. Printed out your instructions and bookmarked IB's link.

CAD, no problem. Allen Bradley (industrial machine control programming software), no problem. Photoshop and even Delorme Topo, no problem. GSAK is just tough for me for some reason. Been trying to figure it out for so long I get facial ticks when I open it. :lol:

I just got the 60CSx as well and really like the unit and it's accuracy.

Question is about loading the Topo 24K map

-I have a 4GB Micro SD card

-I downloaded the City Navigator and it works fine

-I downloaded the Topo 24K (West) and it doesn't load -- after it completes up to 100% it gives "Can't unlock maps"

-Note: I find this unwieldy, but I've downloaded both maps to the SD Card and have named them differently, because if I don't then the process will overwrite itself

-Note: I've tried just about everything including following some instructions where you put the unlock code within a text formatted .UNL file

Has anybody figured this out? I'd greatly appreciate a reply.

As for GSAK, I'm still a newbie, but was able to figure out how to have the Geocache name (%smart) be used instead of the GC code -- makes it easier to navigate to the next cache location when using the www.geocaching.com software on an offline iPod.

Thanks.

I just got the 60CSx as well and really like the unit and it's accuracy.

As for GSAK, I'm still a newbie, but was able to figure out how to have the Geocache name (%smart) be used instead of the GC code -- makes it easier to navigate to the next cache location when using the www.geocaching.com software on an offline iPod.

Thanks.

Since you already have the Mapsource product, you might consider sending your filtered data from GSAK to Mapsource. In Mapsource, using the Routing tool, you can click on caches on the map in the order in which you would like to search for them. When you have the route completed plug your GPS'r into your computer. Make sure it is turned on, then click Transfer>Send to Device. When the dialog box appears unselect the box next to Waypoints if you have already uploaded your Waypoints from GSAK, but leave the box next to Routes selected. When you head out to do your caching press the Page button on the 60CSx until you get the Main Menu page. Select Routes then press ENTR. Select the route and press ENTR again. Start at the first one on the list. You can use the Find Next feature of the 60CSx or you can simply go back to the Route and select the next on on the list. If you mark your caches as Found they will show up on the Route as the "opened treasure chest".

Be safe and have fun caching...

I am catching on, or so I thought!

I had a wonderful inperson tutorial with Team Laxson, and then I decided I wanted to tweak the settings and change the way point names. Now I've got a problem.

I am using GSAK and Mapsource and am loading caches as waypoints.

I decided I wanted to view the names on my unit using the following tags:

Now I have double entries in both GSAK and Mapsource and I can't seem to get rid of them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

OKAY, I fixed this issue.

I deleted all the waypoints out of GSAK and reloaded the zip file, then I was able to export the file to mapsource, but now I am having other issues.

I sent the file to my Garmin and now I have double entries on my GPS. One entry with the previous smart name and the new file with the names the way I want them.

I was able to create a new file in Mapsource and retrieve the file from my GPS, but the files are still on my GPS.

Questions:

1. How do I get clear files on my GPS to make new for new ones?

2. How do I get the "found" caches that I marked as such to actually show up as found at geocaching.com?

I don't see any of my finds showing up in the GSAK file that came from my PQ.

3. I would also like to know if I can use my iPhone offline in places where I don't get cell reception so that I can see cache details and log my caches.

I am going to keep playing with this and maybe I'll be able to answer some of my own questions.

1. How do I get clear files on my GPS to make new for new ones?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

2. How do I get the "found" caches that I marked as such to actually show up as found at geocaching.com?

I don't see any of my finds showing up in the GSAK file that came from my PQ.

First part, you need to log your finds onto GC.com after your day of caching. You can do this one of two ways. First there is a macro you can run to send finds from GSAK but I do not know how to do this. Second way, which I do, is to go to the calendar screen from the menu screen. From here, click on the date you geocached and it will list all of your finds for the day in the order you found them. Then log your finds onto GC.com in the order you found them using the calendar as a reference to keep your finds in order.

Part two, you need to download a MY finds PQ that is located at the bottom of your PQ page. This will generate all of your finds that you can now import into GSAK.

3. I would also like to know if I can use my iPhone offline in places where I don't get cell reception so that I can see cache details and log my caches.

Yes you can. Just download the GC.com app and you will be on your way. Just remember to download your PQ onto your phone prior to losing cell reception or you will not be able to pull up any information. Just press "saved" at the bottom of the screen and then choose "download PQ" and it will load and save onto your phone for future access.

One other thing with the iPhone app is you can create field notes, which is the preferred way to pre-log your finds. When you create a field note for the cache you have found, you can log into GC.com and choose to view your field notes. This will give you a list of all the caches you found or did not find for the day. from these field notes you now can log your finds directly onto GC.com without needing to use GSAK or the calendar from your CSX. This is how I log my finds for the day. This is how you can do paperless caching with the CSX.

I hope this has answered some of your questions. Good luck.

I was able to clear/delete all waypoints stored in the unit to make way for the new files, which is glorious because they now all have names that I can use, but is this the way it is done every time you add a new PQ?

Thanks!

That's pretty much the only way to do it, clear it out and then reload. I usually only download around 200-300 caches at a time to my unit so it will leave room for adding waypoints later for multi's, puzzles, my own hides, and those new caches that pop up so I can use the "send to GPS" button on GC.com.

I have never had a unit so difficult to use :blink:

M

Load it with GSAK or EasyGPS. Just chose Send to GPS. That's all there is to it.