New to Geocaching

Simmy_82

Hi all,

I am new to this. So new that i havent even started looking yet. I have the iPhone App (free one at the minute), so i can try it on 3 cache hunts. If the wife and i enjoy those three i will get the full app.

I also have the Garmin eTrex GPS device (not really used it much yet, i got it as a gift). I am looking for advice as to which software is best to use with this device for adding waypoints etc.? I have all the cables to hook it upto the PC but the software doesnt come with said cables. Advice welcome.

Also a quick question about the trackable items. Say i find a coin in a geocache, and i can help it along its way. Do i physically take that coin home with me register that i have it? Then when i next go hunting i take it with me and drop it at the next cache and inform the owner that i have moved it to its new location? Is there a time limit to how long i should hold onto it etc? Again advice/tip welcome.

Thank you all in advance.

EDIT: I also had the idea of leaving little a Lego man in a cache that i find. Even if there is nothing to trade it with. Is this what is generally done?

Edited by Simmy_82

Trackables...I'd suggest not grabbing any until you're sure you want to make this a hobby. Time frames for moving it along vary, but sooner the better as owners like them to move along. Before you drop a trackable make sure you have the number on it written down, you'll need it to record the retreive.

As for just leaving an item... That's called a 'signature item'. Most cachers don't leave them, but items like what you're suggesting are desirable. Definitely do it if it interests you.

If i am to start leaving a signature item do i need to attach anything to it, or do i just make a note on the cache log what it is i left behind? with the acronym TNLS (Took Nothing Left Something)??

Thanks for your speedy response :lol:

That's totally up to you. Some leave notes, others don't. I like the idea of noting the drop in the log.

I also have the Garmin eTrex GPS device (not really used it much yet, i got it as a gift). I am looking for advice as to which software is best to use with this device for adding waypoints etc.? I have all the cables to hook it upto the PC but the software doesnt come with said cables. Advice welcome.

You can install coords to the Etrex using the cable by just clicking the geocache on the map page and selecting "Send to GPS".. you will have to install a Garmin browser plugin but thats all (The browser should prompt you when you first try to send a waypoint)

Once and if you become a premium member you will be able to download multiple cache coords at once. and the software you want to look at with that is G.S.A.K http://www.gsak.net/

Welcome to Geocaching, It's fun and very adictive :lol:

P.S I would recommend taking the etrex and the phone when you first go caching, I would expect the Etrex to be a bit more accurate.

You can install coords to the Etrex using the cable by just clicking the geocache on the map page and selecting "Send to GPS".. you will have to install a Garmin browser plugin but thats all (The browser should prompt you when you first try to send a waypoint)

Once and if you become a premium member you will be able to download multiple cache coords at once. and the software you want to look at with that is G.S.A.K http://www.gsak.net/

Welcome to Geocaching, It's fun and very adictive :lol:

P.S I would recommend taking the etrex and the phone when you first go caching, I would expect the Etrex to be a bit more accurate.

Thanks for that i didnt realise it there was a Plugin for the Garmin GPS.

I was planning on taking both iphone and GPS, mainly because the cache's i would likely go for will be on hiking routes that i am likely to take.

If i am to start leaving a signature item do i need to attach anything to it, or do i just make a note on the cache log what it is i left behind? with the acronym TNLS (Took Nothing Left Something)??

Thanks for your speedy response :lol:

We put a little suncatcher crystal in the caches we visit. We put it in a little plastic baggie with a note with our name on it. We've had some nice responses back.

Welcome to the sport!

I love the LEGO man idea....I've been trying to come up with something like the signature item that wouldn't cost too much. I was thinking GI JOE figures or something though.....GOOD IDEA!

I'm relatively new to geocaching and GSAK was recommended to me as a tool to help keep track of everything. GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a free download and it has lots of tools included in it to help a beginner like you and I keep track of caches, waypoints, benchmarks and the like.

:lol:

Just a thought

Ty

Thanks guys. Was thinking of the plastic bag and a note for the lego man.

Having looked into the Lego man idea, they arent badly priced. you can pick bundles up on ebay at £8 for 10 etc so its not overly expensive. Think if i do start to do that i wont leave it in every cache i find. I'll prob leave it in the difficuly ones to find, reach so that the finder has some kind of reward.

EDIT: tyreynolds0123 - It will be interesting to see if we run across eachothers Lego men lol

Edited by Simmy_82

...Also a quick question about the trackable items. Say i find a coin in a geocache, and i can help it along its way. Do i physically take that coin home with me register that i have it? Then when i next go hunting i take it with me and drop it at the next cache and inform the owner that i have moved it to its new location? Is there a time limit to how long i should hold onto it etc? Again advice/tip welcome.

When you find any trackable (that's a geocoin or a travelbug or any of the other geocaching.com trackable items) and you retrieve it from a cache it's a good habit to make a note of the tracking number somewhere. That way, if there are any problems/glitches/mistakes made with the logging out/into caches you'll have the number handy and you'll be able to correct any errors.

Full details about how to log trackables can be read here: Trackables etiquette.

MrsB

Also a quick question about the trackable items. Say i find a coin in a geocache, and i can help it along its way. Do i physically take that coin home with me register that i have it? Then when i next go hunting i take it with me and drop it at the next cache and inform the owner that i have moved it to its new location? Is there a time limit to how long i should hold onto it etc? Again advice/tip welcome.
I tend to take trackables (Travel Bugs and Geocoins) home, log the caches I found and the trackables I picked up, and then drop the trackables the next time I go out. But you can drop a trackable at another cache later the same day if you like. Just be sure to record the trackable number so you can log it properly.

You generally don't need to notify the owner. When you log the trackable on the geocaching.com site, the owner will get email automatically. (That doesn't apply to anything that is trackable at a third-party site, but still, you don't need to notify the owner. Logging online is enough.)

I also had the idea of leaving little a Lego man in a cache that i find. Even if there is nothing to trade it with. Is this what is generally done?
As others have said, that sounds like a signature item. Some of us trade for (and collect) signature items. But unless there is something to identify it as a signature item, how will we know that it isn't just a random toy? Some folks put their sig items in small ziplock bags (check the jewelry section of your local craft store), along with a note explaining what they are, and who left them.

Full details about how to log trackables can be read here: Trackables etiquette.

Thanks for the link, its very helpful

As others have said, that sounds like a signature item. Some of us trade for (and collect) signature items. But unless there is something to identify it as a signature item, how will we know that it isn't just a random toy? Some folks put their sig items in small ziplock bags (check the jewelry section of your local craft store), along with a note explaining what they are, and who left them.

Thanks for the tip. I think that is what i'll do. Had that idea to start with so it makes sense to try it.

Now to buy some lego men lol

EDIT: The wife and i are going walking at the weekend, so going to try find a few of these. Where we are going there are a few Earthcache's as well as Geocahce's. Should be fun. I'll let you all know how i get on. Thanks for all the help so far ;)

Edited by Simmy_82

Apologies for Double posting.

Thanks for the tips people. Found 5 cache's yesterday whilst on a walk around Malham, North Yorkshire, UK. Also got the 10/10/10 Souvenir :)

3x EarthCache's

2x GeoCache's

We are going to continue Geocaching. But only when we decide to go on a walk/hike somewhere, if there are Cache's on our route we'll find them (or try to). We wont just go geocache hunting.

Again thanks for the tips!

Edited by Simmy_82

Hi,

My Husband and I are new to this, we have heard about Geocaching through a friend of a friend,

we thought we should give it a try. We went out yesterday on that dark gray rainy day and we went to look for two around around our neighbourhood. Didnt find any :P ........We are wondering what devices would be good to start? Any tips or suggestions? Would you suggest we look for the size of the cache or more the areas we are farmilar in? Also, are they in certain containers or can they be in anything?

I think that covers my first few questions!

Enjoy,

together4fun

We are wondering what devices would be good to start?
I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I found hundreds before I bought a GPS receiver.

Any tips or suggestions? Would you suggest we look for the size of the cache or more the areas we are farmilar in?
A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

Also, are they in certain containers or can they be in anything?
It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

I have a blog that explains some of the basics of geocaching.

http://badfish2geocaching.blogspot.com/

Please, I'm starting to feel that you are spamming the forum with 'news' of your blog... :P

I'm not spamming, I noticed that there were several people who had basic questions so I added a link. I have no ads on my blog so traffic numbers do not benefit me. I am just trying to help.

We are going to continue Geocaching. But only when we decide to go on a walk/hike somewhere, if there are Cache's on our route we'll find them (or try to). We wont just go geocache hunting.

Hee, hee, hee!

That's what you say now; just wait until you get addicted!

That's what I was thinking too - geocaching introduces you to places in your own backyard you didn't realise were there. And there's the social aspect....events!