What does DOH mean?

Darren V

What does DOH stand for?

I saw it in this context in a log:

"The the DOH moment was followed by..."

I am confused and have never seen that one before

any help?

:blink:

It's not an acronym. It's an expression of astonishment at one's lack of understanding. As in, "well, duh..."

notice the apostrophe. That's important! "D'OH!" is a contraction of "DUH! OH!"

Let's use proper grammar here!

Duh comes from the low-brow pronunciation of ah or uh. "d'ah, (uh) which way did he go George?" Some high-brow grammarian that decided that it needed to be spelled appropriately. From there people are using it to mock others as if they are someone who should be sayn. D'uuuhhh.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It means I loaded the gps about a week ago, but couldn't go that day.

**Now I'm on the caching trail with week old data......

****The cache I'm aiming for has been moved 75 feet since then

******AND I passed within 600ft of a brand new cache ---> could'a' had the FTF, if I'd had current info

********DNFs are the day's harvest - fun yet? D'oh!!

Hehehe hahaha I have used D'oh in a few DNFs and a few finds... LOL It is actually part of my vocabulary... Like when someone drops something on the ground "D'oh!" Or when a friend said he got a speeding ticket - "D'oh!!" It should be added to Websters Dictionary if it hasn't been added already... LOL :anitongue:

Hehehe hahaha I have used D'oh in a few DNFs and a few finds... LOL It is actually part of my vocabulary... Like when someone drops something on the ground "D'oh!" Or when a friend said he got a speeding ticket - "D'oh!!" It should be added to Websters Dictionary if it hasn't been added already... LOL :anitongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27oh!#Dictionary

In 2001, the word was added to the Oxford English Dictionary; The definition given is:

Expressing frustration at the realization that things have turned out badly or not as planned, or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also (usu. mildly derogatory): implying that another person has said or done something foolish (cf. DUH int.).

The headword spelling is doh, but d'oh is listed as a variant (as is dooh), and the etymology section notes "the word appears (in the form D'oh) in numerous publications based on The Simpsons". Eight quotations are cited: the earliest is from 1945; two others are Simpsons-related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27oh!#Dictionary

In 2001, the word was added to the Oxford English Dictionary; The definition given is:

Expressing frustration at the realization that things have turned out badly or not as planned, or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also (usu. mildly derogatory): implying that another person has said or done something foolish (cf. DUH int.).

The headword spelling is doh, but d'oh is listed as a variant (as is dooh), and the etymology section notes "the word appears (in the form D'oh) in numerous publications based on The Simpsons". Eight quotations are cited: the earliest is from 1945; two others are Simpsons-related.

So I guess 'Dumb Old Homophobe' isn't one of the options?

My own subtle nuance between "d'uh" and "d'oh":

When it's somebody else that does something bone-headed, the little voice inside my head says "d'uh!" When it's *me* that does something bone-headed, the little voice inside my head says "d'oh!" (And I agree with gorillagal that it sounds more like "dough," at least that's the way the little voice inside my heads says it.) :anitongue: