Archived caches and removing containers

Carlos1787

I have run across a couple caches that had been archived, but the container was still in place. in the first case the cache owner did not respond (and had not logged on in some time) to a maintenance request, the container was filling with water. I found the cache, but did not realized it had been archived a few weeks earlier by a reviewer. I removed that container while I was there because I checked online to see what was going on with it.

The Second one was a nice multi that the clue to the final was faded and could not be read. The CO has recently logged on, and has been logging on regularly from the looks of things, but has not responded to a maintenance request for over 1 year. The Cache had 3 reviewer warnings before being archived. I went back out to the location today to grab the very nice ammo can full of swag.

Question is should I attempt to contact the cache owners to return the containers? Or did I just score 2 nice containers because of their lack of attention to reviewer and fellow cachers' requests?

the other thing is that after only 16 months of geocaching I have run into this quite a few times. It seems that there could be an awful lot of GeoLitter out there...

Question is should I attempt to contact the cache owners to return the containers? Or did I just score 2 nice containers because of their lack of attention to reviewer and fellow cachers' requests?

Collect the containers and send the owner(s) an EMail offering a means of returning them if the owner(s) want them back. If they don't respond to you within two weeks, finders-keepers, losers-weepers.

Waiting six months to retrieve an archived cache is plain irresponsible, Brian. You deserve to have it taken by somebody.

When I plan on archiving one of our caches because I have grown tired of maintaining it (I sometimes get bored after 3-5 years), I put a note on the cache page that I'm going to retire it soon. Then I disable it shortly before heading out to get it, go pick it up, then archive the listing.

Make sure you look at the wording closely. Some of the archived ones locally also state "archived, but cache remains in place for historical value" or "cache remains so others can see what it has been through" or similar wording. Of course those are ones that are typically archived but still maintained.

First let me say I have not done this yet, but these are the steps I will do if I need to:

1) I try to contact owner, if no contact within a week or two, then I recommend archival until it is maintained.

2) If I see one that has been marked out for more than 30 days with no contact either via email or the website, then I will go get the cache and remove it.

2a) I am the type that will hold onto it for 30-60 days before claiming it as my own. If it is a good spot, I will contact admins and attempt to adopt it as my own, leaving previous logs as is.

3) if all else fails I got a new cache container and will place it myself

@ brian - 6 months? I can understand if you placed it 6 hours away but if it is within an hour or two drive, go get it and be done with it, or else let someone else adopt it. Its been archived for 60+ days, so basically first geocacher to find it becomes the container and its contents new owner.

For those planning to retire the cache, check with other local cachers to see if any of them would like to adopt it before fully retiring it. That way it stays active and the next group can come along and keep finding it.

Edited by mddbkzr

I have several archived caches still in place. I intend to go get them, but it's not a priority so they've been there post archival from a few weeks to nearly 6 months. I'd be pretty ticked if someone walked off with my containers without asking.

Hate to disagree with a moderator I respect, but that seems a bit long to me as well. Once the cache ceases to be used in the game, it's no different than any other trash laying around. At the very least you don't know if there are any unlogged trackbables stuck in that cache.

Leaving former caches laying around just feeds into the negative stereotype the enviro's have of geocachers.

I have several archived caches still in place. I intend to go get them, but it's not a priority so they've been there post archival from a few weeks to nearly 6 months. I'd be pretty ticked if someone walked off with my containers without asking.

Hate to disagree with a moderator I respect, but that seems a bit long to me as well. Once the cache ceases to be used in the game, it's no different than any other trash laying around. At the very least you don't know if there are any unlogged trackbables stuck in that cache.

Leaving former caches laying around just feeds into the negative stereotype the enviro's have of geocachers.

So how does this differ from the caches left for historical value? Who really physically looks for archived caches? Leaving it there is akin to trash. Since its not an active cache, many like myself just filter these out of our PQs.

Agreed. If nothing else, the maintenance guidelines should apply. I can argue all day with a tree hugger who wants to claim that an active geocache is litter, but I would be hard pressed to make that same argument for an archived cache that has been out of play for six months. At some point I think it becomes unreasonable. But I'm not really sure when that point occurs. I guess it depends on circumstances. The guidelines suggest that a "reasonable time" for addressing cache issues is normally a few weeks. I'd have to mostly agree with that.

As for the so called "historical" archived caches, I'm thinking that's just a CO being lazy.

This might be a good time to point out that many state geocaching organizations have a "cache rescue" program so that geocaches don't become geotrash. From my state organization:

GCCO members will go out to cache sites and verify that the containers have been removed or they will collect them if still present and recycle them. This ensures that no geocache in Colorado becomes "geotrash".