Blisters

mr.grumpy

I keep getting blisters on my feet, in the same spots, even hiking just a few miles. I tried different shoes and socks but the blisters come back. Any tips or tricks to keep them at bay? The last time I did any "hiking" I weight 50 pounds less and was wearing combat boots and I rarely got blisters and they were random when they did occur.

I only wear wool socks now. No crew socks, no dressy socks, just wool socks. They provide just the right amount of moisture wicking and padding to make my feet happy.

Secondly, I spent a lot of time and money looking for good hiking shoes and boots. I have winter boots, spring/fall/rugged terrain boots, and then my regular hiking shoes. Once I've found a good pair of footwear... I'll buy another pair just like it. That way I don't have to panic when I wear out a pair of boots or shoes.

That brings up two other points. One... depending on how much you wear your shoes/boots, you can wear them out in a years time. I actually wore out a pair of shoes in 9 months because I wore them all the time and we hiked so much. Two... eventually you'll crush the insole. If you can you can replace the insole if the shoes/boots are still in good shape. If you can't... time to get a new pair.

Finally... don't wear them all the time. Change footwear so one pair can "rest" and air out while you've got other footwear on.

Two suggestions.

The cheap one - put preventive duct tape on the spots that tend to get rubbed. This is similar to using moleskin

The more expensive one- invest in some good socks. Try using a thin liner pair, with a thicker hiking pair. The idea is that the friction is now between the socks, not between the sock and your foot. They should both be of wicking material. I prefer Smartwool brand, but there are plenty of other good brands out there.

If you are getting blisters your shoes don't fit properly or are not broken in. If you've worn them more than a few times, they should be broken in, so it's fit.

So getting a good fitting pair of shoes is a priority.

Some other things you can do to reduce the likelihood of blisters are:

1. Do not wear cotton socks. They retain moisture and damp socks are a contributor to blisters.

2. Wear good quality, merino wool socks. Merino wool is much more comfortable than regular wool and doesn't itch.

3. Wear thin, polypropylene sock liners. The extra layer helps reduce the friction that causes blisters.

4. If all else fails, before you begin your hike put a piece of duct tape over your usual hot spots. Use scissors to round the edges before applying to help the tape stay put. Be sure your feet are bone dry because duct tape doesn't stick to damp feet.

I have been wearing LL Bean socks which seem to be "good socks" and sneakers or (more often) some LL Bean boots that I got a few years ago that most closely resemble these ones from the current catalog or even my 511 work boots. The Beans are 8 wide (my size) and the 511s are 8 1/2. Same blister. Same spot. now, I have heard of Moleskin after you HAVE a blister but never to prevent one. I'll have to try that out! Oh, I should mention that I am old, fat (+40 lbs) and out of shape and carry a thirty pound or so pack (baby) when I'm out there.

Edited by mr.grumpy

I used to have a problem years ago where I went from not walking a lot to walking a lot and would get huge blisters ont he soles of my feet. Once the initial blister was done I could walk around and never have another problem. Then I'd stop walking everywhere and start the process over again.

Get good quality, good fitting shoes. And not all quality brands will fit your feet the same. If you seem to have problems with one brand try a different one. I had a lot of trouble with my last shoes because of the insoles and the elastic laces (wrong shaped foot for all that stuff).

When I get blisters I'll put some of the blister cushioned basically waterproof bandaids on it.

Make sure your feet are staying dryer than wetter.

And change your shoes. I rotate through a variety of shoes so pressure and rubbing happens on different parts of my foot not the same parts over and over again.

I find that shoes or boots designed for hiking--not just sneakers--have sturdier soles and my feet stay still in them and don't twist in the shoe nd create friction on my feet. I'm new to this and am logging so many more hiking miles than before I started that I'm now investing in socks and sock liners (who knew there was such a thing?!). I'm also looking at investing in a pair of super good hiking boots, as I want to do some backpacking trips and the ankle support will help since in my family--even the pets are clumsy!

I have been wearing LL Bean socks which seem to be "good socks" and sneakers or (more often) some LL Bean boots that I got a few years ago that most closely resemble these ones from the current catalog or even my 511 work boots. The Beans are 8 wide (my size) and the 511s are 8 1/2. Same blister. Same spot. now, I have heard of Moleskin after you HAVE a blister but never to prevent one. I'll have to try that out! Oh, I should mention that I am old, fat (+40 lbs) and out of shape and carry a thirty pound or so pack (baby) when I'm out there.

Just keep caching and you won't be fat or feel old! I just signed up Aug. 14 and I've lost 10 lbs.!

Found the solution: thinner socks! I had a pair of thin, totally wool-less socks that I bought years ago for skiing. They did the trick. I spent a LOT more time on ym feet today than I had planned on and NO blisters! WOOT!

LOL...sounds like you got it.

I was thinking...well, eventually they would get callouses, right? Problem solved. ;)

Found the solution: thinner socks! I had a pair of thin, totally wool-less socks that I bought years ago for skiing. They did the trick. I spent a LOT more time on ym feet today than I had planned on and NO blisters! WOOT!

WOO! HOO! Happy you found the answer. When I lived in Hawaii, a week or so before a 2 or 3 day hike I would walk in the shallow water at the beach for 20 minutes a day. A friend told me that toughens your feet.

Oh! Wait! Do you think she might have just been getting me to go for walks on the beach? :laughing:

That got about as tedious as watching the sun set into the ocean every night from my 22nd floor lanai. (Yawn)