Terrain rating question.

We have a cache in the river that needs a canoe to get to. You do not need a to own a canoe because there is a spot that rents them and the cache is only 500m from the rental place. The river is very easy to paddle. We said a 5 star rating because you need a boat. `We think people are not looking at it because of the 5 star rating on the cache page and are not finding out finding out they can rent a canoe. Can we change the rating to a lower star rating because they can rent a canoe?

We have a cache in the river that needs a canoe to get to. You do not need a to own a canoe because there is a spot that rents them and the cache is only 500m from the rental place. The river is very easy to paddle. We said a 5 star rating because you need a boat. `We think people are not looking at it because of the 5 star rating on the cache page and are not finding out finding out they can rent a canoe. Can we change the rating to a lower star rating because they can rent a canoe?

Can some one swim in the area?

Cause it is plausible for some one to swim there then I would say it is a 4.

I don't think you should change the rating. You could mention on the cache page that there are places to rent canoes nearby - don't mention a specific place.

You're never going to get a steady flow of traffic to a boat cache. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

I just looked at the cache listing... I would differentiate between a canoe and boat. Here there is a vast difference between canoe and boat. Or mention an array of things that can be used to get to the cache (canoe, boat, kayak etc.).

Also if I was looking for the cache I probably wouldn't seek it out with the advertisement and price of rentals of the canoe rental spot.

I just looked at the cache listing... I would differentiate between a canoe and boat. Here there is a vast difference between canoe and boat.

A canoe is a boat.

I looked at the cache listing, too... and I fail to find a problem. It was just published in July and has had 21 "found it" logs already. It looks like a fun cache and it seems to be getting plenty of traffic, considering that you need a boat to get to it.

I just looked at the cache listing... I would differentiate between a canoe and boat. Here there is a vast difference between canoe and boat.

A canoe is a boat.

I looked at the cache listing, too... and I fail to find a problem. It was just published in July and has had 21 "found it" logs already. It looks like a fun cache and it seems to be getting plenty of traffic, considering that you need a boat to get to it.

21 finds for a boat cache in 2 months? That is a lot. I don't think my boat caches get that many finds in 2 years. Not sure what the OP is expecting.

Edited by briansnat

I also think that is a lot of finds for a boat cache. There are several boat caches around here and a lot of rivers with people who own watercraft, but the caches around here don't get quite that much traffic.

The higher terrain or the more remote, you won't get a lot of finds on your caches, that's just how it goes!

Most of my caches are way out in the boonies and they don't get a lot of finds either. I have one in California that hasn't been found since 2008, and it's certainly there because I check on it every time I visit my mom. Well, techinically, my sister who is also a cacher found it in 2010, but she hasn't logged it online yet...

Yes, 21 finds is a LOT for a boat cache in such a short time. My son & I put out 8 or so water caches this year. One group of them has 13 finds and the other 8.

Now that the "craze" of them being new is over and all those with a kayak or canoe have found them, the finds will drop off to a handful a year.

One water cache I put out has only had 17 finds in over 3 years, and the bulk have been with a group of several cachers at a time visiting it.