Terrain rating for a cache that is placed high

Andronicus

I am exactly the average height for a North American adult male. I recently placed a cache as high as I can reach. I didn't want to mention the height on the cache page, because the height is the only thing 'hiding' the cache. Other than that, it is about 3 feet off a sidewalk. What do you figure the terrain rating should be? Clay Jars does not take into account height...so it suggests a 1 star.

Three feet off a sidewalk and as high as you can reach? I don't quite understand what you're trying to explain.

The question is, should the fact that it is up quite high be reflected in the terrain rating? Other than the height, it is a 1 star terrain, but should it be rated higher due to it being quite high. Cachers shorter than me (half of the male populatin, and more of the female population) will have a difficult time, and may require some sort of elevating device (stool, log, friend etc.).

There is a cache that is relatively new in my area that is rated Terrain 5 because it is about 15 feet up into a tree with no other way to get up in it.

If that qualifies a 5, I see no reason that having to climb a tree or such would not be reflected in the terrain.

I did 2 tree caches recently that seemed to be a 2.5 terrain just for climbing the tree, but the one that required you to climb the tree quite a bit to recover the cache had a higher difficulty.

So basically, if you can reach it as someone around 6 ft tall, I would say it doesn't require climbing and thus the 1.5 difficulty would be fine (because it isn't wheelchair accessible). If you have to climb the tree, than it would be a 2.5. If you need a ladder, it would be a 5 terrain.

Then the difficulty of the hide itself within the tree (do you have to climb out and balance on a limb to get it?) adds stars to difficulty.

Terrain ratings are somewhat subjective and even Clay Jar's system leaves room for interpretation. If a cache off of a sidewalk is placed high, but within easy reach of an average person, I also would give it 1.5 If it is placed to be reached by a person in a wheelchair, then 1 would be appropriate. If it requires tree climbing, I would add to the difficulty level according to the tree. In my area, the owner of a recent climbing cache changed the terrain rating after getting feedback -- I think she went from around 3 to 4 or more. I would only rate it a 5 if it requires special equipment or is absurdly difficult.

Edited by mulvaney

I am exactly the average height for a North American adult male. I recently placed a cache as high as I can reach. I didn't want to mention the height on the cache page, because the height is the only thing 'hiding' the cache. Other than that, it is about 3 feet off a sidewalk. What do you figure the terrain rating should be? Clay Jars does not take into account height...so it suggests a 1 star.

Obviously, starting with a T=1, but if it is up in a tree, a higher T is expected. I would give it a 2 or 2.5. that would at least tell cachers it is not a P and G and may actually take a little work to grab.

What does your gut tell you?

(that is a serious question. I think you already know what the rating should be. Obviously, you know that Clayjar's suggestion is wrong. Obviously, you know that you are taller than many that will be going after the cache. I want to know what you think the rating should be)

Edited by knowschad

(that is a serious question. I think you already know what the rating should be. Obviously, you know that Clayjar's suggestion is wrong. Obviously, you know that you are taller than many that will be going after the cache. I want to know what you think the rating should be)

I rated it a 1/1.5. However, I thought there had been some talk that if a lader was needed, that could be considered 'special equipment'. It would seem rediculouse to make this a 5 terrain though, especialy when close to 1/2 of cachers could just reach up and grab it.

Height is only factored against terrain [for me] if I have to to climb, or hang on something to reach it. Then I factor it in. But If it's within reach for an 'average' person, I'd just slap a generic 1.5 on it.

How tall is the average geocacher. Presuming they are a random sample of people, most would have trouble reaching it. Anyway, unless someone presents a good argument otherwise, I am planning to leve it at 1.5.

Edited by Andronicus

How tall is the average geocacher. Presuming they are a random sample of people, most would have trouble reaching it. Anyway, unless someone presents a good argument otherwise, I am planning to leve it at 1.5.

Tall people wont have a problem, average people wont have a problem, vertically challenged folks will most likely improvise with a ToTT or something. I'm not going to split hairs and try to assume the average height of geocachers. When it comes down to it, the crowd that has trouble retrieving a cache like you describe, expecting a 1.5 terrain cache will be extremely minimal. 1.5 terrain should be suitable.

I rated it a 1/1.5. However, I thought there had been some talk that if a lader was needed, that could be considered 'special equipment'. It would seem rediculouse to make this a 5 terrain though, especialy when close to 1/2 of cachers could just reach up and grab it.

Height is only factored against terrain [for me] if I have to to climb, or hang on something to reach it. Then I factor it in. But If it's within reach for an 'average' person, I'd just slap a generic 1.5 on it.

Sounds about right. That's what I see around here.

Wheelchair height is about 4.5' off the ground or so - that's a 1.0 if the wheelchair can get to GZ.

I'm shorter than average, and I know it. So, if I can reach it unassisted (up to 7'0", it's a 1.5 (wheelchair plus).

I carry a TOTT in the car that helps me compensate. With that, I can reach most any cache that's 10' or less. If I can add a rock, stump, pail, fence rail to the mix, I can increase that to 12' or so. These make the T about a 2.0. Anything above that is 2.5 or greater.

not a long hike and just out of reach for the average STANDING person, i'd rank it 1.5 stars T because its not accessable for someone sitting in a wheelchair.

I don't think it has a thing to do with terrain. I think it has more to do with difficulty. If you can easily walk up to within a few feet of the cache then the terrain is a 1.5 if not wheel chair accessible. The "reach" or using a special tool like a grabber changes the difficulty rating not the terrain.

You might consider using this Geocache Rating System to get started. The system like almost anything else is subjective but like I said it's a start.

Don't have much of an opinion on the rating but I do have a minor suggestion.

It appears when there is some type of concern with the cache most of my favorite COs provide a more than decent hint which can minimize the concern.

For you, your hint could be as simple as "look up" or more creative "about the same height as a stop sign" or whatever reference object you choose.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob