Visited - took it to

BlueDeuce

I've been avoiding some retro logging (dipping) of a few trackables... This made it very easy...

I really like the new option... I did have a little problem with the drop menu of actions... easy to inadvertently close it down before choosing... I found that staying over to the right a bit helps bypass the first options... other than that it was very smooth...

Doug 7rxc

One complaint noted in the geocoin forums, (not so much a complaint as an unwanted consequence of wishing for the visit option) is that now there is no note to the owner about the visit. So, if you want to make a trackable owner happier, when dipping someone else's trackable, you can go back and say something on the trackable page about where it's been. Or post a photo. I don't believe the owner gets an email for a visit.

One complaint noted in the geocoin forums, (not so much a complaint as an unwanted consequence of wishing for the visit option) is that now there is no note to the owner about the visit. So, if you want to make a trackable owner happier, when dipping someone else's trackable, you can go back and say something on the trackable page about where it's been. Or post a photo. I don't believe the owner gets an email for a visit.

The owner does get an email :P

e.g. One I had recently...

salz69 took Draig Dai (Travel Bug Dog Tag) to I AM SPARTA!!! at 8/8/2010

Log Date: 8/8/2010"

So you get informed that your trackable was taken to a cache rather than being "placed".

I really like the new Visit option, we made use of it sveral times while taking this geocoin around Scotland last week Mauison's Triple Dragon geocoin.

MrsB

Oh good, someone said it didn't send an email. No one has moved any of my own trackables in a good long time. Sigh..... :( So, I wouldn't know if I got an email or not for a visit. It's so new!

Correct, there is a notification when your Trackable is visited in a cache. However, at the end of this month we will be turning off the email notification for visits *only*.

Someone recently dipped 189 Trackables in 226 caches consecutively, generating 42,000 email notifications. ONE person generated that many notifications.

We'll bring that notification back in the future after we figure out how to implement a daily digest-style notification system.

Oh good, someone said it didn't send an email. No one has moved any of my own trackables in a good long time. Sigh..... :lol: So, I wouldn't know if I got an email or not for a visit. It's so new!

Correct, there is a notification when your Trackable is visited in a cache. However, at the end of this month we will be turning off the email notification for visits *only*.

Someone recently dipped 189 Trackables in 226 caches consecutively, generating 42,000 email notifications. ONE person generated that many notifications.

We'll bring that notification back in the future after we figure out how to implement a daily digest-style notification system.

:lol:

:(

*sigh*

It's such a useful feature, when used in moderation, but I can see how generating that many extra email notifications could present problems. Hey ho. :(

MrsB

This sounds like it's working great for players who own Dipping Bugs! WooHoo. When I first started getting the "Took It To" logs for my coins, I started to feel like I was missing something because there are no notes attached, but then I realised that these particular dips were mostly Extra, and there would just have been no log at all before, so I'm actually getting more than I'm losing. Whatever story the players have to share will come at the time the first grab it, or maybe when they finally drop it. We will have to see what creative ways people can think of to use this tool!!

Whew...When we get that tool developed, maybe there can be a way to also use it to notify Trackable and Cache owners of edited logs, or added pictures. We still get no notice when someone adds a picture, so the only way to know is if you check the gallery periodically for every listing you own. A seperate gallery for pics that other people have added to your owned items is still something I wash for, but that's another topic. Thank you all for the hard work.

if it was all their own trackables: how about not sending an owner notification email if the person doing it is the owner as well? or more generally, don't send any notification emails to the person doing the action. that might be useful on cache pages as well (i don't need to be notified about things i do myself).

FWIW: http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...oing_the_action

Edited by dfx

Daily summary instead of instant notification?

Maybe some sort of hourly summary that once a bug is logged there is an hour 'collect time' to to see if any additional logs are set to go to that owner.

Additional thought: Then maybe people could choose to be notified instantly, hourly, or daily.

Edited by BlueDeuce