QR and Bar Codes

I just noticed that different QR generators will produce a different code using the same input.

I just i-nigma and kaywa to do one for my zazzle site. The result was two different codes that both work. Strange strange...

The i-nigma one was 29x29 pixels, while the kaywa one was 33x33. Obviously there is a lot of flexibility in the standard.

titusinigma.png

tituskaywa.png

Edited by Andronicus
I just noticed that different QR generators will produce a different code using the same input.

You can choose between 6 sizes, and each with 4 different levels of error correction. You can also choose between different types of encoding, but I'm not sure if that will change the output significantly.

There is a multi near me that uses the QR code. There is a QR code in the first stage. If you have the app on your phone and successfully decode it, you get the coords to the final. If you don't have the app/smartphone or it just doesn't work, you get the coords to stage 2. Stage 2 had the coords to the final. If you can read the QR code, you end up bypassing stage 2. There is a test QR code on the cache page so you can confirm that your phone will read it correctly. I was able to read it and went straight to the final. The app I used (don't recall which one it was as I tried a couple...) consumed a lot of power on my phone (Blackberry Storm). YMMV...

Here's another type used for the cache: GC2AV28

cmykn.jpg

My phone's QR reader couldnt decode that one.

Check this out. This is my logo turned into a QR code to take you to my profile

My phone's QR reader could decode the smaller version you made, but the larger one with the more prominent layers couldnt be read, so I had to edit in a photo program.

The cool thing is that you can overlay all kinds of graphics and you can resize the QR code as well.

Your G logo could be read by my phone, the other I had to change to black & white to be read.

Here's another type used for the cache: GC2AV28

cmykn.jpg

My phone's QR reader couldnt decode that one.

That's not a QR code. But Google Goggles will tell you exactly what it is. :laughing:

The cool thing is that you can overlay all kinds of graphics and you can resize the QR code as well.
Your G logo could be read by my phone, the other I had to change to black & white to be read.

Refresh your browser and try it again. I tweaked it a bit. When I resized it earlier, I did it in Irfanview and forgot that it munges the image a tad bit. I resized it in photoshop and it seems to be crisper now.

Check this out. This is my logo turned into a QR code to take you to my profile

My phone's QR reader could decode the smaller version you made, but the larger one with the more prominent layers couldnt be read, so I had to edit in a photo program.

I use i-nigma on my HTC touch (Vogue). It works find. QRarts.com has rated verious QR decoder software, and puts i-nigma at the top. It is free, and is available for most (all?) platforms. Other than the decoder app, the other variable is the camera on your phone. Different camera will result in different contrast etc.

I guess when building a QR code, you should use the worst software with the worst phone camera. That way, you can make sure that everyone can read your code.

Edited by Andronicus

Refresh your browser and try it again. I tweaked it a bit. When I resized it earlier, I did it in Irfanview and forgot that it munges the image a tad bit. I resized it in photoshop and it seems to be crisper now.

Ya, that QR code is working alot better now!

Anyone else have a problem with my "cooler" code?

Anyone else have a problem with my "cooler" code?

I can read all the codes in this thread except this the leaf one.

leaf_qr.jpg

I can read it if I tweak the contrast.

A lot depends on the crispness of the image and the contrast between the light background and dark of the actual code.

My HTC Ozone using i-nigma read it as I waved the phone in the general direction of the monitor. Took about a half-second (that's a generalization, I didn't count, but it was very fast).

This is just too cool!! The possibilities....... :laughing:

There's one under the lid of Groundspeak's cache, just for fun.

I think I am going to put one under the lid of all my caches to aid cachers with smart phones in logging on location. It will be the link to the log entry page of the cache.

It took a while, but it pulled up noaa.gov.

It takes you to the mobile hurricane centre. Worked fine on my computer display at work, but not on my laptop at home. hmmmm....

Edited by Andronicus
Has anyone found a site which can read linear bar codes reliably from jpg files taken with a typical poor cell phone camera? Is there a certain technique which yields good results?

I used to have software for it, but don't know of any websites off hand.

ZXing offers the option of uploading but our results have been unsatisfactory so far. My objective is to make a bar code based multi which is accessible to folks without smart phones and without required downloads. It just so happens that my favorite hiding territory is managed by an agency which puts bar codes on everything. :laughing:

Has anyone found a site which can read linear bar codes reliably from jpg files taken with a typical poor cell phone camera? Is there a certain technique which yields good results?

ZXing offers the option of uploading but our results have been unsatisfactory so far. My objective is to make a bar code based multi which is accessible to folks without smart phones and without required downloads. It just so happens that my favorite hiding territory is managed by an agency which puts bar codes on everything. :laughing:

ZXing can be used by people without smart phones for the QR codes. I have not tried takeing pics witha camera and uploading them, but it should work. Just make sure to get a good pic, maybe using the macro mode (you know the flower icon on your camera).

ZXing can be used by people without smart phones for the QR codes.

I'm not sure how you mean here. Could you elaborate?

I have not tried takeing pics witha camera and uploading them, but it should work. Just make sure to get a good pic, maybe using the macro mode (you know the flower icon on your camera).

I actually haven't tried with my "real" camera. We just got smart phones last week and have been trying pictures taken with them. Even though almost everyone has a digital camera these days, a good percentage don't really know how to use them for the best results. I'm shooting for accessibly to everyone but still something different and fun.

ZXing can be used by people without smart phones for the QR codes.

I'm not sure how you mean here. Could you elaborate?

I have not tried takeing pics witha camera and uploading them, but it should work. Just make sure to get a good pic, maybe using the macro mode (you know the flower icon on your camera).

I actually haven't tried with my "real" camera. We just got smart phones last week and have been trying pictures taken with them. Even though almost everyone has a digital camera these days, a good percentage don't really know how to use them for the best results. I'm shooting for accessibly to everyone but still something different and fun.

http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

This page will allow you to upload a pic taken with a "real" camera, and it will decode it. Like I said, I haven't actualy tired it yet, but theoreticaly, it should work.

This page will allow you to upload a pic taken with a "real" camera, and it will decode it. Like I said, I haven't actualy tired it yet, but theoreticaly, it should work.

It works great with the saved QR codes.

I think our problem is picture quality. I'd be really interested if someone could get that to work (thus proving my photography skills lacking). To reiterate, linear bar codes will be my likely targets.

Yeah, that's the one we've tried but unsuccessfully so far.

Maybe the issue is that you are using your phone's camera. If you are using your phone, why not just use a QR app? Most cachers have a digital camera that they always/often/sometimes carry with them. So, just put a note on the cache page stating that they need a mobile phone with a QR app or a camera.

Yeah, that's the one we've tried but unsuccessfully so far.

Maybe the issue is that you are using your phone's camera. If you are using your phone, why not just use a QR app? Most cachers have a digital camera that they always/often/sometimes carry with them. So, just put a note on the cache page stating that they need a mobile phone with a QR app or a camera.

I just used my camera in macro mode (the little flower icon). Worked fine.

dscn6862.jpg

The only trick was I had to shrink the image as ZXing has a size limit on the uploaded image. I just used MS Paint to re-size it. Now I ralize that is a pic of a computer screen, and real paper is something very different, but I think it should work.

I think our problem is picture quality. I'd be really interested if someone could get that to work (thus proving my photography skills lacking). To reiterate, linear bar codes will be my likely targets.

Send me a couple of samples.

Just tried that last one again. Squared up the pic a bit. It worked this time. If you put a QR code in normal black and white, I think that most cameras will be able to get a good pic. If the code is large, macro mode shouldn't be needed. Maybe it isn't on mine, but I used it because I have it. Most digitals do.

dscn6866.jpg

Well, I think my samples are my problem, is the thing.

I have found that my camera does some wierd aliasing thing with the 1D bar codes. Never seem to get a desent 'linear' pic.

Well, I think my samples are my problem, is the thing.

That's why I want you to send them to me. I can see if I can fix them. :laughing:

I just tried the online decoder with a few 1d "normal" barcodes I found on Google images and it worked fine.

I guess the issue with that then would be to get a good picture. I haven't tried my good camera on one, but my phone and my old HP digital do weired things with the bar codes.

I just tried with my "good" camera. Worked fine.

dscn6869o.jpg

But 1D bar codes just don't look as cool!

Edit: I am prety sure that you are going to need a good macro mode to get a 1d bar code to work. Without it you just will not get the zoom you need to differentiate the individual bars.

Edited by Andronicus

That's why I want you to send them to me. I can see if I can fix them. :laughing:

Well, I looked at my samples and being a bit versed in PS, I think there ain't no fixing them :laughing:

Pics are pretty bad, which is why I wondered if it works for anyone else before dragging out the "big gun" (Coolpix5700 :laughing: ).

I figured there'd be a couple dozen folks working up bar code caches right about now :laughing:

... before dragging out the "big gun" (Coolpix5700 :laughing: )....

My "big gun" is a Nikon Coolpix P80 (wide angle 18x UltraZoom, optical stabalization). I love it. I have outpreformed some guys with their SLRs. When they have packed those badboys up 1800m of elevation to the mountain top, and then my small (compaired to their's) camera makes their's look bad, they always ask what model it is. They then say if they had brought all their lenses they could get better pics, but it would be way too much to bring up. :laughing:

You know, even with my 'good' camera, there is some aliasing between some of the bars. That said, I reduced the resolution of the camera to 640x480 when taking that pic (to avoid haveting to reduce the photo size before using zxing). The point is that it is rather touchy due to the small size of the bars. If you are wanting to use that on a cache, make sure the bars and spaces are large.

I think I am going to put one under the lid of all my caches to aid cachers with smart phones in logging on location. It will be the link to the log entry page of the cache.

You can make it even more convenient by adding "&logtype=2" to the end, so that it defaults to "Found It".

I learned that from one of dfx's posts.

You can make it even more convenient by adding "&logtype=2" to the end, so that it defaults to "Found It".

I learned that from one of dfx's posts.

That is sweet. Will have to remember that one.

Problem is those who don't have a QR App. Can you actually put those on not-so-smart phones?

Yes. But it depends on which not-so-smart phone you have.

Any phone that will run Java apps will do, I think.

Check it out. It will tell you if your phone is compatible.

BTW, it's nice of you to check on your baby, finally. :laughing:

*** Might be nice if I included the link, eh? http://reader.kaywa.com/getit

Edited by GeoBain