Terrain rating for mixed terrain

Hello!

I have a cache that I have not yet submitted. I'm thinking of what terrain rating should I put. First 30 minutes of the hike are very though - high inclination (about 25%), heavy overgrowth (but with visible trail), walking on a railroad (dangerous!). I think of it like a terrain 4 stars. However the rest of the route to the cache is fairly easy - walking on a ground track with no inclination or hazards - like terrain 2.

How should the terrain rating be calculated? Average of all terrain parts or take the higher rating of all parts?

Hello!

I have a cache that I have not yet submitted. I'm thinking of what terrain rating should I put. First 30 minutes of the hike are very though - high inclination (about 25%), heavy overgrowth (but with visible trail), walking on a railroad (dangerous!). I think of it like a terrain 4 stars. However the rest of the route to the cache is fairly easy - walking on a ground track with no inclination or hazards - like terrain 2.

How should the terrain rating be calculated? Average of all terrain parts or take the higher rating of all parts?

I would take the higher rating of all parts and include your description above (or some version) on the cache page.

It's my understanding that cache terrain ratings are determined by the hardest part of the terrain, even if it's only for a short period.

If the path to the cache is flat for a mile but you need to risk your life for the last fifteen feet, you rate it for those fifteen feet.

From the ClayJar rating system.

Answer the following questions based on the most difficult parts of the cache:

But it also says...

How is the the most difficult part of the cache? If the cache is within a few feet of a trail, don't worry about the last few feet.

I think the part about the last few feet should be removed because it confuses the difference between terrain difficulty and hide difficulty but it is what it is and greatly appreciated.

I would use the most difficult section to determine the rating.

As a side note, you mentioned walking along a RR. This is trespassing (at least in the US) Caches that require or encourage trespassing won't be published. If your country's laws are different then it could be OK, but you might want to check with your reviewer ahead of time.

Edited by briansnat

The terrain rating is there to help people figure out what caches they are physically able to do and interested in before they go out there. If the first chunk of your walk is terrain 4, it doesn't matter about the rest, because someone who can't DO terrain 4 isn't going to be able to get there. So yes, you rate the cache for the worst part of the trip.

When I look for caches my mom can do I know what terrain ratings to look for. Some people won't rate the terrain based on the worst part of the trip. So we could waste a day driving out and getting essentially out to caches that she's unable to complete because the last however many feet is a much higher terrain rating than the rest of it. I remember one we went on that yeah the trail was only 1.5, but then you got to a big rock climb that was difficult that she had no chance to do to get to the cache. Wasted a lot of time driving to that one and walking to it only to realize the owner low balled the terrain. That's very frustrating. Second to that are those who cache on ATV and give caches a 1 or 1.5 terrain rating because they can get to it on ATV easily.

Rate it for the worst part of the trip so that those looking for it can figure out if they are able to do it or if they should focus their energy else where.

Hello!

I agree with those who say the rating should take into account the entire path and be based on the hardest part.

Awhile ago, I was looking for a cache with a 4 terrain rating. It was close to a well maintained bike path, in a small woods with little underbrush. I was trying to figure out what place near GZ would result in such a rating. While I was standing there, a pair of cache hunters came by. When I said I was trying to figure out where a 4 T cache could be, one of them looked up. He spotted the cache about 20feet up in the tree I was standing near. He quickly climbed up and brought the cache down, then he climbed back and returned it the the hiding spot.

I have encountered caches with a 1 rating but the hide is too high up for a 5' 4" person to reach without climbing on the railings of a shelter or bringing a step ladder. I think the ease of an average height adult reaching the cache without climbing should also be considered in the terrain rating.

I have a question of my own. I recently adopted a cache. The previous owner had a 1.5 Terrain on the cache. I think this rating may be a bit low, even for dry conditions, because of the amount of underbrush you have to go through after you leave a good trail. This cache is in a flood plain. When I checked on the cache today, I could see it but I did not try to reach it. The cache was high and dry but there was water under it. I did not measure the depth of the water - it looked like a foot or two deep.

I do not know how many weeks each year there is such high water directly under the cache. I am thinking of pushing the terrain rating up to a 3.5 with a note saying it is based on the difficulty of getting to it when the water is high. --Kate2009