Puzzle Cache with only one find in 9 months -

I'd tackle it reluctantly. Unless I misunderstood the premise (check: E=15 ?), this looks like a looong internet research job.

Yeah E could be 15.

I tried the puzzle. There are 3 aircraft I dont know, but then again I dont know all aircraft. I messaged the owner. We will see if I am right so far.

EYE DEE MEE GC1K291

At least I can see what needs to be done to solve it. If it was around here, I'd probably do the research. There's some puzzles around here that I can't even figure out what needs to be done or how to start. One's gone unfound for 6 months. (GC2335G)

I don't see a geochecker. a lot of people won't bother on puzzles without one. evince is a good one.

It's there.

I think Clan Riffster hit the nail on the head about the PHW ratio. There just might not be a lot of PHWs in your area. I will say that as a PHW I don't typically even look at the difficulty rating.

I know nothing about aircraft but had a good time solving this puzzle. If I'm ever in the area .... :)

now how did i miss that.

A good puzzle... Anyone else think there should be a 'Solved It! ' log type for us long distance solvers and those who do them off season when the snow is piled up and falliing down to much... (and I mean AVALANCHE Season).

Enjoyed it... Thanks!

Doug 7rxc

I just wanted to say that this is a very nice puzzle. My hubby had fun helping me with this one, whereas I went the google images/research route with my limited knowledge. I am only missing two, K and N, after an hour or so of working (though without hubby, would have taken me twice that long I'm sure.) I think that the puzzle isn't TOO hard and certainly wouldn't call it obtuse... I'd guess that it's a demographic thing as others have noted. I'll be watching this one :blink:

No. Solve an online puzzle get a smilie is some other game.

No back at ya... :) I just meant what I said... a type of log NOTE... to be used only for marking that

someone had solved the puzzle... just like we now use regular "Write Note" option. NO SMILEY.

I solve puzzles all winter and when time allows, mostly here... but I have no problem with validating (proving they can be solved) puzzles from anywhere if there are questions about that. Not solutions, just validation of the puzzle. I often leave a note to the CO as in this case... and on the Cache Page... and I'm fine if they delete that after a while if they want. Here, I use a note to reserve a place in line while I prepare for a trip to bag the cache... I'm planning on collecting a few this weekend near Cranbrook.

I'd agree that it is probably not needed since one can use a simple note... I just thought that being a puzzle, only, that it would be a nice option so it was more obvious that it could be solved. Nothing more.

Got to run... I'm monitoring a SAR thing that is escalating and may have to go out... maybe not... another find awaiting us... sigh!

Doug 7rxc

I just wanted to say that this is a very nice puzzle. My hubby had fun helping me with this one, whereas I went the google images/research route with my limited knowledge. I am only missing two, K and N, after an hour or so of working (though without hubby, would have taken me twice that long I'm sure.) I think that the puzzle isn't TOO hard and certainly wouldn't call it obtuse... I'd guess that it's a demographic thing as others have noted. I'll be watching this one :)

I have gone to some puzzle caches and some seem designed for a specific audience, i.e. obscure computer language, for locals in the area, etc...that's fine and I respect that, but my favorite part about geocaching is being outside, not inside solving puzzles, so I haven't done any near me. I think you'll be getting a lot more visitors since you posted this. I looked at it and admire the thought and work that went into it.

Posted my note...WOOT!! And thanks for the hints (although they were ultimately of no use :):(:( ).

What the blazes is that thing??

Now that I've done it, IMHO the puzzle is rated correctly...a couple are a bit trickier than they seem at first, but once you get going it's easy to follow in your footsteps and get the groove going. Maybe CR is right (don't quote me there) and puzzles just aren't popular here. Or, a few gave it a try, gave up or got distracted and never came back to it. Same's happened to me a couple of times. But it is a very good puzzle, hope all our "solved it" notes spur some more interest.

Cheers!

I just wanted to say that this is a very nice puzzle. My hubby had fun helping me with this one, whereas I went the google images/research route with my limited knowledge. I am only missing two, K and N, after an hour or so of working (though without hubby, would have taken me twice that long I'm sure.) I think that the puzzle isn't TOO hard and certainly wouldn't call it obtuse... I'd guess that it's a demographic thing as others have noted. I'll be watching this one :)

I have gone to some puzzle caches and some seem designed for a specific audience, i.e. obscure computer language, for locals in the area, etc...that's fine and I respect that, but my favorite part about geocaching is being outside, not inside solving puzzles, so I haven't done any near me. I think you'll be getting a lot more visitors since you posted this. I looked at it and admire the thought and work that went into it.

I consider solving puzzle caches (from home) and finding geocaches to be mutually exclusive activities. I only have a limited amount of time available when I can go outside and find geocaches, so when I get that free time I'm going to spend it looking for geocaches rather than solving puzzles. However, I have quite a bit of free time at home when I can't get outside and look for caches, but I can spend that time solving puzzles.

A lot of those puzzles require learning about an obscure code or language, some topic for which I had no previous knowledge, or are in some way educational. I know literally nothing about types of aircraft (don't tell my father; he's a pilot) but after solving that puzzle I'd at least know a little more.

A good puzzle... Anyone else think there should be a 'Solved It! ' log type for us long distance solvers and those who do them off season when the snow is piled up and falliing down to much... (and I mean AVALANCHE Season).

Enjoyed it... Thanks!

Doug 7rxc

No smilie, but here is an online puzzle that seems to never end.Clever Waste of Time

Enjoyed it... Thanks!

Doug 7rxc

No smilie, but here is an online puzzle that seems to never end.Clever Waste of Time

Speaking of clever wastes of time, awhile back there was a puzzle cache discussed here that involved asking questions on a web site with Signal the Frog on it. It was essentially an artificial intelligence bot that, I'm guessing, if you asked exactly the right question it would tell you the coordinates for the final. The last time I looked it the cache page it had not yet been solved.

Saw this in the forums and figured I would check it out. As an active USAF member stationed in South Dakota, I made my way with the majority of these rather easily. We were having a base exercise, So I decided this was a perfect project while in the command center in MOPP 4 (wearing gas mask, etc). K and N took a bit more searching as I was not familiar with either. For O, I questioned whether it was operational or not. But quickly deciphered that one. I think your difficulty is right on, and it is a very well designed cache. If I was to change anything at all, I would adjust K and N to American aircraft to keep the theme of it together.

Too bad I am in SD, or else I would surely have grab this one as a nice find. Great Job!!.

OK, I was driving near the area today and made a side trip to get this one...Keep in mind it is 100 degrees in Alabama these days. Got to the area and walked over a great old bridge that is out of service. The GPS pointed me about 75 feet off the trail - only problem is that 75 feet off the trail is 100 feet down. Scrambled/slid down the hill and thrashed through the poison ivy along the way. There were a number of places to hide a cache at the bottom, but nothing close to the "confirmed" coordinates. Looked for 30 minutes at everything nearby including a pedestrian bridge with no luck.

Oh well, such is geocaching.

The only suggestion I have is to indicate what to look for. If this is an ammo can that is one thing, or if this is a micro, it's another. When out in the boonies with "No Service" on the phone, no access to the site, and iffy coords, any suggestion is greatly appreciated! :laughing:

Thanks for a great cache - I'm sure it's there, but I couldn't find it today. Crawled back up the hill, sweaty, mosquito bitten, and tired to log my DNF...

I'm going to be checking this out this weekend. I modified the hint and moved the description of the container from the hint to the main body of the cache page.

I'd be more than a little embarrassed to discover the container has been carried off by rabid hamsters after somebody took the time to solve the puzzle.

I'm taking a spare ammo can with me in case it has been abducted by aliens.

Thanks to everybody that made suggestions and gave feedback!

Hello, my name is Castle Mischief (hello, Castle Mischief) and I have a puzzle cache that has had only one finder in about nine months:

EYE DEE MEE GC1K291

Published 10/15/09. One finder on 10/16/09. Zero DNF logs.

I'm starting to have my doubts about this one. Was it too obtuse? Was the location all wrong? Did I pick the wrong font...?

Any thoughts as to how I could make this a more active cache (sans "archive and replace with a traditional cache") or any constructive comments are greatly welcome.

Is this just to be expected in the life of a puzzle cache?

The puzzle doesn't look that difficult. I was able to get a couple of the numbers without any research. I don't know about Alabama, but in Nebraska interest wanes rapidly on puzzle caches that have already been found. There are 3 x 5-5 caches in Lincoln that stirred up a hornet's nest (F-18 = A) of activity when they were first posted, one is mine, but after there is an FTF the others give up on the toughies and opt for the cash and dash variety which frankly bore me. Try archiving it and then re-releasing it in a slightly changed format and see what hapens.

guyfromdenver stuck in Lincoln!

Check out:

GC28MMQ

GC1WV6G

GC27HR6

(...and I just noticed that I left the "r" off of "your" in the title. Crud.)