I feel bad

Ecylram

Today, I recommended the archival and move of an active cache. Why? Because it's located on the grounds of an elementary school and is a stones throw away from the building.

My understanding is that Geocaching guidelines prohibit cache placements near elementary & middle schools. Also, I recall a case in our greater metropolitan area where a school was evacuated and a bomb squad was called due to a geocache.

Did I do the right thing or should I have handled it differently? I feel particularly bad as this is the very first cache that was placed by this family.

Today, I recommended the archival and move of an active cache. Why? Because it's located on the grounds of an elementary school and is a stones throw away from the building.

My understanding is that Geocaching guidelines prohibit cache placements near elementary & middle schools. Also, I recall a case in our greater metropolitan area where a school was evacuated and a bomb squad was called due to a geocache.

Did I do the right thing or should I have handled it differently? I feel particularly bad as this is the very first cache that was placed by this family.

You did the right thing. Some people would recommend sending a private email to the CO about your concerns, but I think a SBA is appropriate. If this cache is indeed close enough to a school to possibly cause a scare, it should be brought to the immediate attention of a reviewer.

The guidelines state:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):...

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports...

If you feel that you did the right thing then you did the right thing.

Personally, I find the terrorism theatre that is being played out in the US ridiculous. I grew up in the UK under the constant threat of IRA bombings and back then (although not any more) the general response was "be vigilant, but don't be afraid". I was too close for my liking to several different bombings but people didn't let them stop them. After all, if the people are terrorised the terrorists have at least succeeded to some extent.

Personally I would question 1) Was the cache placed by a member of staff at the elementary school? 2) Was it placed with explicit permission from a responsible party at the elementary school?

For example, perhaps a teacher also geocaches and so as a class project had a class create a geocache and place it with the full knowledge and permission of the principal. In this case why would anyone be concerned about the cache?

Just my 2p.

Z.

Huh. You probably left before the paedophile craze hit the UK. England is the only place I've ever been chased out of a public park by a pack of jeering, hooting feral children. Wasn't even a school; just a small bit of public land with a duck pond.

We're a harmless, gray-haired couple in late middle age. But I had a camera around my neck, so they decided we were there to take pervy pictures of their scabby selves.

My least favorite caching experience ever.

Maybe folks should mind their own business and stop playing cache police. As for security, police bomb squads are constantly blowing up Geocaches. It's mostly an excuse to play with some of the cool bomb disposal equipment recently purchased from their bloated Homeland Security budgets. I'll shut up now... :laughing:

Personally I would question 1) Was the cache placed by a member of staff at the elementary school? 2) Was it placed with explicit permission from a responsible party at the elementary school?

For example, perhaps a teacher also geocaches and so as a class project had a class create a geocache and place it with the full knowledge and permission of the principal. In this case why would anyone be concerned about the cache?

In much of the United States, visitors are required to go into the office and acquire a visitor's badge when school is in session, even before or after school hours. Most schools react defensively when they see a stranger on the grounds, particularly strange adults.

If a geocacher goes to find that particular cache, imagine what he/she would look like to a muggle teacher. Strange adult, wandering around in circles ("drunken bee dance" phase of the hunt), with some device in their hand, and more than likely dressed in a rather unconventional manner (hiking boots, backpack, etc). Even if there are no children present, it is going to concern parents and administrators that there are people coming onto school grounds-- regardless if permission was granted for the cache placement.

I think a teacher would rather follow Geocaching guidelines when teaching kids about caching, instead of creating a potential hazard on their campus. After all, we've all read about the stupid things people leave as swag... Do we need fourth graders getting their hands on firecrackers/condoms/drugs/etc?

IMHO, it's not a good placement for a geocache.

Huh. You probably left before the paedophile craze hit the UK. England is the only place I've ever been chased out of a public park by a pack of jeering, hooting feral children. Wasn't even a school; just a small bit of public land with a duck pond.

We're a harmless, gray-haired couple in late middle age. But I had a camera around my neck, so they decided we were there to take pervy pictures of their scabby selves.

My least favorite caching experience ever.

Probably... And from what I've heard since I'm glad I'm not there [;)] I left in 1999... But I was in Middlesbrough when the IRA blew up a litter bin, killing two kids, and when they tried to blow up a gasometer. I was in Manchester the day that they blew up the Corn Exchange... Sorry about your unfortunate incident with some kids. Personally I would have tried to throw them all into the pond if they did that to me. :laughing:

Z.

In much of the United States, visitors are required to go into the office and acquire a visitor's badge when school is in session, even before or after school hours. Most schools react defensively when they see a stranger on the grounds, particularly strange adults.

In my Neighbourhood (Portland, Oregon) I can think of five (5) Elementary and Middle Schools that border on public parks without trying. Each and every one of those has NO fences between the "school grounds" and the "public park". So, if I visit a public park that is beside a school should I go into the school, find the office (after walking around lost for a while because I went in via the wrong door) and get a visitor's badge just in case I cross the invisible boundary between school and park? Would it be more or less dubious for me to wander around in a school or in a public park?

I think the most important question about this situation is "WAS THE CACHE PLACED WITH PERMISSION?" If not then it should be removed because it was improperly placed. If so then it should be left where it is because it can be there.

Z.

1) You've been in the game less than a month

2) You're having second thoughts about what you did.

To me, that suggests you might have found a different approach. Like contacting the owner, who is also new. You might have had a friendly discussion where you both learned something.

I'm not saying the cache did NOT need archiving. Just saying you might have been a little quick to decide you know the rules better than the hider or the reviewer. I don't think there was any great risk in letting the cache stay there a little longer while you explored the possibilities.

I would like to see the cache page.

If it is on school property then it needs proper permission. I have done and seen ones on school property. They were used for a middle school geography lessons done by TB tracking. Was a permission statement on the cache description page? A N/A log should be used as a last resort after some investigation.

1) You've been in the game less than a month

2) You're having second thoughts about what you did.

To me, that suggests you might have found a different approach. Like contacting the owner, who is also new. You might have had a friendly discussion where you both learned something.

I'm not saying the cache did NOT need archiving. Just saying you might have been a little quick to decide you know the rules better than the hider or the reviewer. I don't think there was any great risk in letting the cache stay there a little longer while you explored the possibilities.

Since I am new I'm concerned about all my reactions to involving interactions with other Geocachers. We're still getting familiar with the culture and etiquette. If I run across this situation again I believe I'm in agreement with you regarding sending an email. I just saw the spot this afternoon where you can do that.

I would like to see the cache page.

If it is on school property then it needs proper permission. I have done and seen ones on school property. They were used for a middle school geography lessons done by TB tracking. Was a permission statement on the cache description page? A N/A log should be used as a last resort after some investigation.

I don't wish to publicly post the name of the cache as this is still up in the air. But...I've sent the information to you via email.

Regarding the permission issue, my understanding of the guidlines is that elementary school placements are not to be done even with approval of the school. I understand this as parents dropping their kids off at school aren't going to know about the agreement and may decide to call the police, etc.

I reserve the needs archiving for when there are serious cache issues. I figure the reviewer already looks to see if the cache falls within guidelines. I may not place a cache in kids park let alone one by a school but apparently this person did. I don't need to be the cache police for that stuff.

In my Neighbourhood (Portland, Oregon) I can think of five (5) Elementary and Middle Schools that border on public parks without trying. Each and every one of those has NO fences between the "school grounds" and the "public park". So, if I visit a public park that is beside a school should I go into the school, find the office (after walking around lost for a while because I went in via the wrong door) and get a visitor's badge just in case I cross the invisible boundary between school and park? Would it be more or less dubious for me to wander around in a school or in a public park?

I think the most important question about this situation is "WAS THE CACHE PLACED WITH PERMISSION?" If not then it should be removed because it was improperly placed. If so then it should be left where it is because it can be there.

Z.

The opposite side of this elementary school (north side) meets this description. There is no clear defining line. There is a cache in that park but it is on the far side of the park, about a block away. The cache in question is not on the park side borders home fences.

I commented on the permission question in another post, I will add that there is no mention in the post that the cache was placed with permission or has any relationship to the school.