GSAK

EDIT: ARGH. Sorry mods, I meant to post this in the "GPS & Technology" forum and didn't realize I'd accidently clicked in the wrong forum until too late. Please move. Thanks & Sorry.

I've heard good things about Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK). Unfortunately, I find the program a bit overwhelming.

I've started using PQs and found GSAK useful to combine them and remove caches that are probably gone (i.e. all recent logs are DNFs).

However, I get them impression with all the menu options that there is far more I could be doing with GSAK but I'm not really sure what.

So what what's the coolest or most useful thing you use GSAK for?

Edited by joshism

You can download poi's to a Garmin Nuvi.....kinda a cheap way to go paperless.

You can create cool profile charts using some macro's that are out there (check my profile page).

You can print out a one page backup list ....sorta looks like Excel format.....just in case your gps blows up while out on the road.

And best of all...you can make a list IN ORDER....sort of a route....by adding a column of USER SORT....and numbering the caches you plan on finding.

You cannot get it to get your slippers.....at least not yet. :huh:

GSAK is an extremely powerful piece of software... the sort that you can grow into. Start simply (as you apparently have been) and just continue to add to your knowledge. The interface is pretty complex and often confusing, but take time to look at all of the options on the various screens and menus.

The pre-written macros (available in GSAK's website) are a very easy way to get access to some of the power in the program, as well as provide jumping off points for your own macros, should you want to get in to that sort of thing.

Start with GSAK as it comes straight out of the box. That lets you build a database of local caches and record your finds. Then you can add automatic colours to the database entries to highlight your DNFs, caches that are temporarily unavailable, or for any other reason you want to distinguish them.

It can then filter your cache entries to download particular sets to your GPSr before you go out caching.

Adding buttons to the toolbar is the first step in customising it to better meet your needs. Then add macros to add extra tools to it.

Many people use the FindStats macro to create detailed charts of their finds (as I do - see my geocaching profile).

Yes it does seem very complicated when you first use it. This is because it is so versatile. I have been using it for 2 years and I am still finding new ways to tweak it!

Do look at the help file, and GSAK 101 etc tutorials. I printed them out and found them invaluable as reference guides. Keep an eye on the GSAK forum - I still find macros being mentioned that I hadn't heard about before, and the forum users are all very helpful in building your skills.

Best of luck!!

Chris

Corrected coordinates (for puzzles and occasionally multis) and to store notes. Macros to store the correct sets of geocaches for my Nuvi and Oregon. It's the center of my entire geocaching dataflow.

GSAK is not perfect, but there's nothing else that comes close. It does pretty much anything except go out and find the cache for you.

Well for one thing, it has a great macro for automatically creating a populated google earth map. I find that pretty sweet.

Also it will show you recent logs and this can make it easier to remove caches with several recent DNFs.

Additionally, when it comes to logging your finds/DNFs after an outing, just double click on the GSAK entry and it will take you to the GC page for the cache from which you can easily click to the log your find page.

You can sort the GSAK database on just about every column I believe. This can be useful if you want to sort them north to south for example. Then you print the database listing. GSAK does have an abreviated print function but when we have used it, it really doesn't reduce the paper all that much.

You can get a Cachemate/Palm compatible file of paperless with a click or two.

Really the list is almost endless. Good stuff for the serious geocacher.

Have specific questions? Email me and I'll help as much as possible.

Edited by Team Cotati

If you have a mis-shaped area that can be represented by a multi-sided polygon, if you know the corner points, you can either include or exclude caches inside the polygon. Think state park.

Thanks. I've always wondered about that.

I tend to get the results that I need by using the standard radius type searches. While these might return a few more than optimum, I just remove those that are outside the park or simply do not hunt for them. This is one great use for the google earth maps.

Might have to give the old polygon a closer look though.

Matthew makes an excellent point by mentioning the filters. Learn the filters... loads of power there! And don't overlook the Polygon filters tab while you're learning!

I have heard about those polygon filters. What is the main benefit of using those?

I've used it to isolate caches on only one side of a river. I've also used it for cache along a route (not a polygon, but a line).

Additionally, when it comes to logging your finds/DNFs after an outing, just double click on the GSAK entry and it will take you to the GC page for the cache from which you can easily click to the log your find page.

Here's a neat trick for you to try: After a day of caching (and assuming you are marking your caches Found as you go), plug your GPSr in and use the GPS/Receive Waypoints option, then set the filter to show only those caches that you found.

Matthew makes an excellent point by mentioning the filters. Learn the filters... loads of power there! And don't overlook the Polygon filters tab while you're learning!

I have heard about those polygon filters. What is the main benefit of using those?

I've used it to isolate caches on only one side of a river. I've also used it for cache along a route (not a polygon, but a line).

That sounds really cool. I tend to use the geocachging.com Cache Along a Route feature for getting caches along a route. Seems to work fairly well for The Team.

Yeah now that river thing, that sounds pretty sweet.

Gotta love that GSAK thingy.

Great example of a park: Busse Woods is in Schaumburg, Illinois - here's a map:

44bb7c23-8c31-4a07-95b0-01f9d7356e54.jpg

The purple area is a 2.11 mile circle(ish) around a decent center point of park (you can see a center cul-de-sac circle almost like a bullseye). The yellow line is an approximation of the park border.

If I queried the 2.11 mile radius of caches, I would get 129 caches. But inside that polygon - inside the actual boundaries of the park - there are only 62 caches. So by knowing that I SPECIFICALLY wanted only the caches in the park, I eliminate over half of the caches. Using the polygon search.

I also do some other GPS activities (Geodashing) and have many times traveled to my in-laws house from Chicago, and then sometimes down to Orlando. To weed out the points, I created this polygon on Streets and Trips:

6d388801-9c4f-4f22-8e45-56e8420092cd.jpg

It's an approximation of 100 mile circle from my house, with a stretch down I-57 to I-24, and then I-75 from Chattanooga to Orlando. But I also put the extra "arm" going up I65 from Nashville to Gary, Indiana as a possibility.

This just shows the idea of polygons - you can then include or exclude the caches (or other GPS points) based on this polygon's borders.

Great example of a park: Busse Woods is in Schaumburg, Illinois - here's a map:

44bb7c23-8c31-4a07-95b0-01f9d7356e54.jpg

The purple area is a 2.11 mile circle(ish) around a decent center point of park (you can see a center cul-de-sac circle almost like a bullseye). The yellow line is an approximation of the park border.

If I queried the 2.11 mile radius of caches, I would get 129 caches. But inside that polygon - inside the actual boundaries of the park - there are only 62 caches. So by knowing that I SPECIFICALLY wanted only the caches in the park, I eliminate over half of the caches. Using the polygon search.

I also do some other GPS activities (Geodashing) and have many times traveled to my in-laws house from Chicago, and then sometimes down to Orlando. To weed out the points, I created this polygon on Streets and Trips:

6d388801-9c4f-4f22-8e45-56e8420092cd.jpg

It's an approximation of 100 mile circle from my house, with a stretch down I-57 to I-24, and then I-75 from Chattanooga to Orlando. But I also put the extra "arm" going up I65 from Nashville to Gary, Indiana as a possibility.

This just shows the idea of polygons - you can then include or exclude the caches (or other GPS points) based on this polygon's borders.

Man, that is a very helpful piece of information. The Team has been on several outings in the past where using that filtering method would have been extremely helpful.

Thanks again.