who looks more crazy, geocachers, or bluetooth users?

just curious, do people avoid you in the city when you geocache? do you look as crazed bent over shoulder deep in that bush as someone apparently talking to themselves with both hands while they use their bluetooth?

I think the Bell Dinger's proposed the same question. He went away, by the way. :laughing:

If I am urban caching, I try to have a clip board with me. I hold it while looking around and occasionally pretend to write in it as if I am inspecting something.

There is always the lost keys excuse if your in some bushes.

If I am biking on a trail, or hiking, I will often act as if I am revealing my self.

If its a lock and lock or glad ware, and there are other people on the trail or near by, I will take out a snack and act like the lock and lock has my lunch in it, and I am stopping for a bite.

If I am searching for a bit, and a muggle walks by, I put the hose from my camel pack in my mouth and just make like I am just taking a break and getting a drink.

And then I do not even mind the muggles. Most of the time they don't care anyway.

One of my caches is a galvanized walk socket blank with magnets on the side of an AC unit on the side of an office building. One of the people who found it said he put on a hard hat, orange high viz vest, took a clip board, and walked up to it like he was inspecting it. Pretended like his GPS was a phone on when people walked by.

specially the ones that do it to look like they're important and they work at some burger joint. rofl.

But there are more odd thing to see:

Here in sweden we have good support for people with illness and retardments of the mental kind. They are treated good, but then people speak to them selves a few a the "not yet diagnosed" can get a little annoyed. In the latest year some of the "diagnosed" have been doing a new thing. They get a unconnected bluetooth headset and can then speak with them selves with out most "ordinary" people noticing. I think it´s really cool that it works so good and that they can solve the problem that easy.

I was thinking about this very thing last weekend, and here are my impressions: because of my proximity to Manhattan, I cache there as well the suburbs of Long Island, so I'm in a good position to see how behavior varies between urban, suburb and rural settings. I've generally noticed if you're in the city, nobody so much as gives you a second look. I was looking for a fake rock at a busy intersection for nearly 30 minutes once and I swear I could have been invisible. It's pretty funny.

Out on the suburbs of Long Island, it's quite a different story. I had my life threatened once by a neighbor while looking for a micro on a dead end street, and it seems everywhere I go, I get cold hard nasty looking stares. It's creepy and it really takes the fun out of geocaching. Just this last weekend, one guy literally drove in a circle around me while staring the whole time before driving off. I hadn't even started looking for the cache yet, I was just looking for a place to park! :)

It could be Long Islanders are just bipolar schizos (which they are), because I've never noticed this kind of hostility elsewhere in my travels.

Edited by LincolnAdams

If I am urban caching, I try to have a clip board with me. I hold it while looking around and occasionally pretend to write in it as if I am inspecting something.

If I am biking on a trail, or hiking, I will often act as if I am revealing my self.

If its a lock and lock or glad ware, and there are other people on the trail or near by, I will take out a snack and act like the lock and lock has my lunch in it, and I am stopping for a bite.

If I am searching for a bit, and a muggle walks by, I put the hose from my camel pack in my mouth and just make like I am just taking a break and getting a drink.

And then I do not even mind the muggles. Most of the time they don't care anyway.

One of my caches is a galvanized walk socket blank with magnets on the side of an AC unit on the side of an office building. One of the people who found it said he put on a hard hat, orange high viz vest, took a clip board, and walked up to it like he was inspecting it. Pretended like his GPS was a phone on when people walked by.

Please please please tell me this was a typo...

Please please please tell me this was a typo...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :):laughing::laughing: