Is there a USB capable GPSr under $100?

jmgarner01

Hi All,

New to the hobby and am looking for an entry level GPRr for my son and I to use. I have a TomTom One that I've set up to go paperless, but even with Offroad Navigator, it leaves a lot to be desired for actually finding the cache. Good for driving there and reference though.

Something like a Etrex H would be perfect, but the need for a serial port or converter cable puts me off. I'm also very tempted by the Geomate Jr., but I'm afraid that something will happen to the company, or the product will eventually be discontinued and no more updates will be available.

I'm looking for unit that is basic, like the Etrex H, but supports USB, like the Venture HC. The Venture HC is just a little more than I can afford right now. Is there a unit out there that I'm missing that doesn't offer much more than a compass and the ability to D/L .loc and .gpx files?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by BlueRajah

Depending on your sons age and if it primarily for geocaching

Check into the Geomate Jr.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm really attracted to the simplicity of that unit especially as it meshes nicely with my auto GPS. I'm just afraid that it'll be discontinued or the manufacturer will go under and it'll be useless once the last update gets stale. I'd love to think that it they would update it to support pocket queries or .LOC files were that to happen, but I'm just gunshy after having bought cool tech with proprietary service before. (Anybody remember Sportbrain?)

We have the jr for the kids and it's great for them but I understand your concern (we haven't bought the update kit yet...I want to find a way to make my own). What about looking on Craigslist or in local pawnshops? I just started gc'ing and have only used my iPhone but will be looking into buying a GPSr soon!

Good Luck!

Teamkayash

When i started caching,

I got a garmin etrex legend H for $90 bucks on sale after xmas. :blink:

ebay may have good deals,depending on how high end you go.

as for the geomate,it is a Groundspeak product i think.

so little chance it will be discontinued anytime soon.and it is a good starter GPSr for a child.

Bass Pro has the Garmin Venture on sale right now.

I bought mine new last week for $119, whats 20 bucks...

The Venture HC and Legend H are usually available for around $120 if you shop around.

I personally would avoid the Geomate Jr because it contains a sampling of caches in any given area and the data is stale the minute it leaves the assembly line. When you add in the cost of the upgrade kit you might have well purchased a full featured unit.

Those are the least expensive new units I'm aware of with USB connectivity.

A while ago Ebay had some refurb Venture HCs for $80 and you should be able to pick up a used one on Ebay, Craigslist or in the GPS Garage Sale forum here for under $100. Be careful though. There are older eTrex Venture and Legend models that do not have USB connectivity. Make sure it is a Legend H or Venture HC