EarthCache Masters

Rigger64

I was just wondering if the could be another EC Masters for logging Say 6 or so earth caches in one state for some of us that find it very dificalt to try to get to another state?

It would be a 8-10Hr trip by car for me to get another EC in the next state.

I live in Seaford, Melbourne,Victoria, Australia. & my nearest would by Tas, S.A or NSW.

Which is a big trip as i don't get much time to travle around.

My preposal would by someting like Aluminum Masters for loging say 6 EC's in your home State.

What is the opinion of the of the forum??

It took me a few years to get all the geographic requirements to become a Platinum Earthcache Master. It's not meant to be easy.

It's unfortunate that you don't have much time to travel around, but perhaps the Earthcache Masters program isn't a reasonable goal for you right now.

I was just wondering if the could be another EC Masters for logging Say 6 or so earth caches in one state for some of us that find it very dificalt to try to get to another state?

It would be a 8-10Hr trip by car for me to get another EC in the next state.

I live in Seaford, Melbourne,Victoria, Australia. & my nearest would by Tas, S.A or NSW.

Which is a big trip as i don't get much time to travle around.

My preposal would by someting like Aluminum Masters for loging say 6 EC's in your home State.

What is the opinion of the of the forum??

Looxury - when I was a lad....

In Victoria at least you can drive to South Australia; NSW or ACT. That's three extra states giving you scope to getting to Gold Masters.

In NZ there are only two "states", North and South Island. An cacher from Auckland would need to drive 8 hours and then have to spend $300 to get his car across the Cook Strait. To get anywhere beyond Bronze Masters, a Kiwi has to fork out for international air travel. (But then consider the poor Hawaiian)?

It does seem to be much easier for someone on the continents to bag their Masters awards. I would have though that someone in New England in the USA or the low countries in Europe could probably bag their find requirements in a day.

But I'm not sure how you could make it more equitable.

Looxury - when I was a lad....

In Victoria at least you can drive to South Australia; NSW or ACT. That's three extra states giving you scope to getting to Gold Masters.

In NZ there are only two "states", North and South Island. An cacher from Auckland would need to drive 8 hours and then have to spend $300 to get his car across the Cook Strait. To get anywhere beyond Bronze Masters, a Kiwi has to fork out for international air travel. (But then consider the poor Hawaiian)?

It does seem to be much easier for someone on the continents to bag their Masters awards. I would have though that someone in New England in the USA or the low countries in Europe could probably bag their find requirements in a day.

But I'm not sure how you could make it more equitable.

It was just a thought that i thew ot there to see what others thoughts were.

Yes the people living in the Northern Hemisphere it might be easyer to achive but for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere it is a lot harder! & as for the Kiwi's well it is ni on imposable.

Yes the people living in the Northern Hemisphere it might be easyer to achive but for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere it is a lot harder! & as for the Kiwi's well it is ni on imposable.

By the way - "geoaware" who represents the Powers That Be (PTB) on this forum is away on holiday so you probably won't get an "official" answer unless you bring this up again towards the end of the month.

Your generalization of the Northern Hemisphere is quite incorrect! Perhaps you should be more specific and say Europe or United States rather. I live in the Northern Hemisphere and perhaps worse off than what you are. Apart from my own Earthcaches in my country [which incidently were the first and only in the Middle East for some time] I had 1 other EC to visit when somebody kindly developed one. The next 2 years has seen one of my neighbouring countries getting an EC.

Why don't you concentrate on developing Earthcaches in your area in the meanwhile and this will encourage others to do the same? At one stage I had many more EC's that I had developed than what I had found. You need to adapt to the situation that you find yourself in. Think about and ask yourself "What can I do to change this situation?" If you want to see an example about somebody who did just that then take a look at the profile of Carbon Hunter and see his EC's as examples.

I trust that this will give you some food for thought and when I am in the Melbourne area [which should be later this year] I will have a few Rigger64 Earthcaches to choose from.

Yep - it is diffcult - as cincol has mentioned.

Especially when one lives in a low density EC region- try Africa and the Middle East (I really pick them well don't I) ;)

Anyway - by planting EC's in these regions I feel that I have contributed to our pastime, while inititated others to place ECs too. I still have far more hides than finds - and have found all but a few within a few 100km from home. Remianing ones are all in foreign countries.

Think also of a US cache who is based on the southern end of Miami - they have a few 10e first out of state EC. Hawaii, Japan, China, Russia, Iceland, Alaska, parts of Canada, Namibia (actually ost of Africa - even within South Africa it can be a challenge - especially for those in Cape Town area), the whole of South America, Pacific islanders etc.

It is challengne - but that makes getting Platinum all the more sweeter!

That said - I do not oppose another EC class.

I'm in Alaska. As of right now, I have 6 logged finds and 6 more I have yet to log. I have 0 in states/countries other than Alaska. For me to find an EarthCache to even obtain my Bronze level, I'd have to either fly or have a passport/enhanced ID and drive at least 12 hours each way.

As of right now, I also do not have sufficient leave from my job to take a trip of this nature. I'm working my way toward a local challenge cache - 20 Alaskan ECs. At a minimum, this will require a road trip of at least 8-10 hours each way (but no border crossing). These are the cards I have been dealt, and I will do the best I can with them.

I'm in Alaska. As of right now, I have 6 logged finds and 6 more I have yet to log. I have 0 in states/countries other than Alaska. For me to find an EarthCache to even obtain my Bronze level, I'd have to either fly or have a passport/enhanced ID and drive at least 12 hours each way.

As of right now, I also do not have sufficient leave from my job to take a trip of this nature. I'm working my way toward a local challenge cache - 20 Alaskan ECs. At a minimum, this will require a road trip of at least 8-10 hours each way (but no border crossing). These are the cards I have been dealt, and I will do the best I can with them.

Great idea on the challeneg - perhaps this could be the new level then - 5 or 10 EC's in a single state/country?

Great idea on the challeneg - perhaps this could be the new level then - 5 or 10 EC's in a single state/country?

That sounds very resonable to me...

It wasn't my idea - it's just a challenge cache I came across near my home coords: GC21QXG

If you liked that one, there's more! There's another EarthCache challenge cache nearby. It's kind of like tic-tac-toe using EarthCache topics to make a line. It's hard to explain but if you check it out, I'm sure it will probably make more sense: GC1ERJ8

It wasn't my idea - it's just a challenge cache I came across near my home coords: GC21QXG

If you liked that one, there's more! There's another EarthCache challenge cache nearby. It's kind of like tic-tac-toe using EarthCache topics to make a line. It's hard to explain but if you check it out, I'm sure it will probably make more sense: GC1ERJ8

They're both cool ideas (don't know whether they would strictly meet mystery cache guidelines tho?).

I'm tempted to see if something similar could be done down on this side of the world.

Can't you buy the pins from Earthcache.org now anyway?

What does that have to do with completing the challenges?

If you believe you are entitled to the pin for finding six Earthcaches within a 100 mile radius of your house or whatever, then just buy the pin.

Can't you buy the pins from Earthcache.org now anyway?

What does that have to do with completing the challenges?

If you believe you are entitled to the pin for finding six Earthcaches within a 100 mile radius of your house or whatever, then just buy the pin.

After you complete the challenge, you mean? Okay.

My answer to the original post would be that there should be a couple of different ways to become a Platinum Master, not just the one in place now. For example, if you complete 30 EarthCaches in your own state or one state, and do not wish to develop an Earthcache, you should be a Platinum Master. The same with Bronze, Silver, and Gold, there should be a couple of ways to qualify for them, not just the one the Groundspeak King says is the only way.

My answer to the original post would be that there should be a couple of different ways to become a Platinum Master, not just the one in place now. For example, if you complete 30 EarthCaches in your own state or one state, and do not wish to develop an Earthcache, you should be a Platinum Master. The same with Bronze, Silver, and Gold, there should be a couple of ways to qualify for them, not just the one the Groundspeak King says is the only way.

The EarthCache Masters Program has NOTHING to do with Groundspeak.

I made the rules - they seem to work for the vast majority...and so they stay the way they are.

The EarthCache GrandMaster has spoken (so it is said, so it is written)

Edited by geoaware

The EarthCache Masters Program has NOTHING to do with Groundspeak.

I made the rules - they seem to work for the vast majority...and so they stay the way they are.

The EarthCache GrandMaster has spoken (so it is said, so it is written)

Geez that has stured up a bit of a hornets nest. :mad:

My Question was simply could there may be a slighly differant class?

But it looks like the "Power To Be" has spoken so it looks like my sugestoin is Dead in the water !!!!

No if's. No But. End of storie!!

Edited by Rigger64

Anyone interested in starting our own way of doing it?? We can get pins made up just about anywhere and we could make our own requirements.

You can do what you like but be aware that the Geological Society of America (EarthCache folks) are VERY protective of their logos and trademarks so you'd not wanna be messin with those images/words.

*Edit for spelling

Edited by Lostby7

Yeah, you're probably right, it might be more of a hassle than it would be worth. It's just a shame that the people that run the thing couldn't care less what the cachers themselves think might be a good ideal. I've read on several different threads that cache seekers would like a different way of reaching levels but it doesn't look like that makes much difference. Oh well, I guess I'll just plug along. I can live with the fact that if I find 30 in my own state I've done much more than it takes to become a "platinum master". I'll call myself a "State Platinum Master". I just won't mention the word "Earthcache".

Edited by kwhart

Yeah, you're probably right, it might be more of a hassle than it would be worth. It's just a shame that the people that run the thing couldn't care less what the cachers themselves think might be a good ideal. I've read on several different threads that cache seekers would like a different way of reaching levels but it doesn't look like that makes much difference. Oh well, I guess I'll just plug along. I can live with the fact that if I find 30 in my own state I've done much more than it takes to become a "platinum master". I'll call myself a "State Platinum Master". I just won't mention the word "Earthcache".

Actually you are very wrong. We listen and care a lot about what people think - and follow what seems to be the best for the majority! We have run the program now for many years and the system works....changing it mid stream to cater for a few would damage the system for the vast majority.

We have been toying with additional levels and schemes for a while now......I guess it is a matter of 'watch this space' to see what falls out.

Actually you are very wrong. We listen and care a lot about what people think - and follow what seems to be the best for the majority! We have run the program now for many years and the system works....changing it mid stream to cater for a few would damage the system for the vast majority.

We have been toying with additional levels and schemes for a while now......I guess it is a matter of 'watch this space' to see what falls out.

Thank you!! I realize not enough of us say that, but Thank You for the web site and the fun hobby that is made possible because of the web site and the other things you and your helpers do. That is all I was asking, is that someone think about us that are in a place that is very hard and very expensive to get to another state to work on an Earthcache requirement. If you count TX, AK, Australia, New Zealand, Greenland, etc, etc there are probably more of us than you might think. I am much closer to Mexico than any other US State but I'm sure as hell not going to Mexico to do any caches!! Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.