Vehicle Travel Bug -Static Cling?

TeamTardis

Welcome to Geocaching Team Tardis!

We have a Geo Doggin' It TB, too. Just like any TB or Geocoin, the geocacher will write down the code on the TB and then go to the TB section, enter the code and they will discover your TB and can log the find.

The fun is that you don't know where this TB will be found, at the grocery store, at the baseball field, or at a Geocaching Event.

Just as long as no-one takes it home! :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

The mwellmans

Just as long as no-one takes it home! :cry:

Yes, I actually had someone grab my Nissan into his inventory, then drop it into a cache. :)

Hello,

I am new at geocaching, just trying to figure out the vehicle travel bug static cling aswell. You say someone grabbed you Nissan into his inventory, then drp it into a cache. How did they drop it into a cache? Do they take the actual cling or just the number? I am also wondering about the Cachekinz Dog Tag http://3geeks.ca/catalog/index.php?main_pa...products_id=541. Do you know if just the number is obtained from the dog or the actual tag?

Thanks

hotdoglady

There is no physical retrieval or exchange of anything here. The vehicle is never placed in a cache and the cling, decal or magnet is never removed from the vehicle it is attached to.

Geocachers who spot the vehicle with the Travel Bug on it write down the tracking number. They then log a Discovered log on the Travel Bug's page. The bug is never placed into a physical cache nor is it logged as being placed in a cache online.

There is no physical retrieval or exchange of anything here. The vehicle is never placed in a cache and the cling, decal or magnet is never removed from the vehicle it is attached to.

Geocachers who spot the vehicle with the Travel Bug on it write down the tracking number. They then log a Discovered log on the Travel Bug's page. The bug is never placed into a physical cache nor is it logged as being placed in a cache online.

Thank you, that's what I thought. Now what about the pet tag? Does that stay on the dog or can someone take that?

http://3geeks.ca/catalog/index.php?main_pa...products_id=541

Same as a Travel Bug. You could have it travel, or you could travel with your dog.

Actually, I think it is intended to stay on the dog's collar.

It's the tracking number that is important, not so much the tag. If you should lose your tag and copy, you can still use the number. You bought it!

Thank you :)

This topic brings to mind an interesting idea. Does it exist to have a TB number on a shirt with the travelbug logo? I have a personal TB for just myself (technically attached to my caching bag), but if I could have a big TB symbol on my back with the number that'd be awesome.

Hold on. Trackables are tracked from cache to cache, or as being in someone's hands (Inventory). Do these always appear as being in the owner's hands? I suppose the owner could dip it into and out of caches they visit, but what about someone else discovering your car sticker parked somewhere where there are no caches? Are the retrieve, grab and place options disabled for these ones, or can people get silly and "put" their cars in micros online?

Hold on. Trackables are tracked from cache to cache, or as being in someone's hands (Inventory). Do these always appear as being in the owner's hands? I suppose the owner could dip it into and out of caches they visit, but what about someone else discovering your car sticker parked somewhere where there are no caches? Are the retrieve, grab and place options disabled for these ones, or can people get silly and "put" their cars in micros online?

Actually, they are Travel Bugs in every sense of the word. They are meant for "discovery" only, but all functions (I believe) are active. As such, you can plan on trying to have some entries corrected (hopefully no more than just the rare occasion).

There are other ways of doing the same type of TB. Think of a shirt being worn, or a backpack with a trackable (TB) patch sewn on it, or for that matter a tattoo!

A discover log as you will note, no longer shows a "location", only the fact that it was discovered, whether residing in a cache or not!

The vehicle Travel Bugs are meant to be "Discovered" by people who see the vehicle. They are not supposed to be logged into caches of any size. The owner may dip the bug into caches online to calculate its mileage. The bug will always be displayed as in the hands of the owner, except for the minute or so when it is being dipped in a cache (if the owner chooses to do so.)

Edited by BCProspectors

Just put one of these on my car yesterday, and I'm guessing it might be awhile before anyone spots and logs it, but the idea of it is pretty cool. Might as well post a couple pics just for fun!

015-1.jpg

012.jpg

Edit: Fixed the tracking number... didn't realize people would log it as a find without actually seeing it... Thanks for letting me know...

Edited by 2i2_D3gr33s

Actually, they are Travel Bugs in every sense of the word. They are meant for "discovery" only, but all functions (I believe) are active. As such, you can plan on trying to have some entries corrected (hopefully no more than just the rare occasion).

There are other ways of doing the same type of TB. Think of a shirt being worn, or a backpack with a trackable (TB) patch sewn on it, or for that matter a tattoo!

A discover log as you will note, no longer shows a "location", only the fact that it was discovered, whether residing in a cache or not!

I myself put one of the camo TB patches you can get from the GS store onto my hat (stitched the velcro to the hat). Also have a static cling on my vehicle. But very seldom do either one get discovered....even when I go to geoevents!

I have had mine on my SUV for over 6 months now, I am kind of surprised that no one has logged a "Discovered it" on it yet.

I've been thinking of getting one, since I work in a cache dense location. I'm 1/4 mile from a Cabelas store and its TB hotel/cache. There are at least 8 caches in the commercial zone around there, plus another 4-6 a bit further out. I can literally park my car next to the cache in our employee lot. :laughing:

That's kinda why I've delayed getting one, as it almost seems like a waste.

But that's exactly why you get it. You can see just how observant cachers really are when you're at an event. I'll tell certain people about the TB on my vehicle, but at an event I let it get discovered on its own.

Since getting one, I now take the time to look at all vehicles at events. You never know what you will find.